PDA

View Full Version : Components capable of taking 100+ watts

Alpineforever
02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
So I'm looking to upgrade my stock speakers to a component set but I really want to stay with a sundown theme and get a Sundown 100.4

So I want some 6.5 components that can take 100+ watts at 4 ohms or 160+ watts at 2 ohm (if they happen to be 2 ohm components which is rare enough)

I'm replacing my stock explorer speakers, and I know they are currently 5x8's or something like that and I will not have any problems with install, so don't tell me anything about that, I just want some ideas of components that will sound good with that kind of power.

My budget is about 800 dollars

filtor1
02-13-2008, 11:09 PM
that is a big budget. You might be able to find the Rainbow Powerline CS's for that price. I love mine, and have 400+watts per door, so they will def handle the power you have. I will warn you about the depth, make sure they will fit.

Aside from that there are several others that will handle that with ease. SLC's, CMX, Germanium, Profi, Provi Vanadium and on up in the Rainbow line up. Look at Focal, Boston, and DynAudio for even more options.

I am a huge Rainbow fan, so I am going to suggest you start there.

What are your other requirements? Other than power handling.

Alpineforever
02-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Well like i said 400 dollars per set
100+ watts each
Ummm... I don't really have any other requirements, should I?
Don't know too much about the component side of car audio, I'm mainly a sub guy, but my door speakers aren't keeping up like I'd want them too, so they just gotta make my ears ring when I get outta the car.

If its a new component set that you're recommending i buy (as opposed to used) I guess a good warranty would be nice, I'm not expecting to blow speakers but I kind of like the peace of mind of a warranty... I don't know what other requirements I should have... what should I be looking for when I buy speakers, sensitivity, or what?

Other than listening to them I don't know how to judge which ones I'd prefer

kmanian
02-14-2008, 12:21 AM
change your user name to Rainbow4ever and join the club

silvercookie
02-14-2008, 12:23 AM
you could get about 10 sets of PG RSD6.5cs's im giving mine about 130-140 watts and it loves it.

filtor1
02-14-2008, 12:49 AM
It really depends on what your looking for. If you want really loud with no imaging, you can buy a ton (2 or more) of lesser quality component sets and achieve your goals. I personally only run fronts. I will never run rears again. It just interferes with the sound stage i set up front.

I would personally invest in one really great set up front. If you must have rears, that should narrow your choices down quite a bit.

shpatb
02-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Boston Z6 or Boston SPZ6's 150 rms.... minimal... makes your ears ring with out trying and the SQ is amazing... :)

wong05tsx
02-14-2008, 12:56 AM
i have my sd 100.4 bridged feeding my hertz hsks 320+, they love it =D

Alpineforever
02-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Boston Z6 or Boston SPZ6's 150 rms.... minimal... makes your ears ring with out trying and the SQ is amazing... :)

Lol, out of my price range, I want 2 sets of components for under 800, not just for the front
( well maybe this might work if they can take 320+ watts bridged )

I would personally invest in one really great set up front. If you must have rears, that should narrow your choices down quite a bit.

What should I do in the back if I only invest in fronts, and bridged I think the SAZ will give me 320 RMS x 2 What could I get for under 800 that would take that well???

Powerline CS's for around 800??
Hertz hsks for (don't know price)

Any other options I can consider?

alxmlr789
02-14-2008, 01:56 AM
Theres no sense in having two sets of components. Just get one 800 dollar set and bridge the 100.4.

I bet you wont be able to tell that you don't have back speakers.

99StangGt
02-14-2008, 02:04 AM
you running subs? That makes a difference because most comps wont do sub freqs. if you are running subs them most any decent comp will take 100w easy crossed over. I myself have ran 150 to each of my seas mids and 50 to each tweeter. What are you looking for ? loudness or SQ? from what I have heard the PG RSD comps would do well without subs but I still would cross them over at around 80hz.

Alpineforever
02-14-2008, 02:12 AM
you running subs? That makes a difference because most comps wont do sub freqs. if you are running subs them most any decent comp will take 100w easy crossed over. I myself have ran 150 to each of my seas mids and 50 to each tweeter. What are you looking for ? loudness or SQ? from what I have heard the PG RSD comps would do well without subs but I still would cross them over at around 80hz.

Yeah I have two Type R's running on a Sundown SAE1000D

And I'm planning on folding down my backseats once I get access to the woodshop at my old school... building a much bigger box :cool: So I guess it won't make a difference if I have a rear set of components

So i need more than 2 different choices of components if I'm running the SAX100.4 bridged... anyone care to help me, I wouldn't even know where to begin except for the few companies listed by ya'll here, and I don't know if the focals can take that much power?

99StangGt
02-14-2008, 02:24 AM
Dynaudio 240 MKII , Focal 165KPS or any 165k series, ALPINE SPX17PRO, DLS IRIDIUM 6.2. Just to name a few. Any of these will take that power. All are very good brands.

99StangGt
02-14-2008, 02:24 AM
Dynaudio 240 MKII , Focal 165KPS or any 165k series, ALPINE SPX17PRO, DLS IRIDIUM 6.2. Just to name a few. Any of these will take that power. All are very good brands.

zeuolaxxx
02-14-2008, 01:17 PM
hertz MLK!

UCF52
02-14-2008, 02:34 PM
No need for two sets of components!

filtor1
02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Lol, out of my price range, I want 2 sets of components for under 800, not just for the front
( well maybe this might work if they can take 320+ watts bridged )

What should I do in the back if I only invest in fronts, and bridged I think the SAZ will give me 320 RMS x 2 What could I get for under 800 that would take that well???

Powerline CS's for around 800??
Hertz hsks for (don't know price)

Any other options I can consider?

This is just my opinion. I am not in the business of telling people how to spend their money. If I were you, I would spend the cash on one awesome set of comps up front. The decision lies in you. There are several sets that will handle that power. I named a bunch earlier. You already know my recomendation.

I see lots of love for the Boston Z6's. IMO they need eq'ing bad. the midbasses are very nice, the tweeters are very harsh. Some people like that, I def don't.

filtor1
02-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Theres no sense in having two sets of components. Just get one 800 dollar set and bridge the 100.4.

I bet you wont be able to tell that you don't have back speakers.

I respectfully disagree. I noticed a huge difference, for the better. :)

filtor1
02-14-2008, 04:50 PM

I like all of these with the exception of the Alpines. :)

2critical
02-14-2008, 06:23 PM
1 set of C Mass 6.5 components and you will be done period.

93civEJ1
02-15-2008, 02:39 PM
When you run a set of components with the passive crossover they come with, do the tweets get the same amount of wattage as the mids??

shpatb
02-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I never felt the need for rear comps, I can't even hear whats going on back there, i'd personally get a nice decent 6x9 for a fill and call it a day. Two sets of comps will only ruin your sound stage and in effect make it not sound as nice, but thats only my opinion.

filtor1
02-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I never felt the need for rear comps, I can't even hear whats going on back there, i'd personally get a nice decent 6x9 for a fill and call it a day. Two sets of comps will only ruin your sound stage and in effect make it not sound as nice, but thats only my opinion.

Save the money you would spend on 6x9's and treat yourself to a nice dinner. You will enjoy it longer... :D

2critical
02-16-2008, 06:36 AM
:iagree:

lostdaytomorrow
02-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Wow, 800 for a set a components? I know you said you want two sets, but no, you don't really want two sets.

What you do want to do is get a new headunit with that money and go active so you have infinitely more options while sounding better and costing less.

njaykaplan
02-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Look at what i want, the oz audio 3way set. Model 380CS.. supposed to be about 350 rms, get nice and low for comps, and retail is 999 i believe but sold on here for half of that.. I'm trying to find some used right now too, but they're supposed to be amazing..

filtor1
02-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Never heard that set. I have owned OZ in the mid 90's and really enjoyed them. Things change though and I have no idea what their actual reputation is any more.

skinnymofo
02-17-2008, 01:24 PM
the polk sr's are right around 500 or so online.

njaykaplan
02-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Never heard that set. I have owned OZ in the mid 90's and really enjoyed them. Things change though and I have no idea what their actual reputation is any more.

I've heard the 180CS which is the 2way system i believe, and it sounded unlike anything i've ever heard. I've heard bad things about current oz audio subwoofer quality, havent heard anything bad about their amplifiers.. I heard the power series can't hold its rated power from Chad Hicks on here, but i've never seen one of those speakers in person.. I've seen plenty of the matrix elite 10's sound nice and clean with 500-600 watts, wouldnt go power crazy on the speakers but they're not bad for sq.

filtor1
02-17-2008, 07:35 PM
I've heard the 180CS which is the 2way system i believe, and it sounded unlike anything i've ever heard. I've heard bad things about current oz audio subwoofer quality, havent heard anything bad about their amplifiers.. I heard the power series can't hold its rated power from Chad Hicks on here, but i've never seen one of those speakers in person.. I've seen plenty of the matrix elite 10's sound nice and clean with 500-600 watts, wouldnt go power crazy on the speakers but they're not bad for sq.

This is why I stick with what I know. Never had any issues with Rainbow or my dealer sending me bad products. I have had issues with a crossover going bad but I think that they were improperly cared for. I will stick with my vote.

tcguy85
02-18-2008, 12:07 AM
i have my RSD's running active, being powered by a DD S4. the S4 does 100x2 for the tweeters ad 200x2 for the mids. so far they like it. the mids didn't have a problem being powered off of my ZX550.2 either, but up until now the tweeters were just powered by the HU. so they will take 100 watts w/o a problem.