PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my PG RSd65cs

BigBoreDinosaur
02-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Okay, here's my situation..

I built custom door pods to house the RSd65cs in my '94 Chevy Silverado. I have them being run off of a RF P450.2. I installed the speakers and them and connected them. I set the gains on the amp at 0 and the high pass to 80hz. I turned the head unit up to the point of distortion then turned it down three clicks. I then went back and started adjusting the gain on the amplifier. The right side mid started distoring so I quickly backed off the gain. Currently only the driver side mid works, and both tweeters work. I pulled the speaker and tested the resistance with a DMM. It came out to 3.9. I then took a AA battery and connected to the positive and the negative terminals of the speaker. The cone moved in and out. The speaker also has continuity through it. When I push in on the cone I can head some grinding if I push at an angle. If I push straight in and out, no noise. The driver side mid does the same thing, just not as loudly. I know the amp didn't let go, because the tweet on the problem side is working. Can anyone help out?

capnxtreme
02-13-2008, 06:41 PM
The woofer has an impendance of 4 ohms, shocking. What exactly do you think you are troubleshooting w/ those tests?

You should troubleshoot the crossover.

BigBoreDinosaur
02-13-2008, 07:23 PM
I was told that if the impedance rose toward infinity when tested, it was a sure sign the speaker was blown. I used the AA battery test to make sure that the speaker still responded to input voltage, and it did. As far as trouble shooting the crossover, I really don't know what to look for. I popped the cover off and nothing smelled/looked burnt, and the only switch inside is the 0db/+2dB switch for the tweeter.

wu501
02-13-2008, 07:27 PM
you shouldn't push speaker cones on an angle.

capnxtreme
02-14-2008, 03:31 AM
hook up the woofer w/out the crossover and see if it works