PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Audio, Rainbow, or CDT?

Tips
02-13-2008, 01:24 AM
I'm looking to buy a new pair of comps for my front. I think I'll be supplying about 200x2, my doors will be deadened and sealed, and I'm looking for HIGH SQ at high volumes with a good midbass response. I"m willing to spend up to and no more than 400.

I've narrowed it down to:

Diamond Audio s600s - $200
Rainbow Audio CMX 265 Kick $370
CDT HD-62 $325

Is it worth the 200 dollars extra to get the rainbows or CDTs? I'm also open to any other suggestions. I'm leaning towards the rainbows.

kmanian
02-13-2008, 01:25 AM
rainbows

Tips
02-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Why the rainbows? Is it really a noticeable difference?

BrianChia
02-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Diy.

kmanian
02-13-2008, 03:12 AM
very subjective, I really like the sound of the rainbow products, I feel you get very good value for the sound reproduction at any price point with them

DanM7890
02-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Da

t22a80
02-13-2008, 07:38 AM
CDT, you can build the set how you want it with mids, xovers and tweeters.

If you get the HD set I'd step up to the M6 woofer if you have a well sealed door.

PM SENT!

ToxicBanana
02-13-2008, 08:00 AM
I got the CDT ES-07 out of luck (HD 62 with upgraded woofer to an ES07), they are the best components I have ever owned or heard.
Thing is I have not heard to many good components, what I can say is that the store who helped me set them up were extremely impressed with them, they never heard of CDT and thought it was a BOSS type brand :laugh: (they new rainbow pretty well)

Systems I remember were:
Mostly all pioneer speakers and components
Kappa's " Infinity Perfect 6.1 "
Focals (what ever their top line was)

And these were so much better. it blew away the kappas so badly my friend was almost depressed he bought them. (he powering them with a DEH -690 and a Rockford 400.4), it blew it away in clarity, volume, mid-bass and pretty much in every way or form.

The focals were good but the CDT's were very far ahead of them.

Once again I need to let you know that the few systems I have heard focus on insane 3000+watt ungly sounding subs and no SQ at all.
Their idea of loud is cramming 4+ components in a car and jamming it to hell and back.

I remember we went to a gathering and were showing each other out systems, they clearly outdid me in SPL but my (1) component system dominated everyone elses 2-3+ component setups, not to mention mine sounded awesome at the same time.

So CDT Great brand, never compared them to Rainbow though.

Tips
02-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Ok. Works, I guess I won't look at the DA's anymore. They seem to be at the lower end of the car audio spectrum, relative to rainbow and cdt at least. I still don't know about the rainbows...

kmanian
02-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I just sold my Rainbow Profi Van 365's and they were by far the finest speakers I haave ever had the pleasure to listening to. Because of budget issues, I have downgraded, but stayed in the Rainbow brand for now, and a quite happy.

I am sure if you were to go with Morel, DLS, CDT ... or any of the higher quality brands that you will be satisfied as long as your component choice suites your individual choice (Rainbow midbass Kick and Non Kick)

filtor1
02-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I would put the lower SLC's against the other two options personally and would choose them in that same price range. If you wanted to spend the extra coin, the next step up, Germanium's are a cut above those. I have yet to hear a set of CMX's, wish I had though. I am a huge Rainbow fan. I am on my second set and have installed several of the other lines including the new SLC's and have loved them.

Tips
02-13-2008, 09:05 PM
The only thing is, I've heard the Germaniums are more for extremely accurate sq and sound reproduction and are "softer". The cmx kickbass's are more in your face. I prefer the in your face sounding set since I listen almost exclusively to rap. I was looking at the SLCs, but I think the CMX may be a little better.

filtor1
02-13-2008, 09:25 PM
The only thing is, I've heard the Germaniums are more for extremely accurate sq and sound reproduction and are "softer". The cmx kickbass's are more in your face. I prefer the in your face sounding set since I listen almost exclusively to rap. I was looking at the SLCs, but I think the CMX may be a little better.

Cool. Just making sure you were looking at the right set. I still vote for the Rainbows. I hope you get them from a good dealer. There is one here I wouldn't deal with even if they gave me a better price.

Tips
02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Cool. Just making sure you were looking at the right set. I still vote for the Rainbows. I hope you get them from a good dealer. There is one here I wouldn't deal with even if they gave me a better price.

Well, where would you recommend I purchase them from?
The only place I could find was premier-audio.com

You know any dealer cheaper?

tmoney
02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
i have the cmx and they sound good.

Millertime1028
02-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Speedandsound.com

Tips
02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
If I was to run the component set active, would that render the crossover useless? I'm not sure how an active hookup works.

239bassboy
02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Im in the same boat as u man.... only difference is imma have alot of bass so not only do i want that in ur face but i need something that can keep up with the bass.... Someone told me to look into the new SLC NG"S but i have also been looking at cdt

Tips
02-13-2008, 10:28 PM
I've been looking at CDT also, and I think I may go with new CDT M6 woofer with a pair of tweeters and run them actively with an eq. Not sure yet, cause that sounds quite a bit expensive. But completely worth it if it sounds amazing... which from what I here, it should.

filtor1
02-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Well, where would you recommend I purchase them from?
The only place I could find was premier-audio.com

You know any dealer cheaper?

6spdcoupe, the only person I deal with for my higher end customers.

filtor1
02-13-2008, 11:02 PM
If I was to run the component set active, would that render the crossover useless? I'm not sure how an active hookup works.

You can buy an active set without a crossover if you want. They aremuch less expensive. Active is using a processor to cross over your speakers individually. It requires an amplified channel per speaker. If you don't plan on getting a processor or your HU isn't capable of running active, stick with the passive crossover.

filtor1
02-13-2008, 11:04 PM
I've been looking at CDT also, and I think I may go with new CDT M6 woofer with a pair of tweeters and run them actively with an eq. Not sure yet, cause that sounds quite a bit expensive. But completely worth it if it sounds amazing... which from what I here, it should.

I hve always wanted to go active, just too lazy for now. :( I have heard once you go that way, you never go back to passive.

Audiomagnum300
02-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Cannot go wrong with the Rainbows.

bass_lover1
02-14-2008, 01:25 AM
IF you think you'll be going active any time in the near future, PLEASE do not get the CDT drivers.

I'm only saying this to try and save you money, but the CDT drivers are re-badged Tymphany products, usually Vifa more specifically. If you're going to run active, you can buy the raw drivers for a fraction of the cost of the CDT set, and you're getting a nearly identical product.

I'm not certain which drivers they use exactly, but head over to diymobileaudio.com and search for a thread on CDT, it covers I believe everything you would need to know.

Tips
02-14-2008, 02:05 AM
Wait, you're telling me if I run it active, I can get the speakers and tweeters much cheaper? Why the hell are they so expensive then in a set? Am I just paying for the name and crossover then? Why doesn't everyone just buy the raw drivers then?

I've looked into the raw drivers such as seas, morels, scanspeak, and madisound, but the prices seemed so cheap i thought it meant the quality of the products wasn't as good as CDT or rainbows. Am I wrong there?

bass_lover1
02-14-2008, 03:38 AM
Wait, you're telling me if I run it active, I can get the speakers and tweeters much cheaper? Why the hell are they so expensive then in a set? Am I just paying for the name and crossover then? Why doesn't everyone just buy the raw drivers then?

I've looked into the raw drivers such as seas, morels, scanspeak, and madisound, but the prices seemed so cheap i thought it meant the quality of the products wasn't as good as CDT or rainbows. Am I wrong there?

Yep, thats pretty much exactly what I'm telling you. I guess you could say you're paying for the research that went into designing the set to work together out of the box. IMO in CDT's case, you're paying for a name, and I can't justify it at all. When buying them as a component set, you have the simplicity of just installing them and getting away with minimal tunning. Running active does require a bit more work, but it's really not difficult at all.

Lol, I'd say it's a slight misconception. I have no experience with CDT or Rainbow personally, but I have used Tymphany drivers before (Parent company of Peerless, Vifa, Scan-Speak), and I can say from my own experience that there isn't much better out there when it comes to raw drivers.

t22a80
02-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Dont forget that going active can be a lot more work tuning and you have to have the right equipment to make it sound the way it should, I suggest you buy a regular set and then if you want to try it you can just not use the crossovers and sell them later. Also, with going active you will need a 4 ch amp instead of the 2ch amp. What amp and HU do you have?

If you go active and want CDT I'd suggest the M6+(if you can build a .25cuft pod) if not, the M6 woofer (in a well sealed door) and the new ES-02 tweeter. Its a kick azz setup!

PM me for more info.

Tips
02-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks about the CDT suggestion, but the raw drivers idea sounds attractive cause its cheaper. Also, I have the alpine 9847, which I am almost poisitive does not have active processing. Can I not buy a processer or crossover or equalizer (I'm not sure which one I need)? Or would a new HU altogether be the best way to go?

exige
02-15-2008, 12:46 AM
careful, there's only so much truth to all that. people have dug up vifa drivers that they say are thee same, when in reality they're not or not even close. CDT's stuff is built for a car environment, IB. Vifa is built for home audio setups. major difference there. secondly, all the new stuff is tooled in house. sure the ES-01 bears some resemblance to a certain vifa driver...ES-01 is outdated and being replaced with a brand new driver that was designed in house. ES-02, M6, M6+, etc.......there are no other companies involved besides CDT. you won't find other versions of those drivers. i can't speak for some of the stuff in the past, but all the new stuff is CDT's own. they were designed and built by Ken, and they're not built for any other company or application.

t22a80
02-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the clarification Exige!

I have the ES-01's and they might be outdated but are a sweet tweeter none the less!

exige
02-15-2008, 02:18 PM
outdated was probably the wrong term to use there, but it's being refreshed into a design tooled in-house that won't have the large housing on the back. it's gonna be an even sweeter tweeter that'll be your normal 1" dome dimensions in a standard housing.

t22a80
02-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Thats cool, the large mounting plate is a pain to install.

OldOneEye
02-17-2008, 09:55 PM
careful, there's only so much truth to all that. people have dug up vifa drivers that they say are thee same, when in reality they're not or not even close. CDT's stuff is built for a car environment, IB. Vifa is built for home audio setups. major difference there. secondly, all the new stuff is tooled in house. sure the ES-01 bears some resemblance to a certain vifa driver...ES-01 is outdated and being replaced with a brand new driver that was designed in house. ES-02, M6, M6+, etc.......there are no other companies involved besides CDT. you won't find other versions of those drivers. i can't speak for some of the stuff in the past, but all the new stuff is CDT's own. they were designed and built by Ken, and they're not built for any other company or application.

So they are building the stuff in the US? Or is someone else OEMing Ken's design for him (and he owns the design)? Either way, it seems that something similar from Vifa is much more affordbable and looks similar so outside of the R&D costs, it might make you wonder where all the extra cost is.

Juan

exige
02-17-2008, 11:23 PM
The CDT buildhouse is located in Sweden, final assembly in California. The current drivers are designed by Ken, and sent off to the buildhouse to be built. CDT has used some designs from OEM drivers in the past from Vifa...specifically the ES-01 tweeter, but the drivers built today are all CDT drivers. The ES-01 tweeter will be replaced very shortly with a new tweeter (standard size this time) called the ES-010. When the ES-01 is killed off, I do not know of any drivers at all that are using OEM designs. To my knowledge, the ES-01 is the last one. So to put it how it is: All current CDT drivers are non-OEM drivers; they are designed and tooled by CDT, and built by CDT's own buildhouse. Vifa, nor any other company, has no involvement in any of the process. Everything today is CDT's.

OldOneEye
02-17-2008, 11:28 PM
The CDT buildhouse is located in Sweden, final assembly in California. The current drivers are designed by Ken, and sent off to the buildhouse to be built. CDT has used some designs from OEM drivers in the past from Vifa...specifically the ES-01 tweeter, but the drivers built today are all CDT drivers. The ES-01 tweeter will be replaced very shortly with a new tweeter (standard size this time) called the ES-010. When the ES-01 is killed off, I do not know of any drivers at all that are using OEM designs. To my knowledge, the ES-01 is the last one. So to put it how it is: All current CDT drivers are non-OEM drivers; they are designed and tooled by CDT, and built by CDT's own buildhouse. Vifa, nor any other company, has no involvement in any of the process. Everything today is CDT's.

Now, it seems like you are answering a different question. Who makes the speakers, versus who makes the pieces. Sure, the designs are CDT, but are the ingredients they use that much different than the stuff they used to use? I mean, don't build houses have to have economies of scale to be able to survive? So regardless of the who and where, does it justify the price (I mean, nobody seems to be showing a link to Madisound or Parts Express for a driver that costs more than a CDT driver)?

Juan

exige
02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
i tried to make it very clear and i think it is pretty clear....don't twist my words around....anyways lets try again: (Besides the ES-01) no company, outside of CDT and CDT's buildhouse.....located in SWEDEN....has any involvement with CDT. Vifa is located in DENMARK. their factories are in CHINA and DENMARK. CDT's factory is in SWEDEN.

you don't seem to understand the concept that many companies...such as Sundown (buildhouse in Korea), such as Diamond (buildhouse in China).....have buildhouses located in other countries. CDT's buildhouse is located in sweden. they build drivers for CDT. the drivers that are built for CDT, are NOT used by any other company...or designed by any other company. CDT drivers are designed by Ken Persson, the president of CDT. nobody besides Ken has any involvement in driver design. does this clear it up for you?

this statement should have done the trick the first time:
All current CDT drivers are non-OEM drivers; they are designed and tooled by CDT, and built by CDT's own buildhouse. Vifa, nor any other company, has no involvement in any of the process. Everything today is CDT's.

so stop taking what im saying and twisting it. it's clear as day.

exige
02-18-2008, 12:06 AM
And honestly man...if you don't believe me.....just go pull up the ES-02, ES-06, ES-06+, etc,etc,etc.....then find another company who makes those....you won't...because CDT is the only one who makes them.

OldOneEye
02-18-2008, 01:02 AM
i tried to make it very clear and i think it is pretty clear....don't twist my words around....anyways lets try again: (Besides the ES-01) no company, outside of CDT and CDT's buildhouse.....located in SWEDEN....has any involvement with CDT. Vifa is located in DENMARK. their factories are in CHINA and DENMARK. CDT's factory is in SWEDEN.

I'm not sure where you got that I said anything else. Does this build house build for other people? If no other company is involved, is every piece a custom, one off piece made specifically for that buildhouse? Or are pieces bought from a supplier in Asia anyone else can use (lets say for example... I don't know, Vifa?).

you don't seem to understand the concept that many companies...such as Sundown (buildhouse in Korea), such as Diamond (buildhouse in China).....have buildhouses located in other countries. CDT's buildhouse is located in sweden. they build drivers for CDT. the drivers that are built for CDT, are NOT used by any other company...or designed by any other company. CDT drivers are designed by Ken Persson, the president of CDT. nobody besides Ken has any involvement in driver design. does this clear it up for you?

this statement should have done the trick the first time:

so stop taking what im saying and twisting it. it's clear as day.

I understand much more than you seen to think. I have friend who work for manufacturers, who do consulting work for manufacturers, who do design and consultinig work for manufacturers (including doing work for Tymphany when they set up their Chinese operation0 and in fact I had dinner with one of the guys who owns a larger buildhouse in China at CES. (Sonavox if you are curious).

I also understand how they operate. A build house has certain off the shelf parts and certain custom parts. To have a part that doesn't really add that much to the performance (a basket or magnet) custom made takes tons of time and money. The parts that are easier to tweak (voice coil, surround, cone, etc.) are usually what is modified.

So never said Ken didn't do the design work. I'm asking a very specific question. Does the buildhouse that CDT use make drivers for other people? Ken designs it, probably owns the design, but that doesn't keep other people from making something similar, especially if the hard parts are available to anyone who wants them.

So cliff notes:

Does CDT's buildhouse make for other people?
Does CDT's designs consist of only custom made parts, or are they using off the shelf parts?
Do some other company's have access to similar hard parts?

Typically there is a reason that stuff looks similar.

Don't confuse my lack of posts with a lack of understanding of how the speaker business works.

Juan

exige
02-18-2008, 01:49 AM
K...your missing the main point....I've said it quite a few times already. KEN PERSSON, THE PRESIDENT OF CDT AUDIO, DESIGNS TODAY'S CDT DRIVERS. NOBODY ELSE DESIGNS THEM. THEY ARE BUILT USING PARTS TOOLED FOR CDT AND CDT ONLY. NOBODY ELSE HAS SPEAKERS THAT UTILIZE THESE PARTS. NOBODY ELSE HAS ACCESS TO THESE SPEAKERS OR PARTS. my point has been clearly made multiple times now. get it juan?

tbasile1
02-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Rainbow ftw!

djdilliodon
02-18-2008, 01:45 PM
K...your missing the main point....I've said it quite a few times already. KEN PERSSON, THE PRESIDENT OF CDT AUDIO, DESIGNS TODAY'S CDT DRIVERS. NOBODY ELSE DESIGNS THEM. THEY ARE BUILT USING PARTS TOOLED FOR CDT AND CDT ONLY. NOBODY ELSE HAS SPEAKERS THAT UTILIZE THESE PARTS. NOBODY ELSE HAS ACCESS TO THESE SPEAKERS OR PARTS. my point has been clearly made multiple times now. get it juan?

There is one part cdt uses that is an off the shelf vifa part and that is the cast frame used on the standard HD and ES driver :) They have been using that frame since the 1980's on the hd driver and it would be silly to replace it with a new custom piece (just not cost affective). The es-01 was also an off the shelf tweeter. That is about it. The cl line though cdt does not make, they design it and have it built in some asian country. Pre 1995 cdt designed and built for orion, cliff, and a few others. When cliff got bought it was a big account for them so they stopped doing for others and made there own line "CDT audio" or AKA CD Technologies :)

OldOneEye
02-18-2008, 02:08 PM
There is one part cdt uses that is an off the shelf vifa part and that is the cast frame used on the standard HD and ES driver :) They have been using that frame since the 1980's on the hd driver and it would be silly to replace it with a new custom piece (just not cost affective). The es-01 was also an off the shelf tweeter. That is about it. The cl line though cdt does not make, they design it and have it built in some asian country. Pre 1995 cdt designed and built for orion, cliff, and a few others. When cliff got bought it was a big account for them so they stopped doing for others and made there own line "CDT audio" or AKA CD Technologies :)

Hmmm......

t22a80
02-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the info Don!

exige
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM

news to me, thanks for the info don.