PDA

View Full Version : Sealed...Custom or Prefab??

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
02-10-2008, 08:02 PM
I am about to get a new sub. I will be putting this in a sealed enclosure. Can I buy one online and make sure that the cubic feet is correct and be good, or would it be worth an extra $50+ to get a custom box built? I know with ported it makes a difference, but I am not sure if it will matter with a sealed box. Thanks.

bonesninja
02-10-2008, 08:03 PM
dude build it yourself....its cheappppp

btdickey99
02-10-2008, 08:04 PM
don't go prefab...build it yourself so that you can tune it to your needs

BuckyBoy
02-10-2008, 08:04 PM
dude build it yourself....its cheappppp
He may not have all of the tools or the time needed.

bonesninja
02-10-2008, 08:06 PM
don't go prefab...build it yourself so that you can tune it to your needs

he wants a sealed box...no tuning involved

btdickey99
02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
he wants a sealed box...no tuning involved

yea, didnt read that until now...

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
02-10-2008, 08:11 PM
My thoughts, there isnt any possible tuning to a sealed enclosure is there? I have never built a box, dont really have all the tools, and as said, no time. I hear that anyone's first box is horrible, so by the time I buy material twice or more a prebuilt box will pay for itself. Thanks for any input.

Fear Of Theive
02-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Eh i'd say build your self or have a shop but never prefab

99grandprixGT
02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
i got my prefab sealed box for 2 12's on sale from best buy for 30.00 bucks was 100. no way id pay 100 bucks for a ****** prefab when i can get a ported one made for less then a ****** ported prefab was.

budahbuddy803
02-10-2008, 10:08 PM
imo, Dont spend more than $30 on a prefab box because you can build one for $25. If i didnt have the tools or time, i would buy a prefab if it was sealed and fit my requirements. My cousin bought a .8cuft sealed truck box for $30 from the local dealer and why not? You have to buy a full sheet which is $22 anyway so for $8 you can have them do all the work and i just sit back and be lazy. Never buy a ported pre-fab because you have no control over the tuning of your box.

99grandprixGT
02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
imo, Dont spend more than $30 on a prefab box because you can build one for $25. If i didnt have the tools or time, i would buy a prefab if it was sealed and fit my requirements. My cousin bought a .8cuft sealed truck box for $30 from the local dealer and why not? You have to buy a full sheet which is $22 anyway so for $8 you can have them do all the work and i just sit back and be lazy. Never buy a ported pre-fab because you have no control over the tuning of your box.

ya, even the prefab ported boxes are expensive. the guys at best buy wanted to sell me some q logic ported for like 170. i said screw that, im getting one built to my specs for around that.

djessenz
02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
I am about to get a new sub. I will be putting this in a sealed enclosure. Can I buy one online and make sure that the cubic feet is correct and be good, or would it be worth an extra $50+ to get a custom box built? I know with ported it makes a difference, but I am not sure if it will matter with a sealed box. Thanks.

You can get a prefab and it will be good as long as it's 3/4th MDF wood and meets your space requirements it should be fine, especially on a sealed box!:fyi:

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Well, I am going sealed. I have had a few builders give me price quotes, all were over $100. I dont have what it takes to build my own. I would love to, but I promise you it would be better to buy a prefab. I am gonna do some looking around and see what I can find. As far as sound, prefab vs. custom sealed with same size with sound the same, right? Thanks.

BuckyBoy
02-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Well, I am going sealed. I have had a few builders give me price quotes, all were over $100. I dont have what it takes to build my own. I would love to, but I promise you it would be better to buy a prefab. I am gonna do some looking around and see what I can find. As far as sound, prefab vs. custom sealed with same size with sound the same, right? Thanks.
I never got you a quote. :)

Give me some information on the JBL subs you got. Maybe we could work out some sort of trade.