PDA

View Full Version : Boston Acoustics SPZ60

n0114692
02-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi guys,

First post so here goes..

Been looking around on this forum for a while now for some reviews/information about the boston SPZ60's but had no luck.

I own a VW Golf mk4 5-door and really interested in these components. Hopefully will order two sets, front & rear, powered by a JL Audio 300/4 v2.

So, what do you guys think of them?

Anyone ever used them?

t22a80
02-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Welcome!

PM sent!

Echo42987
02-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Amazing speaker! You'll love it guranteed!

Don't let anyone talk you out of getting them. They are great built speakers by a very good company.

-Nick-

redcalimp5
02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Amazing speaker! You'll love it guranteed!

Don't let anyone talk you out of getting them. They are great built speakers by a very good company.

-Nick-

Never heard the SPZ's, but from what I've read of online reviews of them, they're frikkin awesome. I don't think that 75w rms a side to those will be enough power to get them to their 'real' potential,, though. If/when you go with them, I would recommend a more powerful amp.

konechiwa
02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Boston makes good speakers but I think those are the speakers that claim to have 1" of xmax, and I don't think you will realistically see that.

It'll sound good.

spark plugs.
02-07-2008, 08:00 PM
it's between boston acoustics spz60's or rainbow profis for my next set of components. i have had plenty of boston acoustics component speakers and none have left me dissappointed.

but do plan on getting a good amp if you're getting spz's

n0114692
02-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Ooops...

I should have read your posts before i purchased them lol

Just bought two sets (front and rear) and a JL 300/4. On the way to me now.

So, youve said 75rms wont be enough to see the 'true' power... anything i can do now?

Konechiwa - I do not understand what you mean by 'those are the speakers that claim to have 1" of xmax.' Can you explain?

Thanks for your replies.

lostdaytomorrow
02-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Ooops...

So, youve said 75rms wont be enough to see the 'true' power... anything i can do now?

Konechiwa - I do not understand what you mean by 'those are the speakers that claim to have 1" of xmax.' Can you explain?

Thanks for your replies.
Where did you get them and for how much?

Regarding the 1" xmax comment, he is just saying that's probably a little exaggeration on the part of Boston, it won't cause any problems though.

HCCA
02-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Ooops...

Thanks for your replies.

Actually, these are 3 ohm speakers, so you might get a little more power from them, as they should produce more power into a 3 ohm load than the rated 4 ohm. Also, many amps will make more power than they advertise. I'm not sure about the JL's though. You will not be in bad shape, but the SPZ's just won't get as loud as you might want, on less than 100W/side.

mikey7182
02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
From what I remember about the JL / amps, they put out the same power from anywhere between 1.5 and 4 ohms, so the 3 ohm speakers won't help you out using JL amps. Depending on the sound you're going for, you may want to bridge the 300/4 to one set of components for the front and return the other set. You'll get a lot better imaging this way by getting rid of the rear fill, or speakers in the back. Then you can use the extra money for your subs/amp. Those SPZs should be plenty loud for 1 pair to fill up that little cabin, and I think bridged, each side should see 150w or so.

n0114692
02-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all your replies so far, they've been very helpful.

LostDayTomorrow - The speakers were brought from a store called indoaudio.

Mikey7182 - I like your idea about bridging the 300/4 i was thinking that this could be a good solution to my problem however i would prefer to keep the rears and get another 300/4.

So, if i have 2 sets of SPZ's (front and rear) running off 2 JL 300/4 amps (150rms to each component) will the SPZ's nearly reach there potential or would more power still be needed?

Regarding the sub and amp, i purchased a 13.5W7 and a 1000/1 however i will be selling these as someone decided to key half of my car so need to get that repaired first!

May settle for a 10W7 in the future although saying that i just saw the JL 12TW5-4 and looks very impressive for size and weight.

jon.cole
02-10-2008, 11:28 PM
you should just buy the 450/4 instead of two 300/4's

n0114692
02-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Good suggestion however a 450/4 will have 112rms where as two 300/4's will have 150rms. A previous reply suggested that the components require alot of power so wont 150rms be better than 112?

By the way, i have just recieved my 1000/1 so if there is a way of running the components of this amp i could sell the 300/4?

t22a80
02-11-2008, 08:12 AM
If you got room for it this would be a decent amp on the cheap for your comps.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291299

200 x 4 and its probably more efficient than those power hungry JL amps!

zeuolaxxx
02-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Depending on the sound you're going for, you may want to bridge the 300/4 to one set of components for the front and return the other set. You'll get a lot better imaging this way by getting rid of the rear fill, or speakers in the back. Then you can use the extra money for your subs/amp. Those SPZs should be plenty loud for 1 pair to fill up that little cabin, and I think bridged, each side should see 150w or so.

x2! rear fill is a waste of money!

n0114692
02-11-2008, 10:02 AM
x2! rear fill is a waste of money!

Why?

zeuolaxxx
02-11-2008, 10:42 AM
If you're getting the proper imaging, balance, etc, from your front speakers, THEY will provide the rear fill. The rear fill from a live performance comes from the stage. Also running rears in stereo will hurt the front sound stage and imaging. Do a search on rear fill, you will find many others who say the same thing.

You would be better off getting better front comps for the front, better speaker placement, or more damping/ better install, and also sound deadner! depending on what you need.

HCCA
02-12-2008, 01:51 AM
If you're getting the proper imaging, balance, etc, from your front speakers, THEY will provide the rear fill. The rear fill from a live performance comes from the stage. Also running rears in stereo will hurt the front sound stage and imaging. Do a search on rear fill, you will find many others who say the same thing.

You would be better off getting better front comps for the front, better speaker placement, or more damping/ better install, and also sound deadner! depending on what you need.

Ditto!!, AMEN, X2...

shpatb
02-13-2008, 02:00 AM
yeah two sets of the z's is intense, and way over kill. You should of just gotten a boston amp the 24 or 28 perferably, I have the z6's in the front and that already kills my ears, anything more then that would just be stupid, and ruin the sound stage of the car. You're better off geting the w7 or 555 and calling it a day. The SPZs wont let you down, but two of them is too much. like the other guy said, spend the money on something like sound dentening or better amps... gl.

HCCA
02-13-2008, 02:23 AM
yeah two sets of the z's is intense, and way over kill. You should of just gotten a boston amp the 24 or 28 perferably, I have the z6's in the front and that already kills my ears, anything more then that would just be stupid, and ruin the sound stage of the car. You're better off geting the w7 or 555 and calling it a day. The SPZs wont let you down, but two of them is too much. like the other guy said, spend the money on something like sound dentening or better amps... gl.
Not to take anything away from what shpatb said, but if you own or have used a good set of Head phones, you should know why ONE pair will work. The stereo recording is only two tracks. When you listen to a a great recording with headphones you will notice that the soundfield is not from the rear, but from the front. Even though both speakers are directly from the side. This is why one pair in the front is ideal. If you go adding speakers, indescriminately to the soundfield, without DSP, you will smear or blurr the soundstage image. You MUST have surround sound processing, or the extra speakers are a waste of time...period!

n0114692
02-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Hi guys, thanks for all your replies they've been very useful. Still doing a bit of research into imaging as it is quite new to me as is surround sound processing.

The speakers and amp have arrived now and i understand what you are saying by only using one pair. But do you honestly see me getting back what i paid for these components?? If i am going to loose money why sell?

cx-7heaven
02-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Return the 4 channel, and get yourself a strong 2 channel, or 2 smaller 2 channel amps.. ex. 2 sundown sax100.2's. Run the 2 channel amps in dual mono to each set, those z's will love 400 watts!!

t22a80
02-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Return the 4 channel, and get yourself a strong 2 channel, or 2 smaller 2 channel amps.. ex. 2 sundown sax100.2's. Run the 2 channel amps in dual mono to each set, those z's will love 400 watts!!

Yah thats a good idea too!

Those Sundown's are nasty amps. They have some serious power for a 100x2!

zeuolaxxx
02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
buy some sound deadner too!

n0114692
02-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Sound deadner already ordered, 60sft on its way... not sure when though :s

shpatb
02-14-2008, 02:07 AM
400 watts is too much... mine almost blew out with only the boston gt24. I personally wouldn't get anything but the GT24 or the GT28 to run them. The nice thing about the cross overs on those things is that they have small lights that take any extra distortion power from the amps :) so if you see those lights starting to slowly dim on or turn a little bright, turn it down real quick before the midbass driver melts on you :)

n0114692
02-14-2008, 07:28 AM
I was think 400watts is too much.. Manual says they are roughly 150rms. I was considering the GT24/28 but i got the JL very cheap and brand new so couldnt say no. I understand what you are saying that 75rms wont be enough but i think im going to stick with this until i can get hold of the 600/4.

The crossovers are huge, they're each the size of a brick.. Literally. Where do you hide yours?

Cant wait to get these installed!!

HCCA
02-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Actually, the rating is conservative for safety, and warranty purposes. You can feed them up to 300 CLEAN watts, and you will be fine. The GT-24 will work just fine. Though, you said you have the JL amps already.

shpatb
02-14-2008, 10:52 PM
i put my cross overs in the trunk next to the amps. :)

n0114692
02-15-2008, 06:43 AM
I think im going to stick with the one JL 300/4 for now. Atleast with 75watts there won't be much chance of breaking them lol... Will deffinitely be upgrading in the near future though. Ive been on a few websites and noticed alot of new gear is coming out mid 2008 so will wait and see the reviews on them before i buy anything..

I know shpatb owns a pair of these, does anybody else? Just wanted to know if they're as good as what ive read in a few reviews.

shpatb
02-15-2008, 05:12 PM
I just love how great the sound detail is at whatever volume its set at, I personally need more sound denteing, i'm notecing alot of rattle in the doors and in the trunk, i'll get around to it when it gets warmer considering its 0 degrees here...

HCCA
02-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, I had purchased two pair of the Pro 60's before they came out with the SPZ's. I had planned on using the other pair as back-up in case I blew something, but I think I would rather get a set of the SPZ's and use the Pro's as back-up! Anyone interested in apair of Pro 60's NIB?

n0114692
02-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info.. I was looking through the manual and noticed that it advised to keep the tweeter in the current location and not to seperate it from the main component. .?

mikey7182
02-16-2008, 02:06 PM
That depends on how your setup is, but you can run them as separates. As far as using the JL amp, I'll be honest with ya... 75 watts is not going to come close to waking those speakers up. They will sound okay at best, but probably very anemic compared to how they will sound with some proper power. If you want to hear the difference I'm talking about, run them at 75w/channel, then run them bridged so they'll see about 150w/side and see if you can hear the difference. I'm not talking about louder necessarily. They should sound a lot cleaner and lively.

t22a80
02-16-2008, 07:06 PM
This amp would be a better match for those comps. Its underrated at 100X4 and is much more efficient than the JL amp.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290906

Sell the JL and buy a Sundown 100.4.

benjames
02-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Bostons FTW!!!!

If ya gonna have 2 sets, ya gotzta put em both in the front doors for TOTAL BLISS!!!!!!

I give my Z6 sets 300WRMS per speaker (1200WRMS all up), and I Luuuuuuuurve it!!!!!:D

http://www.lavendergreenooaks.com/Temporary/DOORSOPEN2.jpg

http://www.lavendergreenooaks.com/Temporary/DOORSOPEN1.jpg

IMO you have to pump at least 150watts per speaker into the Pros/Zs/SPZs to get them bishes screeeeeaming!!!

n0114692
02-17-2008, 05:07 PM
wtf!!? Two spz's in the front?? So i guess my intial thought of 75watts was an underestimate. Well i'll try and sell the 300/4 and get a more powerul amp =(

shpatb
03-09-2008, 01:16 AM
that is sick, i'm not even going to lie, i want something like that soon. just intense dude. ahhahaha awesome!!!

FEUER
11-19-2008, 05:52 PM
I have them in the stock front door location of my new truck. My doors are completely lined with Dynamat extreme. They are powered by a JL 600/4HD.
I also have an Audio Control EQL and have spent countless hours tweaking the EQ and I am completely disappointed with them.
Also, at loud volume I can hear them bottoming out, so I don't know about the 1" excursion.

I'm sure those of you who also own them will blast me on this post, but I would sell mine in a second if I could find anyone to buy them.

I later added the Pro60 SE for rear fill and don't have anything good to say about them as well.

mcsoul
11-19-2008, 06:39 PM
the 300/4 will bridge for 150w x 2ch from 3 to 8 ohms.
So bridge it on the spz's up front and run cheapo BA coax's
for your rears off deck power (fade them out unless someone
is sitting back there and complains).

JrVtecAccord
11-19-2008, 07:35 PM
I have them in the stock front door location of my new truck. My doors are completely lined with Dynamat extreme. They are powered by a JL 600/4HD.
I also have an Audio Control EQL and have spent countless hours tweaking the EQ and I am completely disappointed with them.
Also, at loud volume I can hear them bottoming out, so I don't know about the 1" excursion.

I'm sure those of you who also own them will blast me on this post, but I would sell mine in a second if I could find anyone to buy them.

I later added the Pro60 SE for rear fill and don't have anything good to say about them as well.

Do you have any install pics of the sound deadening you did. I have two to three layers on the outer skin, one layer in the back front skin and another layer on the front skin followed by a layer of dynaliner. They should sound great with GREAT mid bass.

I just recently installed mines and only powering them with HU power and they sound great! I too plan to run a HD600/4. What frequency do you have the HP crossover at? If they bottom out you might have them set too low or not set at all.

Side note, how do you like the JL HD amp?

the 300/4 will bridge for 150w x 2ch from 3 to 8 ohms.
So bridge it on the spz's up front and run cheapo BA coax's
for your rears off deck power (fade them out unless someone
is sitting back there and complains).

He has the HD600/4 which does 150wrms unbridged.

WhoSayWho?
11-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all your replies so far, they've been very helpful.

LostDayTomorrow - The speakers were brought from a store called indoaudio.
:crap:

Just be glad you recieved them then.

00poop6x
11-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Dude that *****... indoaudio:(

dumb move