PDA

View Full Version : where do I mount my component's crossover?

rcracer78
02-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I am considering purchasing 2 pairs of JL Audio VR650CSI's. Where is the best location to mount the crossovers. Should I place it somewhere accessible or in the doors.

If somewhere accessible.....where?

tcguy85
02-06-2008, 07:47 PM
where ever you want.

UCF52
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
where ever you want.

aww c'mon. Now he is going to mount it in the door. :) mount it anywhere but inside the door. Moisture and other elements can get in there and ruin your crossover.

tcguy85
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
aww c'mon. Now he is going to mount it in the door. :) mount it anywhere but inside the door. Moisture and other elements can get in there and ruin your crossover.

ok, mount them anywhere that common sense would tell you to mount them. :D

rollerdj
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
were ever is easyest for you. i would maybe do them inside the map holder on the door panel or maybe in that opening in the bottom side of the dash.

ProgMtl
02-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Maybe ask the crossover where it wants to be mounted...works for the guy doing his taxes in those commercials

tcguy85
02-06-2008, 08:48 PM
i had mine under my driver and passenger seats. now i don't have any. :-)

rollerdj
02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
remeber though. the closer u can get them to the componets, the less u have to run 2 sets of wires vs just the one.

UCF52
02-06-2008, 09:02 PM
ok, mount them anywhere that common sense would tell you to mount them. :D

haha. remember this is ca.com. usually not the brightest bunch of people here. :D

Maybe ask the crossover where it wants to be mounted...works for the guy doing his taxes in those commercials

lol

i had mine under my driver and passenger seats. now i don't have any. :-)

bastard

remeber though. the closer u can get them to the componets, the less u have to run 2 sets of wires vs just the one.

tis is true

tcguy85
02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
haha. remember this is ca.com. usually not the brightest bunch of people here. :D

bastard

yes you are right this is CA.com.

why the bastard comment? :confused::laugh:

MorningWood
02-06-2008, 10:40 PM

I suppose he is "acting" jealous as sort of a compliment to you going active.

tcguy85
02-06-2008, 10:51 PM

yea that was my guess. hahaha:)

Fiercetimbo17
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
here is what i do in most situations, roll window down, find a spot with clearence inside the door close to the speaker cut out.
then i drill 2 small holes, wire up the crossover, get a ziploc bag wrap it inside it taping the zipping end around the wires. Then i get a ziptip and mount it.
Never fails me

ArrizX
02-06-2008, 11:11 PM
i put mine in the glovebox.

UCF52
02-06-2008, 11:12 PM

vv-- hes good.

^^-- you're good.

here is what i do in most situations, roll window down, find a spot with clearence inside the door close to the speaker cut out.
then i drill 2 small holes, wire up the crossover, get a ziploc bag wrap it inside it taping the zipping end around the wires. Then i get a ziptip and mount it.
Never fails me

Seems like a lot of work that is still a little "iffy." Why not just safely mount them in the interior?

Techchild
02-06-2008, 11:16 PM
I was thinking of mounting mine to the ouside of the door panel. right next to the speaker cut out. and just poke some holes and run the speaker wire thru that.

LBC99
02-06-2008, 11:21 PM
i put mine in the glovebox.

me too

UCF52
02-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I hid mine somewhere in the footwells. It was nice because it is very temporary - I am getting anew car soon. Either way I may go there again... it keeps permanent modifications down and keeps everything safe and hidden.

BrianChia
02-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Common sense--

You should mount them inside your headrests with plexiglas and LEDs.

Another idea is to embed them inside the dash with plexiglas windows and more LEDs.

Or you can fiberglass crossover pods on your A-pillars and put them there.

UCF52
02-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Common sense--

Another idea is to embed them inside the dash with plexiglas windows and more LEDs.

Those are my second choices :D

tcguy85
02-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Common sense--

wow.... maybe i should put the ones i am not using in my headrests for show purposes.:confused:

BrianChia
02-06-2008, 11:52 PM
I also thought about mounting them on the rims too. But this would only work with spinners otherwise the wires will get all twisted up. :D

Fiercetimbo17
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
vv-- hes good.

^^-- you're good.

Seems like a lot of work that is still a little "iffy." Why not just safely mount them in the interior?

alot of work? I can do it in under 5 mins for both sides, mount them in the interior and depending on the car running 2 sets of wires through the door boot can ****.
And nothing iffy about it im been installing them that way for over 2 years and never had a problem

UCF52
02-07-2008, 12:22 AM
alot of work? I can do it in under 5 mins for both sides, mount them in the interior and depending on the car running 2 sets of wires through the door boot can ****.
And nothing iffy about it im been installing them that way for over 2 years and never had a problem

Yea, I just don't like the idea of using Ziplock backs in an install when you could take that 5 min and run the wires through the door boots. But hey... too each his own.

Fiercetimbo17
02-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Yea, I just don't like the idea of using Ziplock backs in an install when you could take that 5 min and run the wires through the door boots. But hey... too each his own.

obviously you have not worked on many cars, fords are not bad getting through the door boot but some cars are a pain in the ***, and when there is molex plug its even worse. Also install for a living and i have an hour to do a set of components
But since you dont mind mount them in the kickpanel just keep them away from bundles of factory wiring thats often found in the kicks because crossovers can pick up noise

Techchild
02-07-2008, 01:02 AM

to run wires thru my door I have to remove my door and my fender, then cut the molex thats not a 5 minute job. :p:

tcguy85
02-07-2008, 01:29 AM
to run wires thru my door I have to remove my door and my fender, then cut the molex thats not a 5 minute job. :p:

well doesn't that just **** monkey balls!

UCF52
02-07-2008, 10:35 AM
obviously you have not worked on many cars, fords are not bad getting through the door boot but some cars are a pain in the ***, and when there is molex plug its even worse. Also install for a living and i have an hour to do a set of components
But since you dont mind mount them in the kickpanel just keep them away from bundles of factory wiring thats often found in the kicks because crossovers can pick up noise

Yea, I have only worked on my car. I guess I assumed that most or all cars were similar to mine as far as running wires through the door boot; apparently not.

I do have my crossovers away from any wiring or wiring harness that Ford has tucked up in there.

Wow, that's a lot work.

well doesn't that just **** monkey balls!

x2.