PDA

View Full Version : Need help, changing fuel filter

traksta15
02-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Im changing the fuel filter (old one is stopped up) and when I took the old one off gas sprayed everywhere, what do I need to do to change the old one out? I thought maybe my tank needs to be empty but there has to be an easier way. It's on a 97 chevy silverado btw. Thanks in advance!!

89montero
02-05-2008, 12:32 AM
first you need to unplug the fuel pump and then try to start the engine(should start for 1sec or so then die). Thus unpressurizes the fuel lines.
There will still be gas spraying out but not as much, you can use a vice grip or clamp to carefully kink the fuel lines.

traksta15
02-05-2008, 01:15 AM
I did some research and read that you have to release the pressure with a Schrader valve, but I can't find it. Does anyone know where it is?

djjdnap
02-05-2008, 01:19 AM
there should be a pressure release button somewhere under the engine bay,

looks kinda like what u put air into a tire, just push it down and gas should spray out, then when u go to undo the fuel filter, it will leak a bit, but shouldn't spray

traksta15
02-05-2008, 01:25 AM
I looked but couldn't find it, guess I need to do some more research

djjdnap
02-05-2008, 02:44 AM
should have a tire valve like cap on it

snfsh79077
02-05-2008, 02:51 AM
i have a 97 f150 and i changed my fuel filter not to long ago. you dont need to do any of those things, or at least i didnt. yea gas will spray out but it will stop. it sprays because gas is in the lines and in your filter. so the lines will empty(not emptying your tank) and the filter will empty somewhat. i had to use special release tools on my connectors but other than that it was as simple as undoing the old and installing the new.

Ignatowski
02-05-2008, 07:56 AM
propane torch

mlstrass
02-05-2008, 08:03 AM
it'll be on the end of the fuel rail by the injectors...

traksta15
02-05-2008, 10:37 PM
it'll be on the end of the fuel rail by the injectors...

Where is the fuel rail located?

djjdnap
02-07-2008, 01:14 AM
All the injectors are under the upper intake manifold. Looking at the engine in the right rear there are 2 3/8" inch metal fuel lines, one of them has a schrader valve on it (large plastic cap on a fitting like a tire valve stem). There should be fuel pressure at this fitting when you press in the valve core (like letting air out of the tire). There is alot of pressure 60-66 pounds, so be careful when you press in the valve. The fuel should squirt out with alot of force. If it just dripples out, time for a pump. The pump is inside the fuel tank as you know.

Under the hood, before the throttle body, you will have a fuel pressure valve. Between that and the throttle body you should see something that looks like a tire valve. With the key OFF, take the cap off this unit and depress the little stem that's in there. You should see fuel release from this point. If not, turn the key to the ON position and LISTEN for the fuel pump. If you hear it, try the first step again. Be VERY careful this time, the system is under high pressure, and gasoline, not only flammable, if gotten in your eyes, can blind you.

MrSwiss
02-08-2008, 06:53 PM
i read elsewhere that u can start your car, and pull the fuel pump fuse from your fusebox, and it will kill the gas feed and it wont spray anymore.

Alpine CDA-9815
02-08-2008, 07:26 PM
On every Chevy truck I've owned I've just took off the old one and put on the new one. Some fuel would leak out, but not a lot. I don't see why it would be any different for you.

Falder
02-08-2008, 10:58 PM
On every Chevy truck I've owned I've just took off the old one and put on the new one. Some fuel would leak out, but not a lot. I don't see why it would be any different for you.

It won't be any different, and it'll stop coming out.

Just pull the old one, catch the fuel in something if you care about the earth or the gas that much, and put the new one in. Don't worry about it, everything will be alright as long as you put it back on right.

And don't try to kink the fuel lines, theres no need.

audioatg
02-08-2008, 10:59 PM
This is bad here man. Being a mechanic an all its kindof funny too. Okay sorry to bust your balls. But yeah. Just Take the thing out its going to have some gas spray out it will stop its not this hard.