PDA

View Full Version : New speakers - placement

jrotary
02-04-2008, 10:30 AM
I have a 2006 Civic SI and I'm a total car audio newbie - here is a list of items I have going in very soon:

-Kenwood DDX7015 Headunit
-Pioneer TS-A1372R 5-1/4" 3-Way Speakers
-Pioneer TS-G1642R 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers
-OEM Amp Bypass

I ordered these items from Crutchfield (so fitment is confirmed) along with a Schoche dash kit for the installation - a local stereo shop will be handling what I will assume is a simple job.

Which speakers should I put in the door and which should I put in the rear deck? Does it even matter?

These are simply starter speakers. I will be bypassing the OEM amplifier so I will lost my OEM sub and tweeters. I figured I'd order some simple speakers so that I'm not running solely on OEM 1 way speakers.

In the future, I will add a 4 channel amp, nice components and a sub (and run the rears off the HU). That is why I got such inexpensive speakers - later on, I will use one set in the rear and ditch the other when i choose components.

Speaker specs are below:

TS-G1624R
6 1/2
2-way
Dome
Tweeter Composition Polyetherimide PET film
Woofer Composition IMPP composite Carbon Graphite IMPP
Woofer Surround Cloth
Sensitivity 90 dB
Frequency Response 40 - 30k Hz
RMS Power Range 2-30

TS-A1372R
5 1/4
3-way
Tweeter Design Dome
Tweeter Composition PET film
Woofer Composition Carbon Graphite IMPP
Woofer Surround Butyl Rubber
Sensitivity 89 dB
Frequency Response 35 - 31k Hz
RMS Power Range 2-30 2-35

Thank you all!

Jonathan

JeffM
02-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Doesnt the Civic SI come with a Pioneer sound system? If it does, you'll be better off leaving it as it is until you get something better then those Pioneer speakers that you ordered, which will be worst then you current stock system

jrotary
02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Doesnt the Civic SI come with a Pioneer sound system? If it does, you'll be better off leaving it as it is until you get something better then those Pioneer speakers that you ordered, which will be worst then you current stock system

No - the SI has a "premium" system with a non-powered head unit and an amp. I have no idea who makes the stock speakers, but they are JUNK.

You can very easily see under the rear deck and notice the teeny weeny magnets and paper woofers.

Don't get me wrong, the OEM system sounds pretty good (for an OEM system). It's powerful compared to most cars and the long dashboard and tweeters make for nice stereo imaging.

I'm just wondering which speakers should go in the front/rear as they should fit both locations.

JeffM
02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
If I were you I wouldn't even bother putting those speakers in. The sound quality increase will be minimal, if any at all. You'll be better off waiting until you got a nice set of components and a amp. Although if you really want to install what you already have, then Out of those speakers you bought the TS-A1372R are the better of the 2, so put them in front if you doors have the 5 1/4 opening, and then put the TS-G1624R in the back.

jrotary
02-05-2008, 05:47 PM
If I were you I wouldn't even bother putting those speakers in. The sound quality increase will be minimal, if any at all. You'll be better off waiting until you got a nice set of components and a amp. Although if you really want to install what you already have, then Out of those speakers you bought the TS-A1372R are the better of the 2, so put them in front if you doors have the 5 1/4 opening, and then put the TS-G1624R in the back.

Agreed - the TS-A1372R should offer a bit more punch as the woofer material and surround is made of better, stiffer material and the specs say the speaker plays lower frequencies than the TS-G1624R.

The only reason I GOT new speakers to begin with is that I will lose my tweeters and sub with the amp bypass when I hook up my new headunit.

That means I'd be running solely on the factory 1 way drivers in the doors and rear deck. The new speakers will surely offer more clarity and punch than these OEM pieces. Especially when the OEM pieces are all separate pieces designed to be used with the crossover in the OEM amp. Who knows how they will sound on their own with the new headunit...I'd imagine pretty bad.

In the future, I will get a decent 4 channel amp and nice front components. I will keep one set of the speakers I just bought for rear fill...likely the more expensive TS-A1372R. I'll bridge two channels for a single 10" in the trunk and run the rear speakers off the factory headunit.

1320n12
02-05-2008, 06:06 PM
I know nothing about how a honda comes factory equipt. But it sounds to me like it has a factory amp and a component set,yes/no?
If yes then you arent really gaining anything,possibly loosing. Even though the factory speakers might not be the best.

lostdaytomorrow
02-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Just letting you know it's 6.5" in front and back in your car.

jrotary
02-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I know nothing about how a honda comes factory equipt. But it sounds to me like it has a factory amp and a component set,yes/no?
If yes then you arent really gaining anything,possibly loosing. Even though the factory speakers might not be the best.

Yes, but the amp is low in power and who knows what the crossover settings are like. The new headunit has a lot of adjustablity as far as high and low pass filters as well as a nice EQ. This should help me get the most out of the new speakers without an amp.

I would love to be able to hook the headunit up to the OEM speakers but that isn't going to happen without double-amplifying (the headunit piggybacking the OEM amp). This leads to line noise and crazy loud volume levels with no means of adjusting gain like an aftermarket amp.

Bypassing the OEM amp is best it seems. BUT that means losing the OEM tweeters and sub. Hence, ordering some inexpensive new speakers to keep maintain (and likely improve) clarity of high frequency reproduction.

Losing the OEM sub doesn't bother me either as it's not very good. The new speakers stiffer materials should give me better bass response, but I will probably be lacking overall bass compared to the OEM system. This is easily remedied in the future with an external amp, sub and quality components for the front.

jrotary
02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Just letting you know it's 6.5" in front and back in your car.

Right - when I ordered, the crutchfield site had a very limited choice for rear speakers. Supposedly, some of them can interfere with the trunk bars. That is why I ordered the 5.25" set.

I regret that since it seems most 6.5" speakers fit with a minimum of modification. Live and learn.

The entire point of the thread was that since I have these 2 sizes of speakers, which would be best in the door and which in the rear deck.

It seems like the 5.25" set is made with better materials and despite their smaller size they reproduce more bass than the 6.5" set. It seems like this is the best choice for the doors.

oneflatoniakid
02-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Good luck, let us know the outcome.

oneflatoniakid
02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
You will always get some good advice & instruction on this board.