PDA

View Full Version : Ipod conspiracy?

SuperchargedRS
02-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Check this out, I go to BB and CC to scope out a few H/Us (yea yea I know about BB and CC), anyways I come to find they more often then not will not stock any of the models that DONT need a adapter for the ipod (like allot of the pioneers).

My thoughts on this were that there is more profit in selling a deck and a stupid box that should be unnecessary anyways then selling a H/U that is REALLY "ipod ready"

Not to mention with all the money these companies make and all the minds that work for them how bout this one; instead of trying to figure out a way to make the deck flash half a million colors, making the inside of ones car look like a gay disco, why not take that time and energy and put a usb port right on the back allowing you to plug a ipod right in or whatever... in my opinion that should of been standard at least a year ago; well at least I have a remote which god knows I really need lol :crazy:

tcguy85
02-04-2008, 01:18 AM
ipods FTL anyway.

duece212
02-04-2008, 01:19 AM
screw ipods, how about a deck that doesn't need another box for sirius/xm, or for that matter, two extra boxes like the new alpines do

tcguy85
02-04-2008, 01:19 AM
radio FTL as well. lol

duece212
02-04-2008, 01:21 AM
radio FTL as well. lol

It ***** buying a nice expensive deck, then paying another 100 to 200 bucks just to be able to pay 12 bucks a month for radio :crap:

Yet I still do it because hair nation on sirius is worth it

SuperchargedRS
02-04-2008, 01:24 AM
what's wrong w/ ipods and what the hell does FTL mean?

ryan8551226
02-04-2008, 01:27 AM

for the loss

tcguy85
02-04-2008, 01:28 AM

FTL means for the lose.

ipods just **** when it comes to sound quality. even with the EQ on them set to "off" or "flat" they still alter the sound. ipod are dookie. cd's are the only way to go, whether it be high bit-rate mp3's or aac files or the actual source(real cd).

Millertime1028
lol here is some insight for ya ... . FTL= For The Loss . FTW= For The Win . FTMFW= For The Mother Fking Win . and so on lol

tcguy85
It ***** buying a nice expensive deck, then paying another 100 to 200 bucks just to be able to pay 12 bucks a month for radio :crap:

yea it's quite ghey!

BassTurd
02-04-2008, 01:29 AM
FTL= For The Lose
FTW= For The WIN
FTMFW= For The Mother F'in Win

ETA: Dammit ya'll beat me to the punch.

tcguy85
02-04-2008, 01:30 AM
FTL= For The Lose
FTW= For The WIN
FTMFW= For The Mother F'in Win

already established that :p:

Louisiana_CRX
best thing to do is get a cloned Satellite Radio tuner and get stations for Free....;)

SuperchargedRS
Never bothered me enough to care about any audio loss, I'm not into really blasting my music, so I dont know if that's what your talking about, but I haven't heard that much of a difference.

ngsm13
Check this out, I go to BB and CC to scope out a few H/Us (yea yea I know about BB and CC), anyways I come to find they more often then not will not stock any of the models that DONT need a adapter for the ipod (like allot of the pioneers).

My thoughts on this were that there is more profit in selling a deck and a stupid box that should be unnecessary anyways then selling a H/U that is REALLY "ipod ready"

Not to mention with all the money these companies make and all the minds that work for them how bout this one; instead of trying to figure out a way to make the deck flash half a million colors, making the inside of ones car look like a gay disco, why not take that time and energy and put a usb port right on the back allowing you to plug a ipod right in or whatever... in my opinion that should of been standard at least a year ago; well at least I have a remote which god knows I really need lol :crazy:

It's called Kenwood... welcome to a year or two ago...

nG

ngsm13
02-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Not to mention without attatchments/accessories... the +12v retail industry would collapse...

nG

Millertime1028
02-04-2008, 01:32 AM
talk about making it stick in your head . Explainations out the *** . LOL

BassTurd
already established that :p:

I know. **** my slow typing! :(

duece212
best thing to do is get a cloned Satellite Radio tuner and get stations for Free....;)

guess I need to do some research

BassTurd
02-04-2008, 01:33 AM
guess I need to do some research

Yeah I'd like to know more.

tcguy85
02-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Never bothered me enough to care about any audio loss, I'm not into really blasting my music, so I dont know if that's what your talking about, but I haven't heard that much of a difference.

even at lower or moderate levels you'll still hear a difference with even a high bit-rate mp3 on an ipod compared to the real cd or even compared to the same high bit-rate mp3 burned onto a cd. ipods just don't sound good.

WrenchGuy
02-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Creative Zen Vision M FTW I flip flopped my system with my buddies IPod and the Zen blew it away in SQ. I was tickled.

Millertime1028
02-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Tcguy I agree also

tcguy85
02-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Creative Zen Vision M FTW I flip flopped my system with my buddies IPod and the Zen blew it away in SQ. I was tickled.

yea ipods just add something to the sound, and it's not a good addition. i'm thinking of making a whole bunch of cd's in a high bit-rate AAC format since my new HU plays AAC. i made one CD already in AAC and it sounds real good.

Slammed
02-04-2008, 01:39 AM
Zune + aux adapter cable = :woot:

Millertime1028
02-04-2008, 01:51 AM
High Mat = ACC ??????

tcguy85
02-04-2008, 01:58 AM
High Mat = ACC ??????

whats high mat?

Millertime1028
02-04-2008, 02:01 AM
When I go to burn a cd on Windows Media Player it gives me a few different options to choose from .
-Audio CD
-Data CD
-HighMat CD

When I burn on the highmat option Im able to fit up to 200 songs on one cd . It also puts more Text Data onto the cd including album cover pics and what not .

tcguy85
02-04-2008, 02:18 AM
When I go to burn a cd on Windows Media Player it gives me a few different options to choose from .
-Audio CD
-Data CD
-HighMat CD

When I burn on the highmat option Im able to fit up to 200 songs on one cd . It also puts more Text Data onto the cd including album cover pics and what not .

i honestly have no idea. i have only made one CD in AAC format and it was with itunes. i am pondering the thought of making a whole bunch of cd's in AAC format. like taking all the cd's i have from the same band and fitting them onto a single cd or two. i don't know how much will fit on a single cd in say a 256 bit-rate yet.

mikey7182
02-04-2008, 03:07 AM
Anything like Highmat is compressing the files. If you are able to fit 200 songs on a CD instead of 15, the files are being compressed, thus resulting in a loss in SQ. Doesn't matter how you get there, either thru mp3 or aac or any other lossy format.

BTW, are there HU out there that offer similar controls/access from the HU like the iPod interface? I have thought about ditching the old iPod for something different but I don't want to do an AUX in and control it from the player... I want to maintain HU control. I've got an Alpine 9887 and I think there is a USB adapter out there but I don't know if it matters what mp3 player you use, etc... anybody?

ngsm13
02-04-2008, 10:29 AM
The only way to rip CD's properly is using Exact Audio Copy, and the LAME 3.97 codec. Using the V0 standard created by UberNet.

It results in the best compromise between file size and quality, and is near impossible to distinguish in a blind a/b comparison...

nG

Thedeadly1
02-04-2008, 12:28 PM
It's called Kenwood... welcome to a year or two ago...

nG

pwned

Flipx99
02-04-2008, 12:34 PM
The only way to rip CD's properly is using Exact Audio Copy, and the LAME 3.97 codec. Using the V0 standard created by UberNet.

It results in the best compromise between file size and quality, and is near impossible to distinguish in a blind a/b comparison...

nG

What is the resultant format called?

Reason why I ask...I am curious if the Pioneer USB adapter could read it.

It reads a couple formats...

Mugen
02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Anything like Highmat is compressing the files. If you are able to fit 200 songs on a CD instead of 15, the files are being compressed, thus resulting in a loss in SQ. Doesn't matter how you get there, either thru mp3 or aac or any other lossy format.

BTW, are there HU out there that offer similar controls/access from the HU like the iPod interface? I have thought about ditching the old iPod for something different but I don't want to do an AUX in and control it from the player... I want to maintain HU control. I've got an Alpine 9887 and I think there is a USB adapter out there but I don't know if it matters what mp3 player you use, etc... anybody?

New Pioneers allow you to hook up a HDD directly to the HU.

Mugen
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM

Reason why I ask...I am curious if the Pioneer USB adapter could read it.

It reads a couple formats...

MP3s.

JimJ
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM

MP3...

I'd rather use FLAC, but that's just me :)

Mugen
02-04-2008, 01:13 PM
MP3...

Nothing but my PC can play FLAC though :crying:

Flipx99
02-04-2008, 01:14 PM
MP3...

Well, there is somewhat of a difference as the pioneer adapter can read .mp3 and not flac.

Curious if this mp3 ripper nG mentioned costs money.

JimJ
02-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Curious if this mp3 ripper nG mentioned costs money.

EAC is free, I haven't looked into the LAME codec in a while but I'm pretty sure that's free as well...

Flipx99
02-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I found that EAC website, I found no mention of codecs (or even what a codec is) but I am patient.

EDIT:

I want to compress audio tracks to MP3s, what do I need besides from EAC?
Remember that EAC does not supply a MP3 codec; you may use the LAME, Gogo or the BladeEnc DLLís (or FAAC Dll for AAC compression) by copying them into the same directory where you copied EAC. Then you will be able to choose the installed DLLs in the compression option dialog box. Of course the quality of MP3 is based on the encoder and the bitrate you use. Beside the DLLs you could also specify external command line compressors that will be executed after an entire track was read (and not on-the-fly).

So it looks like an add-on that you download separately.

Mugen
02-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I found that EAC website, I found no mention of codecs (or even what a codec is) but I am patient.

This is the LAME codec site (http://lame.sourceforge.net/index.php)

TonyC
02-04-2008, 01:38 PM

Yeah Creative Zen Vision M here too and I love it!!

Yes, you can buy the USB adapter and control your MP3 player through the deck then.

EricM
02-07-2008, 06:32 AM
even at lower or moderate levels you'll still hear a difference with even a high bit-rate mp3 on an ipod compared to the real cd or even compared to the same high bit-rate mp3 burned onto a cd. ipods just don't sound good.

If you get a deck that uses its own DAC instead of the ipod's, do you still hear this difference?

dwc
02-07-2008, 02:22 PM

nG

lameargs = qw (-b32 -mj -q1 -V0)

I use EAC and rip to FLAC for the home stereo [1] (using a squeezebox (http://www.slimdevices.com/) as home source.) To turn flacs into mp3's I am using a perl script called flac2mp3 which converts to mp3 and writes to the portable hard drive (or iaudio x5, whatever). FLAC for home MP3 for the road. All of the above s/w is free.

[1]yes EAC will use any converter you want, it rips to wav first and then calls out to your converter of choice, be that LAME for mp3 or flac.exe for flac, etc. passing that converter the tags for each song along with the wav file for conversion.

iceteebone
02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Wait LAME is the actual name? I thought he was calling the codec lame. I really to get up to speed with the kids these days.

Fiercetimbo17
02-07-2008, 02:35 PM
in a car using apple lossless via my iphone and a cd it is hard to distinguish many differences.
While i can tell a compressed mp3 file the lossless is pretty good. For those of you saying ipods "add" something are you using the headphone jacks or an ipod adapter