PDA

View Full Version : components and clipping



joshpoints
04-18-2003, 08:44 PM
I was wondering if the crossover box that components come with block out clipped signals. I noticed that when I had my amp set-up with the low pass crossover on THe components put out no sound, so I was wondering if they would not put out sound if a clipped signal was sent to them.

paikiah
04-18-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by joshpoints
I was wondering if the crossover box that components come with block out clipped signals. I noticed that when I had my amp set-up with the low pass crossover on THe components put out no sound, so I was wondering if they would not put out sound if a clipped signal was sent to them.

xovers merely cutoff requencies, if I know anything at all...

components would mean it's mid and tweeter.. that's not low pass. THey will cut out low signals..

now, your amp with lowpass... that means it's only sending low signals...



amp(low signal)---->xover(highpass)

see the diagram on top. There's nothing that the speaker is getting because you've put lowpass on the amp. Put it at high pass... :)

joshpoints
04-18-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
xovers merely cutoff requencies, if I know anything at all...

components would mean it's mid and tweeter.. that's not low pass. THey will cut out low signals..

now, your amp with lowpass... that means it's only sending low signals...



amp(low signal)---->xover(highpass)

see the diagram on top. There's nothing that the speaker is getting because you've put lowpass on the amp. Put it at high pass... :)

Couldn't they cut out the dc current waves that occur when clipping exists through a crossover? I would think that someone could create a crossover that eliminated flat waves, which I believe is what clipping is.

paikiah
04-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by joshpoints
Couldn't they cut out the dc current waves that occur when clipping exists through a crossover? I would think that someone could create a crossover that eliminated flat waves, which I believe is what clipping is.

hmm, I don't know about that one..I only know the basics... :D

jlaine
04-18-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by joshpoints
Couldn't they cut out the dc current waves that occur when clipping exists through a crossover? I would think that someone could create a crossover that eliminated flat waves, which I believe is what clipping is.


Resistors and inductors aren't that intelligent...

And there is no DC current in a clipped wave, it's still AC...

Remember- to a speaker it's just a signal, it doesn't care either which way.

joshpoints
04-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by jlaine
Resistors and inductors aren't that intelligent...

And there is no DC current in a clipped wave, it's still AC...

Remember- to a speaker it's just a signal, it doesn't care either which way.


But JBL sent the following statement to me about clipping when I had a problem blowing subs with an amp that I had.
Because of this your amplifier is clipping very early since it is trying to reproduce a power level it cannot product because of the impedance load and then it delivers DC distortion to the woofers. DC distortion is what actually damages the voice coil of the woofer causing the woofer either to over throw and hold or just over heat the voice coil and the weakest link in the circuit (the tinsel leads) would then fail.

GSteg
04-19-2003, 10:57 PM
clipping may act like DC current at the peak part (long straight line..) , but its still AC.:)

jlaine
04-19-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by joshpoints
But JBL sent the following statement to me about clipping when I had a problem blowing subs with an amp that I had.
Because of this your amplifier is clipping very early since it is trying to reproduce a power level it cannot product because of the impedance load and then it delivers DC distortion to the woofers. DC distortion is what actually damages the voice coil of the woofer causing the woofer either to over throw and hold or just over heat the voice coil and the weakest link in the circuit (the tinsel leads) would then fail.

A giant load of crap.

Clipping will not overthrow a woofer- it's a brick wall for the amplifier. It won't make the cone go any further than it would have in the first place.