PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for next setup...

Mr T
02-02-2008, 02:42 PM
I haven't had anything in my car for a while, so I am looking to to do something VERY simple for the 4th gen Nissan maxima. Of course simple shouldn't promote bad sound, so I am looking for suggestions from experienced gurus...

This time I am going to run dedicated midbass, just not sure how to attack everything else. I thought about running a simple full range driver from ~300 and up for simplicity...

I have been toying with full range (wide range) drivers at home for a while now and I love the sound. I want to carry that trend to the car. I don't want any(or limited) passive components, I only have four channels of amplification, a limited budget, and for the time being no external processing other than a simple crossover before the amp...at the most I would just crossover a tweet up high (5-10k) with a cap...

This is basically what I would want to achieve http://theautophile.com/products/GenesisNavFrame.html Click on series 3 then Studio 16

Except active of course.

So what do you think guys? I really don't like the idea of running the mid-tweet in the kicks, so i am honestly stumped as to what I want to do, has anyone tried midranges in the A-pillars? I know its generally a bad idea, bu maybe some dash and lower windshield treatment may cure some of the reflections...

Trey803
02-02-2008, 02:46 PM
get a sinlge 8"or 10" with 300-500rms sealed or ported depending on the sub. Nice set of components and a decent head unit. Also dont forget you will need two amps one for the sub and either a 2 or 4 channel for the components......look for around 100-150 wattsx2 or x4 for your comp. amp

Trey803
02-02-2008, 02:47 PM
if your doin a dedicted midbass do a three way set-up. If you want to go active with a 3-way setup you will need 6 channels of amplification just for your midbass midrange and tweets

Mr T
02-02-2008, 03:04 PM
get a sinlge 8"or 10" with 300-500rms sealed or ported depending on the sub. Nice set of components and a decent head unit. Also dont forget you will need two amps one for the sub and either a 2 or 4 channel for the components......look for around 100-150 wattsx2 or x4 for your comp. amp

if your doin a dedicted midbass do a three way set-up. If you want to go active with a 3-way setup you will need 6 channels of amplification just for your midbass midrange and tweetsUmmm, did you read my post? I am not going with the traditional 2/3 way setups, I am not a beginner here despite my post count...

Ran components, boring with passive crossovers, did 2 way active, couldn't get my sound stage off the ground without external processing...Edit: Mids were in doors btw, and I want to continue that trend with the midbass...

So now I am looking to do something people haven't really done before. A single wide range 3-4 speaker ran from 300-20k, and the midbass for the rest...just like the ink I posted...What I need is suggestions for the wide range speaker placement...I may have to resort to the kicks, off axis as far and low as possible, and tweeter on axis in the A-pillars crossed with a simple cap....

lostdaytomorrow
02-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Your best bet is asking on DIYMA.

Mr T
02-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Your best bet is asking on DIYMA.I have, no replies yet, also at maxima.org, but again no worth while replies...

Mostly people like the above with reading comprehension issues....just to reiterate, I am not going 2 way active in the traditional sense, and I don't have the budget for a true 3 way active setup...