PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of a single chamber sealed box

Ken448
02-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Gonna be building a box for my std cab s10 when it gets warm out, not positive on the speaker choice yet (10" CVR's if they fit 10" Pioneer Shallow Mounts or 8" CVR's) Qusetion is... If I need the airspace combined for the 2 subs, and dont use a dual chamber design.... Do I still need to use the same airspace (ie .80ft^3 per speaker X 2) or can I reduce the airspace?? I usually build my boxes single chamber sealed per speaker. ALSO, whats the pro's and cons of using a single chamber ported or is it even recommended?

Looking for pure sq and could care less about spl. Will be running about 450W to the 2 subs.

Thanks for the help

tRidiot
02-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Ported is for more output.

Yes, you need to double the internal volume when sharing a sealed chamber... also make sure to account for speaker displacement for both subs.

<edit> You can always reduce the airspace, but it will alter the sound... smaller boxes are "overdamped" and you run the risk of a peaky response with poor low-frequency extension.... larger boxes can sound boomy and decrease powerhandling.

Ken448
02-02-2008, 08:51 AM
I know the basics (speaker displacment, etc) But if you have to double the airspace then whats the purpose of even building a single chamber..

DBfan187
02-02-2008, 10:56 AM
easier

tRidiot
02-02-2008, 02:25 PM
That's it... it just doesn't require an internal divider.

For some, like a fiberglass box, or a strangely shaped box, this can be an issue.