PDA

View Full Version : Focal 165K2P - Door Enclosure Required?

rramirez82
02-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to this lovely forum and was hoping some of your audiophiles and professionals could help me out with something.

I may be in the market for a decent audio upgrade in my car. I was looking at several speakers and really came to the conclusion that the Focal 165K2P's were the way to go for my front/rear component requirements.

After speaking to a friend of mine, who specializes in home audio design, development, and installation...his suggestion was to go with a cheaper set of speakers for my car, as the acoustical environment makes it difficult to get the best out of one of these expensive speaker sets. Additionally, without a decent enclosure to get the speakers to resonate at their ideal level, he says spending the additional money would be pointless and I would be merely happy, but not satisfied, with the end result.

I'm not going to the extent of fiberglassing my doors or designing any kind of custom enclosure for these speakers. Aside from dynamat, some speaker baffling, a processor, and a good amp...I want to be finished with the installation.

Any suggestions?

dimond
02-01-2008, 05:14 PM
kick pods?

rramirez82
02-01-2008, 05:17 PM
kick pods?

I don't know how reasonable that would be for me. I have space for 6.5" drivers in the door and there are no kick pods available for my car.

dimond
02-01-2008, 05:27 PM
well then pretty much you should deaden your doors properly and mdf baffle. Nothing better then a good install for top equipment. Install pretty much makes or breaks the performance

Gary S
02-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I agree with your friend to some degree... super high quality speakers will often sound better in a home than in a car. However, a better speaker will often sound better than lesser speakers, even in a car. Keep in mind also he may not be into car audio... because it can be harder to get sound quality in a car equal to a home system, many home audiophiles simply write car audio off. As far as enclosures... I would have to run the driver through a box program, but... most are made to handle infinite baffle which is what your doors are. Power handling may not be as high as it would be in an optimum or smaller enclosure.