PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut the Dash.......

Louisiana_CRX
02-01-2008, 02:32 AM
Well I'm thinking about putting a decent car audio system in my 76 Cosworth Vega....It only has 38,000 original miles...but was driven and not garaged...though decent and nice for its age its not a perfect car.....the dash came with the older knob style radio....it is a hard plastic....I bought a Kenwood EZ 500 because in looks it sorta favors an older stereo.....I'm also thinking of doing custom kick panel speakers because the only speakers were the center of the dash and in the back on one side...passenger side....Any way the question is should I cut it or keep it original and come up with a different idea?

Trez0r
02-01-2008, 02:35 AM
are you a drug dealer?

PsychoTheRapist
02-01-2008, 02:35 AM
My vote goes to cut that ****er!

Louisiana_CRX
02-01-2008, 02:38 AM
are you a drug dealer?

Why do you ask:confused:

casper97ta
02-01-2008, 04:07 AM
I've seen a lot of classics that will keep the original knob radio in the factory place and then mount a din unit either under the dash or glovebox or console.

P.S- Your stuff should get to you tomorrow, it said it arrived in Shreveport today. Give me a shout man. ;)

mazdakid
02-01-2008, 03:08 PM
car would probably be loud with a sub in it, my dad had a 74 not too long ago but wouldnt put subs in there

Louisiana_CRX
02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
car would probably be loud with a sub in it, my dad had a 74 not too long ago but wouldnt put subs in there

I'm sorta thinking about doing something in the spare tire well.....or I may keep the spare and use the hatch....hmmmmmm.....I wonder what sorta Alternator is on the car...Its been cold and rainey and I haven't really looked over the car much.....someone replaced the factory deck...or I'd keep it that way...It has a Realistic shaft AM FM Cassette in it now.....

UndercoverPunk
02-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Yes, yes, chop, chop.

pitbull12887
02-02-2008, 03:30 AM
glove compartment

SilverSquared
02-02-2008, 03:39 AM
clove department

WTF? LOL. I swear thats what I saw!!:laugh:

Louisiana_CRX
02-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I have some old school car audio where I can go custom tucked away somewhere without cutting...I have a Pioneer DEX M400 which was a mini AM FM CD changer controller...It used Super Tuner IV ...but only controlled the old M changers...which I have also.....It was a componet setup....I may dig that up and see if I can make it work...no telling where I have it stored...lol

22mountaineer
02-02-2008, 12:05 PM
I've seen a lot of classics that will keep the original knob radio in the factory place and then mount a din unit either under the dash or glovebox or console.

Agreed, with the idea, not that I have seen

Louisiana_CRX
02-02-2008, 11:18 PM
I may just scrap the original 38,000 mile hand built cosworth engine and 5spd manual and go with my new 350 since the body is so straight on it....:) I think the plaque number on the dash is car # 2816

speedfreak28
02-03-2008, 01:04 PM
just dooo ittt... i have a 78 camaro z28, not as rare as the vega but i installed a nice HU in that a week after i got it, if i had the equipment you have I'd do a nice install, just integrate factory colors and trim with modern components.

02parkave
02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
who cares? its not a special car...

Louisiana_CRX
02-03-2008, 03:13 PM
just dooo ittt... i have a 78 camaro z28, not as rare as the vega but i installed a nice HU in that a week after i got it, if i had the equipment you have I'd do a nice install, just integrate factory colors and trim with modern components.

yeah....thats why I may go ahead and put my 350 in the Vega also...With the factory 4.10 geared rear end that part is covered....With only 3508 Cosworth Vega made between 75-76 ...engine parts are fairly hard to come by.....I found that out going to local shops like AutoZone...O'Reillys. Advance etc just trying to pick up tune up parts.....The body on mine is in very good shape...but I'll probally chack some buy finders for something else first...If I don't find something I'll turn the Cosworth into a Monster...lol

Ken448
02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
DO IT!!!! I put a Kenwood unit in my moms 67 Firebird last year (a car that is SPOTLESS and has appraised for like $30K+)... Took about 4 hours and A LOT of cutting and grinding but it looks like it belongs in there. I chose the Kenwood because the face tilts and can stop at any angle. REALLY nice for this car since the center dash slants away from the driver! The bezel was steel, and molded for a 2 shaft radio, as well as the steel dash behind it. If she was at my house when it was in-process, she would have had a heart attack to see her baby in the condition it was in :)
Heres the radio:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Ken448/Moms%20Car/FirebirdStereo.jpg

The chrome around the radio bezel is the original bezel, the black between the chrome and radio is a trimmed to fit peice of plexi to hide the messiness of making something work that shouldnt!
she now has a radio she can actually listen to, and enjoy!

BTW, I also put a HU in my dads 66 GTO but that went in the glovebox because it STILL had the original HU in it. No pics of that one, but its a nice lookin setup as well. Kind of stuff I love doing!

Louisiana_CRX
02-03-2008, 07:51 PM
DO IT!!!! I put a Kenwood unit in my moms 67 Firebird last year (a car that is SPOTLESS and has appraised for like $30K+)... Took about 4 hours and A LOT of cutting and grinding but it looks like it belongs in there. I chose the Kenwood because the face tilts and can stop at any angle. REALLY nice for this car since the center dash slants away from the driver! The bezel was steel, and molded for a 2 shaft radio, as well as the steel dash behind it. If she was at my house when it was in-process, she would have had a heart attack to see her baby in the condition it was in :)
Heres the radio:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Ken448/Moms%20Car/FirebirdStereo.jpg

The chrome around the radio bezel is the original bezel, the black between the chrome and radio is a trimmed to fit peice of plexi to hide the messiness of making something work that shouldnt!
she now has a radio she can actually listen to, and enjoy!

BTW, I also put a HU in my dads 66 GTO but that went in the glovebox because it STILL had the original HU in it. No pics of that one, but its a nice lookin setup as well. Kind of stuff I love doing!

That looks nice....I've helped out a lot of friends with older classic rides in putting aftermarket decks in their vehicles....I've done several older classic chevy's...myself including camaros and others where metal would have to be cut...I'm pretty good with the dremel tool....and they trust me on their vehicles...It is just easier to cut someone elses than your own....

jdawg
02-03-2008, 07:53 PM
you sell drugs dont you?

Louisiana_CRX
02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm still looking for a car to put my new Bad A$$ chevy 350 in...I'd like to find an older clean Camaro 78-81 70-73 67-69 or maybe a clean El Camino.....or even a clean Vega ...Since I only paid $6500 for the Cosworth Vega and most any classic clean body is gonna cost that...I'm probally gonna scrap the original Cosworth engine and 5spd trans...and go with the 350 and beefed up Turbo 350 trans...this should make a fun project.....

Ken448
02-06-2008, 10:14 PM
put that 350 into a s10!!! Light, and LOADS of fun!!!!

Vega would be fun too! Everyone has a 67-69 Camaro.. They are as bad as todays Mustang.... Be diffrent!

Louisiana_CRX
02-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I considered a V8 S10 but those are very common around here....The vega is more rare as far as a street car goes.....plus it is already equipped from the factory with a 4.10 rear end.....so I'm really considering pulling the factory motor and trans.....I figure on one of the Vega forums I could sell the motor and trans....maybe even the factory exhaust...because I'll no longer need it....

mdillon
02-07-2008, 12:09 AM
forget the system and mount a big-block in the rear seat. they tend to go a little faster that way