PDA

View Full Version : Broken Components?

FaithOmitted
01-31-2008, 06:50 PM
So I just installed a sub in the back of my cherokee, and it's working perfectly. Now I'm trying to install components up front, but it's giving me hell. I've got the wire all run through my interior and had everything connected, and when I turn on the HU, I get nothing. I put my ear up to the tweeter and woofer and I can hear a faint, static-y version of what's supposed to be playing, but not anywhere near the sound that I want/expect from these speakers. I re-crimped all my spade terminals on the amp and the crossovers, and that didn't do anything. I looked again at my instruction manual and it says to use at least 12 gau wire from the amp to the crossovers. I'm running 16. Could this be my problem? Does two steps up really make that much of a difference? Or is there something else wrong here?

BEAVER.989
01-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Don't worry about using 16ga. It's fine.

Try hooking a mid up to the amp directly, by-passing the crossover. This will tell you if the crossover is the problem.

FaithOmitted
01-31-2008, 07:08 PM
I tried that this morning with a spare speaker as well as with the mid and I get the same result (low static) with both. Any thoughts?

BEAVER.989
01-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Are you running two separate amps, or using halves of a four channel?

FaithOmitted
01-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Uhh good point. So I bought this stuff over a year ago and by now have forgotten which amp was which - I hooked up the 2-channel to my sub and the mono to my components.

I got that all fixed, but now my amps won't power on. I've tried re-doing the power connections and the remote on, and I got nothing. I'm gonna see if I blew a fuse somehow.

matt-H.P.K.
02-01-2008, 10:00 AM
most likely you blew a fuse switching the amps out.

matt