PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass enclosure tips?

mdillon
01-31-2008, 12:53 AM
i am thinking about doing a fiberglass enclosure for 2-12" subs. i have a ext. cab dakota(sig). my plans are both subs firing up angled toward the center with the sub amp recessed into the enclosure between the subs for a symetric look.

my questions are:
how many layers of resin is typically used?
should i used fiberglass matting for strength?

if anyone has any tutorials or build logs to help me it would be appreciated.

jmanpc
01-31-2008, 12:54 AM
Tip: Pay someone else to do it. Its a pain.

mdillon
01-31-2008, 01:31 AM
well im bored on my days off and have nothing else to do. to me pain=entertainment

Cxrazy
01-31-2008, 10:18 AM
well im bored on my days off and have nothing else to do. to me pain=entertainment

Thats nice.... :wow:

hl26
01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
dude there is like a 15 page thread about this in the stickys....

ramos
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
i am thinking about doing a fiberglass enclosure for 2-12" subs. i have a ext. cab dakota(sig). my plans are both subs firing up angled toward the center with the sub amp recessed into the enclosure between the subs for a symetric look.

my questions are:
how many layers of resin is typically used?
should i used fiberglass matting for strength?

if anyone has any tutorials or build logs to help me it would be appreciated.

1. Don't layer resin, you soak the mat and or cloth with the resin. Every layer should be soaked well, the mat becomes transparent when saturated. Pretty easy to tell if your using enough.

2. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES did I say yes . Matting is what gives fiberglass it's strength. Resin alone is very brittle. Mat by itself is soft and tears like paper. Put the two together, and you get the recipe that is pound for pound stronger than steel :)

cheeto
01-31-2008, 05:36 PM
dude there is like a 15 page thread about this in the stickys....

None of the pics work.

maxxguy1
01-31-2008, 06:24 PM
when done belt sander ftmfw

dragnix
01-31-2008, 06:25 PM
troof

SethPhillips
01-31-2008, 06:29 PM
messure twice cut once.. use fleece. soak the fleece in resin.. lay ur mat on the inside and out ( depending on how strong you want it) make sure you have no NO AIR BUBBLES.. other then that it's allot of work spechialy in the sanding and finishing area... allso you can make a soup and coat the indise of the enclosure..
the soup consist's of chopped matt, fiber glass body filler and hardner..

maxxguy1
01-31-2008, 06:37 PM
don't buy resin from a home depot or lows go to a shop and ask them to order you some from a supply house for better resin and hardener