PDA

View Full Version : alpine spr 57ls...

outspoken
01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
just got the last part of the install done today. overall i'm happy with these components for the price paid, $110 shipped new off ebay. when i first installed them i had them running off a sony xplode amp until i could afford something better, so i didn't deaden. had them running at 50 watts rms or less, (sony ya know). today i installed a kicker 350.2 to power them, and deadened the doors. obviously with the sony and no deadening the midbass was near non-existent, and they seemed to distort easy after 48 of 62 on my h/u, (pioneer deh3900). so i figured it was distortion from the h/u... once i amped them with the kicker, not only did the distortion go away, the midbass really seemed to come alive, so i went ahead and deadened the doors with some edead and at that point, once i got the gains adjusted for the sub, and the front stage, the midbass was well enough to shake my pant legs... i also found out that my h/u doesn't distort until about 55 of 62, but i'll probably never have it that loud. these speakers are rated @ 60 watts rms, and 300 watts max, but they seemed to love about 2 times as much wattage much better than what they're rated for...

conclusion: i would really like something better (rainbow, focal, or diamond), the overall clarity kind of lacks in my opinion. the tweeter needs to be set @ -3.0db at the crossover, otherwise it is way too harsh... but at the same time, they sound decent for what they are, especially being 5x7's... i read many reviews before my purchase, and found that most people felt the midbass was lacking, so i was unsure. however after deadening it came alive so perhaps they didn't deaden...
i'd give them a 6 of 10, for the clarity factor, and the tweeter being a bit too harsh.