PDA

View Full Version : Best Location for tweeters

JeffM
01-30-2008, 04:58 PM
I currently have my tweeters mounted on my dash, pointing upwards, and it sounds fine to me. But I've read many threads which say to keep them within 6 inches of the Mid. Any truth to this? Anyone else have there tweeters mounted on the dash?

shpatb
01-31-2008, 01:24 AM
i do, and i think its the best location for them, they are pointing at the window so they bounce off the window. it sounds awesome to me.

ultimate157
01-31-2008, 02:01 AM
I also like the tweets firing off the windshield. Not many do. Most people will tell you to glass them firing directly at you.

snouk dogg
01-31-2008, 05:43 AM
I'd like to hear more about the "keep them within 6 inches of the Mid" statement. Anyone?

BEAVER.989
01-31-2008, 05:18 PM
The reason for this is usually to prevent some sounds from reaching your ears before others.

Nicer head units have adjustable time correction features to correct this problem... for those who are running active, anyways.

snouk dogg
01-31-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand.
From your point, I understand that High frequencies travel faster than mid frequencies.

I know it's not true but could you explain in a more detailed manner please?

BEAVER.989
01-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Its not really that some frequencies are traveling faster than others... more like one speaker is closer to your ear than the other. Make sense?

ultimate157
01-31-2008, 07:25 PM
as 97green is saying, the general saying "Keep the tweets within 6 inches of the mid" is to minimize the distortion of the sound stage. If your tweeter is significantly closer (A pillar mounting) than your mid (In the door) then the sound will be out of phase.

If you have time alignment processing, then you can mount the tweeters anywhere (within reason)

With my tweeters in the dash, I can hear a slight difference but I am living with it until I get a DEH-800PRS.

kmanian
01-31-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand.
From your point, I understand that High frequencies travel faster than mid frequencies.

I know it's not true but could you explain in a more detailed manner please?

All sound no matter what the FREQ. is travels at the same speed. the fact is that the lower the frequency is the harder it is do destinguish where it is coming from, the human brain processes the point of origiation of high frequencys much better than mid and low. eg. when you run a sub at 89-90hz and under you can have it in the rear of the car and you really cant tell, whenyou put the mids in the rear you can identify that they are back there, if you put the mids in the front it sounds much better (staging) well if you leave the mids (mid bass) in the doors and mount the tweets in the dash or a-pillars the brain tends to focus on the tweets estecially when you cross the tweets ot a lower freq. and the mids a little higher. (careful not to damage the tweets) and it creats a decent height for the sound stage. I hope this helps a little