PDA

View Full Version : cmx kicks on an Audison amp.....is it big enough??

yusoslo
01-30-2008, 01:35 PM
I am buying some 6.5" CMX Kickbass components.
I love the reviews of the audison amps but the one I can afford is the 120x2@ 4ohms LRx2 series.

now I believe if I was to feed it a 2 ohm load from the amp I would loose my stereo sound correct?

This amp is 370 bucks new.......is there a better SQ amp for my money or will 120rms quality watts be plenty to make these speakers sound their best

soloXgt
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
i got a LRx2 powering 2 sets of eclipse comps (check sig) each speaker is 4ohm, so I hooked the fronts together to get 2ohm, and same with the back. Each channl is seeing a 2ohm load, all is workin and sounds good. LOVE the amp. Amazing clear highs. Everything is clean and sweet amp with TINY footprint.

redcalimp5
01-30-2008, 01:49 PM
I am buying some 6.5" CMX Kickbass components.
I love the reviews of the audison amps but the one I can afford is the 120x2@ 4ohms LRx2 series.

now I believe if I was to feed it a 2 ohm load from the amp I would loose my stereo sound correct?

This amp is 370 bucks new.......is there a better SQ amp for my money or will 120rms quality watts be plenty to make these speakers sound their best

120w a side for these with the passive crossovers should sound great. Personally, I would consider an Alpine 2.150 if you were considering a 2 channel option to power them. Actual test power for this is usually in the 160-170w range on the birthsheets, and the CMX Kicks can take the power no problem.

redcalimp5
01-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Keep in mind, I don't believe the CMX Kicks can handle a 2ohm load from an amp....they're a 4ohm set.

yusoslo
01-30-2008, 02:05 PM
thats what I thought...bridging them would loose left to right stereo.

The alpine is a class D amp correct? so it wouldnt have as clear of a signal from what I understand.

alot of people say just get an amp with the power you need, but think there is a lot to say about circuitry and buildquality. In the past i went from a kicker amp to a memphis amp and found a whole array of music i never heard on the kicker. I hoonestly may go back to a memphis.

redcalimp5
01-30-2008, 02:14 PM
thats what I thought...bridging them would loose left to right stereo.

The alpine is a class D amp correct? so it wouldnt have as clear of a signal from what I understand.

alot of people say just get an amp with the power you need, but think there is a lot to say about circuitry and buildquality. In the past i went from a kicker amp to a memphis amp and found a whole array of music i never heard on the kicker. I hoonestly may go back to a memphis.

From all the input I've read on the forums from people that own the PDX series amps, they're highly efficient, and are very favorable because of the efficiency, build quality, and high power in such a small footprint.

I've seen the PDX 2.150's on Ebay brand new for about $200-$220 shipped. That's a great deal for that amp.

yusoslo
01-30-2008, 02:55 PM
that is def a good price

yusoslo
01-31-2008, 08:07 AM
bump for any more reccomendations

redcalimp5
01-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Just go with something like this deal, and save yourself the hassle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-PDX-2-150-Mono-Power-Digital-Amplifier-NEW-07_W0QQitemZ130194642531QQihZ003QQcategoryZ39732QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You really won't notice THAT much of a difference between this amp an something from Audison, Zapco, Brax, or Arc Audio. Your wallet will notice the difference, but your ears most likely won't. :)

yusoslo
01-31-2008, 01:42 PM
they look like decent amps...but proffesional reviews have read said the PDX was more for a sub and being a class D is a turn off for me. This amp was reviewed as being a bit hollow in its sound reproducing and lacked midbass compared to other amps. As of now I have it narrowed down to a class A/B Audison and a Memphis M-class

memphis is 280
Audison is 370

SQChevy
02-01-2008, 11:31 AM
The Audison is a great amp. I used to run them and loved the way they sounded. They often also underrate their amps. I would leave it as 120x2 @4 ohms. It will sound great.

LaserRed38
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
You could buy my Audison......