PDA

View Full Version : Should I go ported?

spyd3r
04-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Hey,

I made a couple of boxes for myslef but never attempted to make a ported(vented box).

I just rebuild my trunk in a hatchback VW GOLF and I have calculated that the best fit and maximum I can go is 3.44 CU feet.

Thats the most volume I can do. Now I know you should build a box after you buy the SUB, but I pretty much know the demensions and specs of the sub Im planning on buying (IDQ v.2D4 12"), and I have a week off right now so I might as well use the time.

Im currently planning on running a RF 300s @ 2 ohms x 1 to power the sub. I've measured the output on it and it is about 500watts rms ( I know this isn't the best way, but I plan on upgrading the amp over the summer) and I know its not rated to be 2ohm stable , but what can I say ....I ran a RF power series 10" off it for 3months w/o a hicup.

So now that you guys know my situation heres what Im asking for: Will a well built (tuned) box give good SQ, using this particular sub and amp........Or would I be wasting my time and should I just make the box a 2 cu ft. Sealed enclosre?

If you think it will sound good.....what frequencies would you guys recommend?

ws140
04-17-2003, 08:36 PM
I think it would sound good but that is just from what I heard and low 30's would be good.

spyd3r
04-18-2003, 03:17 AM
Ive been playin around with WINISD and I have a questtion?

When you eneter the volume of the box....Does that include the displacement of the sub or not?

Im not sure...because it has you pick the driver out, and I would asume it has the volume include ... or isnt it?

paikiah
04-18-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by spyd3r
Ive been playin around with WINISD and I have a questtion?

When you eneter the volume of the box....Does that include the displacement of the sub or not?

Im not sure...because it has you pick the driver out, and I would asume it has the volume include ... or isnt it?

I've always thoguth before displacement...

RF power series can take 2ohms, the punch, I'm not so sure.

spyd3r
04-18-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by paikiah
RF power series can take 2ohms, the punch, I'm not so sure.

Heehe,

Well I would imagine soo, but Im kinda tight on cash at the moment and need a new alternator anyway............so the amp is running @ 2ohms bridged and is workin fine. Hey it had me surprised as well. Definetly underated. :D

I will upgraade to a Hifonics Nemesis 750D once I get some cash to buy a new alt and batt. during the summer :p

BTW:

Thx paikiah on winisd...seeems ur right, I was just gettign tired. hehehee