PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer TS-C160r's (Rev) HELLLPPP

tsenfw
01-30-2008, 10:34 AM
I installed my Pioneer TS-C160r's in one door, and started to test them, and I'm pretty disappointed with the mid bass. I can't tell if it's my install or the speaker. Here's the info:

I deadened the passenger door with 1 layer of Damplifier pro and installed the Pioneer mid in the stock speaker location with a somewhat rigid plastic adapter (6X8 to 6.5"). I put the tweeter in the sail panel with the provided angle mount.

I'm Using the provided passive crossover with the head unit HPF at 40hz and I put a layer of deadening on the plastic adapter, also some thin flat gasket on mounting rim of mid. The adapter almost feels like a carbon fiber material but isn't as rigid it has some flex when you put the speaker screws in too tight. I know I should just make one out of mdf but I don't have a router and it will come out kind of ******.

Gain on the amp is about halfway for now, it's run from the front speaker preouts. Volume is ok as this tweeter and mid get louder than when I had all 4 coaxials in. The tweeter sounds pretty harsh to me, sounds like so much treble even after I turned it down on the HU eq just to try and test the mid. There's a -3db option on the crossover for the tweeter I might try.

I covered up the holes on the door with damplifier as I didn't have plexi and I know I can seal the speaker mount better, BUT it still seems like the mid bass should be stronger, it's practically sounds like just a louder coaxial. Could I possibly be underpowering these? It gets loud as hell already, Idk if turning up the gain will help.

My component amp is:

US Amps IS2100, asking 115shipped
Power: 100wx2 @ 4 165wx2 @ 2 330wx1 @ 4
S/N Ratio: 103dB
THD: >.01%
Damping Factor (@14.4v): 110
Crossover: HP 65hz-4.5khz LP 40hz-460khz
Fuse Rating: 20Ax2

So basically do you think my install is the cause of the lacking midbass? Any advice guys?

CrossFired
01-30-2008, 12:44 PM
It will sound better with both installed. I just tried out some 160 mids in place of some JL XR's and the mid bass is about the same. the pioneer sound better.

Are you sure your not looking for bass? as far as mid bass go's, I get plenty. I feel mid bass is from about 120 hz~800hz. I hear a lot of folks wanting bass from the mids? I'm not sure about what you want but I have nice woofers for bass.

nismos14
01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Those mids are very capable of providing midbass/bass from 50hz up, I've got a pair in my car now ;)

tsenfw
01-30-2008, 01:24 PM
hmm maybe I'm expecting too much out of my mids. I'm just expecting double bass that my sub doesn't pickup (12" mag with LPF set to 60hz) to come through on the mids. I think i have the HPF fom my headunit set to 40 hz because I can only choose 40 or 60hz with the HU. Maybe I should set it with the amp's LPF at 50hz instead.

With the sub on it sounds pretty blended and loud but I'm not getting punch from stuff the sub doesn't pick up and deep guitar and stuff. I don't know how to describe it because I'm so noobish lol. Sounds really treble-ly even with the tweeters on -3b.

Do passive crossovers have a HPF on the mid? I'm thinking about throwing in a PG rsd mid I have but I'd have to solder it in (no wire screw like the pioneers) and I'd have to open the brand NIB rsd set I plan on selling.

When running just components in the front do you put the balance on the HU all the way in the front or leave it center? I have the internal amp on the HU turned off.

nismos14
01-30-2008, 01:54 PM
You gotta have both side in first buddy, then I'm sure you will notice a difference. Also afer 10 hours or so you may notice a big difference in sound.

tsenfw
01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I'm prob jumping the gun, I'll deaden the other door and put them in then see.

bdavies11
01-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Also remember to check the HPF on the amp (assuming there is one). The HU may be set to 40hz but if the amp is set at say 125hz, then ur gonna lose all the midbass below 125hz regardless of what the HU is set at.

Gary S
01-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Midbass adds up with more drivers... wait until you install both channels before you come to any conclusions.