PDA

View Full Version : How do you know what's right for your setup?

Domino
01-30-2008, 02:42 AM
First, I'd like to say 'what's up?' Just signed up to the forum. Not new to message boards at all, just have some questions about audio. 1995 Probe GT is the vehicle. I have some JBL co ax's for the rears in 6x8. Full sound, lots of treble. But how do I decide how to what kind of components to go with? Do you need to know what type of music I listen to mostly? Give me a hand.

Thanks in advance!

ebrunn
01-30-2008, 04:44 AM
Start with a budget first.

SB3BabyHuey
01-30-2008, 04:50 AM
Ya from there, you can decide how deep you really want to get into it.
EDIT: O ya and welcome to the forum.

Domino
01-30-2008, 04:50 AM
Entry level is about $2-250? I've heard good things about Boston Acoustics.

Domino
01-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Ya from there, you can decide how deep you really want to get into it.
EDIT: O ya and welcome to the forum.

Thanks, man. :)

SB3BabyHuey
01-30-2008, 04:54 AM
Those are awesome speakers and most on here would agree with that. But do some research and read some reviews. Your budget is a little modest b/c if you jump to a component set, your gonna wanna amp the speakers also.

bdawson72
01-30-2008, 05:01 AM
I hope you know that you are getting yourself into a very expensive hobby.

:crap:

Domino
01-30-2008, 05:04 AM
I hope you know that you are getting yourself into a very expensive hobby.

:crap:

Photography, music/guitars, and speed aren't any cheaper. :(

And my car has a stock amp. Will that due?

bdawson72
01-30-2008, 05:12 AM
Depends

Domino
01-30-2008, 06:10 PM
OK, what does it depend on?

req
01-30-2008, 08:41 PM
to answer your questions, you read. you press the search button and type things and read. you go into the appropriate forum and read. you read for a few weeks or months. participate in conversations asking questions and not assuming anything that you think you know.

then you start making your own threads... not along the lines of 'what should i get this or this' or i have this much money. you make decisions based on your budget and what you read about or audition in real life.

otherwise, if you get obsessed with this... its not my fault.

Domino
01-31-2008, 01:56 AM
See, the problem I have with that is how does their setup relate to mine? I can't hear their setup. I don't know what it sounds like. I don't know what they listen to.

I'm telling you what speakers I'm running in an effort to find the best possible sound. I'm not obsessed, but curious. I want to know whom listens to similar styles and maybe similar setups. This can be achieved by simply asking. I need to ask more specific questions.

bass_lover1
01-31-2008, 02:41 AM
Here's some things you might want to think about:

What are your goals, and what types of music do you generally listen to?
Will you be doing the install your self?
If so, are you willing to do some modifications to get everything to work?
Do you want bright tweeters or laid back and more natural?
Midbass, do you want it to exist in your setup?
Do you have a budget for other things you're going to need? If you run a component set, you'd be wasting your time if you run it off the HU power, and nice 2x75 watt amp is usually plenty.

Domino
01-31-2008, 04:47 AM
I listen mostly to rock. Fact, I just happened to glance at your avatar. ****in' bad ***, you like Opeth. I rarely listen to rock that hard. Usually just mid-90's alt rock to some more modern stuff. Some techno, lots of Satriani, Gary Hoey. I like being able to distinguish between every nuance of sound. I have on the way (free from a good friend in the Fla pan handle) a Rockford 10''. It's all I need in a sealed box. I am currently running in the stock sub enclosure and a JL 6w0. Awesome little speaker, except it's not large or powerful enough. I like mids to be a little scooped. But mostly natural sound, which is why I was told to look into the Boston Acoustics components. I'll be installing everything. I need a 5.25'' up front.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2001/257/h257KDSH99_dmt2p.jpg

That's my head unit. I love it. :D

Thedeadly1
01-31-2008, 09:48 AM
spend 50 on deadening your doors get a nice 2 channel amp.. Id reccomend hsk 165's as comps but it seems their out of your budget at 325 from datboiroy.. they upped the prices. I think eclipse has a nice component set for like 170

Domino
01-31-2008, 03:44 PM
No. No, don't get me wrong, I just won't spend over $350. That's a lot just for some copper wire, a magnet.

lostdaytomorrow
01-31-2008, 04:34 PM
That's a lot just for some copper wire, a magnet.

If only it was that simple. Life would be much easier.

:D

northjmp
01-31-2008, 10:20 PM
friend has boston pros 6.5, dont know what amp but they sound good. can be had around 250 on ebay

req
01-31-2008, 10:56 PM
here is the skinny.

music is only frequencies of sound. all music usually incorporates from 100hz to about 15khz without question, weather it be rap, rock, gospel, country, death metal or what have you.

rap usually has lower and more authoritive (read: main melody of song) notes, while rock - still using frequencies seen in rap songs, are less of a central part of the music. same with all other music.

so your logic of what speakers play what music better is strictly speaking, quite flawed. speakers reproduce frequencies in their given area. for example:

most common tweeters will play from somewhere between 3khz and up.
most common midrange speakers (size not considered) will play from 100hz to 6khz
most common subwoofers can play from "20hz" to 200hz.

these are rounded off and not so specific numbers. there are far more ranges that speakers are built to play specifically such speakers include midbass speakers, which should be crossed over (read: forced to play within tolerances) between 50hz and 500hz. again, these numbers are rounded, my midbass speakers play from 80hz to 1.2khz. its all a matter of what the speaker is capable of.

so this whole business about you telling us what speakers you have and what music you like is rubbish. its not helpful, nor does it matter. its like asking me what signal cable you should choose because you listen to jazz music. its still just AC voltage going through a wire, the wire does not care what the audio it translates to means.

so. READ IMPRESSIONS BY RESPECTED MEMBERS ABOUT SPEAKERS IN YOUR BUDGET RANGE. it does not matter what kind of music you like - if they give you reviews containing objective listening impressions based on the kind of music you like - great. if not, then do more research and see what you can find.

and just remember - car audio is 10% equipment, 85% installation, and 5%beer.

speaker placement and enclosure type will be 85% more important than the speaker that goes in the hole.

Domino
02-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks for being demeaning.