PDA

View Full Version : 2 or 3-Ways: CDT, DLS, Rainbow, or Focal

ducrider
01-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Doing an install on a 97 Rover. Front doors have stock locations for a tweet, 3 inch Mid and 6.5 inch woofer. I am looking at these four brands mainly out of reputation and forum threads I've researched.

-DLS Ultimate Iridium
-CDT EuroSport
-Focal K2P
-Rainbow Profi Kick

1) Can anyone guide me as to the different characteristics I am sure to find among these? and

2) I am contemplating using the 2 or 3-way versions of one of these sets. Just about all these sets use 4 -inch mids though so I am curious if the advantages of a 3-way warrants the extra work I will need to customize the stock 3-inch opening. Or if the difficulty in tuning a 3-way is good enough reason to stick to 2-way anyway.

I have 2 10's in as rear subs and will prob use a pair of 6.5 inch midbass drivers (matching whatever I choose up front) in the rear doors.

Thoughts?

Platinumxpimp
01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I would add Hertz and Dynaudio to that list as well

bigbirney420
01-29-2008, 08:42 PM
DLS first and then CDT from that group. i would also look at the Hertz. My DLS are a step or two down from Iridiums and sound amazing

bass_lover1
01-29-2008, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't even bother with the CDT set unless you can get them at a VERY good price. Their OEM alternatives (Vifa mainly) can be had for much much less.

MemphisLove.
01-30-2008, 01:16 PM
hybrid audio 3 ways.... ive been doing research at diy audio and their two ways look promising.

937DYTBOI
01-30-2008, 08:45 PM
hybrid audio 3 ways.... ive been doing research at diy audio and their two ways look promising.

i know they are new but i was wondering about there stuff, i was doing some researching myself and saw that they were winning SQ competitions

bass_lover1
01-31-2008, 01:42 AM
i know they are new but i was wondering about there stuff, i was doing some researching myself and saw that they were winning SQ competitions

I don't have experience with the drivers in question, but your install is going to have a much greater effect on your sound then speaker choice.

ducrider
01-31-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks all, I chose the DLS set after some auditions today.

Any amp recommendations?

I have a JL Audio 300/4, Arc Audio KAR 300.4 or 300.2 that I can use. Any preferences on these?

bigbirney420
01-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Mine are getting about 175 watts, which is perfect, any of those would work well

alteraudiousa
02-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Hybrid is quite nice, using their L3 right now in a 3way setup. If you go CDT upgrade the 6.75in driver to the ES-06 or even the M6 driver to get improved midbass to really make the 3way come alive. DLS would actually be my first choice out of the list but pretty pricey. Never been a huge fan of Focal or Rainbow and they performed well enough. but original poster, check your PM.

SQChevy
02-01-2008, 11:33 AM
My vote goes for the K2P's. They have great bass response and I believe their tweeters are some of the recent utopia's (just below the TLR's) which sound really nice.

SethPhillips
02-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Focal!!!!!!!!!!! Allll Day!!!

FoxPro5
02-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Unless you go to a brick and mortar car audio shop locally, I doubt you will get better online service and support than with Hybrid Audio. If Scott happens to help you out, you are in for a treat. He aims to impress and stands 100% behind his product IME.

Advantage of the Dynaudio set (at least from a new install perspective) is the dome midrange that comes with the 3-way set. No enclosure and minimal aiming needed, just mount it on a sold baffle and hit play.

I love me some Rainbow speakers, but in all my experiences with them...they are somewhat overrated. At least with the online crowd, anyway.

Bottom of my list, as always, is CDT. How do these guys even stay in business?? :crap:

lostdaytomorrow
02-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I've personally heard a K2P 3-way passive setup and it actually sounded horrible. It was most likely the install, but it sounded horrible.