PDA

View Full Version : Clarion DXZ785USB

blacksatsc2
01-28-2008, 11:27 PM
What do you guys think about this deck? Does anyone own it? It looks to me like a pretty good deal. Retails for 400 and is going for 290 right on onlinecarstereo.com

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18795

Jebus
01-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey i just purchased a Clarion DXZ576USB - the one down from your model.
Its a good unit although when i switch to usb input i hear a annoying clicking sound... (i'm running my speakers str8 off the headunit).
So i would advise testing out the head unit with a usb flash drive first. :)

Babs
01-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Sure didn't take 'em long to blow out the 775's to replace with the 785.. They are GONE!

blacksatsc2
01-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Bump

Babs
01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I searched a lot about it's predecessor DXZ775USB...

Finally!!! some folks did some reviews... also check diy mobile audio for reviews.
Not a bad unit... Cheapest way to go for active-capable two-way component setup with sub. It's close but just a wee bit off from it's closest competitors such as the 880 pioneer or 9887 alpine or maybe the older cd7000 or current 7100 eclipse... So it's properly priced slightly less.

Depending on the rest of your components and install... If budget is big issue, this is the unit I'd pick. Or I'd go with either the 880 or 9887 if you can spend a wee bit more for a wee bit more sound quality.

Not to say it's bad though.. Reports I remember were very positive... I'd say for a couple hun, it's definitely not a bad risk. 3-way XO, USB, 24bit... A lot of head unit for some poker money.

:D

blacksatsc2
01-29-2008, 09:18 PM
I searched a lot about it's predecessor DXZ775USB...

Finally!!! some folks did some reviews... also check diy mobile audio for reviews.
Not a bad unit... Cheapest way to go for active-capable two-way component setup with sub. It's close but just a wee bit off from it's closest competitors such as the 880 pioneer or 9887 alpine or maybe the older cd7000 or current 7100 eclipse... So it's properly priced slightly less.

Depending on the rest of your components and install... If budget is big issue, this is the unit I'd pick. Or I'd go with either the 880 or 9887 if you can spend a wee bit more for a wee bit more sound quality.

Not to say it's bad though.. Reports I remember were very positive... I'd say for a couple hun, it's definitely not a bad risk. 3-way XO, USB, 24bit... A lot of head unit for some poker money.

:D

Well thank you, that was a very informative post, and i appreciate it. From what i can see for the money it seems to be one of the best out there. Would you personally think it would be a good idea tho to spend a little more and get the 9887? Its going for like $330 on onlinecarstereo.com

Right now I have Boston SL60 components in the front, boston sx65 coaxs in the rear, wit hthe gains turned down real low. Jl A4300 4 channel amp, Substage is JL 12W3v3 in a prefab JL sealed enclosure, and the 250/1vs powering it.

blacksatsc2
01-30-2008, 02:25 AM
bump

Babs
01-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Well thank you, that was a very informative post, and i appreciate it. From what i can see for the money it seems to be one of the best out there. Would you personally think it would be a good idea tho to spend a little more and get the 9887? Its going for like $330 on onlinecarstereo.com

Right now I have Boston SL60 components in the front, boston sx65 coaxs in the rear, wit hthe gains turned down real low. Jl A4300 4 channel amp, Substage is JL 12W3v3 in a prefab JL sealed enclosure, and the 250/1vs powering it.

You're welcome. :D

If you want as good a sound quality setup as you can get on a budget, I'd go for the 9887 for a couple reasons... 1. The burr-browns... The processing and preamp section I'm guessing is just that extra tiny bit cleaner, though I'll bet the Clarion is no slouch. 2. Imprint.... You can later use the Imprint toolkit to run MultEQ to dial in the time alignment and eq to a very exact level and from what reviews I've read, it's pretty good..

Good enough that I've been on the fence possibly for the OEM integration version PXE-H650 except that method is only as good as the signal from an OEM head unit, of which I'm skeptical. And I'm waiting on the MS-8 to see how it's reviews are.. It's supposed to be all that and a bucket of chicken for a 1box OEM solution for those that don't want to or can't remove the OEM.. but that's a different topic altogether.

But the 9887 would be in my top 5 current top picks.. The 775 or 785 would be #6, bumped recently by the announcement of Eclipse's new dead-head. My picks in order of "perceived" SQ.. DRZ9255 > CD7200 > CDA-9887 <-> DEH-P800PRS <-> CD7100 > DXZ785USB

It'd be subjective between owners of the 880, 9887 and 7100.. and there's a lot of comparisons done there in subjective review.

... Nice gear.. With the rest of your setup, it's good enough I'd say to justify the SQ of any of these.. I think also it depends if a USB input or solid iPod connection is of value to you.. USB actually is very much to me just for the ability to stash all those CD's and have more tunes on hand at any given time.. IF it reads lossless format and the SQ is still there.. I'm still learning in that area.

But the USB is nice thing about the 785.. it seems to be the one area they tweaked/improved in the 785 over the 775 (that I remember).. If the 9887 had direct USB input. But if USB isn't super important.. it becomes a toss-up on other factors if you want to spend the extra dough.

blacksatsc2
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
You're welcome. :D

If you want as good a sound quality setup as you can get on a budget, I'd go for the 9887 for a couple reasons... 1. The burr-browns... The processing and preamp section I'm guessing is just that extra tiny bit cleaner, though I'll bet the Clarion is no slouch. 2. Imprint.... You can later use the Imprint toolkit to run MultEQ to dial in the time alignment and eq to a very exact level and from what reviews I've read, it's pretty good..

Good enough that I've been on the fence possibly for the OEM integration version PXE-H650 except that method is only as good as the signal from an OEM head unit, of which I'm skeptical. And I'm waiting on the MS-8 to see how it's reviews are.. It's supposed to be all that and a bucket of chicken for a 1box OEM solution for those that don't want to or can't remove the OEM.. but that's a different topic altogether.

But the 9887 would be in my top 5 current top picks.. The 775 or 785 would be #6, bumped recently by the announcement of Eclipse's new dead-head. My picks in order of "perceived" SQ.. DRZ9255 > CD7200 > CDA-9887 <-> DEH-P800PRS <-> CD7100 > DXZ785USB

It'd be subjective between owners of the 880, 9887 and 7100.. and there's a lot of comparisons done there in subjective review.

... Nice gear.. With the rest of your setup, it's good enough I'd say to justify the SQ of any of these.. I think also it depends if a USB input or solid iPod connection is of value to you.. USB actually is very much to me just for the ability to stash all those CD's and have more tunes on hand at any given time.. IF it reads lossless format and the SQ is still there.. I'm still learning in that area.

But the USB is nice thing about the 785.. it seems to be the one area they tweaked/improved in the 785 over the 775 (that I remember).. If the 9887 had direct USB input. But if USB isn't super important.. it becomes a toss-up on other factors if you want to spend the extra dough.

Well i noticed you mentioned time alignment for the 9887, and the clarion deck has time alignment too. So if you could specifically gives me the specs on the 9887 that are better than the DXZ785USB that would be great.

Babs
01-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Oh yeah actually ALL these head units have time-alignment capability.... As well as better-than-usual EQ, and they're also all capable of crossing over high enough for tweets and mids, not just mids and sub... so you could go active for a component frontstage if you liked.

What I meant about the 9887 is that it uses technology by Audyssey Labs (MultEQ) similar to some decent home theater receivers like Denon and Marantz for auto-room-calibrate for alignment and freq response correction. Infact, they're incorporating this in quite a few of their 2008 head units but don't know how good it will be compared to how it's implemented in the 9887.

http://www.audyssey.com/
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9887

Check crutchfield also at times for different models... good source I think in a lot of cases.. if they have a Hands On Research page for the model.

The burr-brown DAC's in the 9887 I'd say are a clue to a bit better quality in processing and preamp stage, but that's just a guess.. The Clarions just list that it's a 24-bit DAC setup. Other than that it's probably just differences in EQ and crossover capabilities (not counting that running imprint will be THE superior for that)... But the DXZ again has that nice USB input.

blacksatsc2
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh yeah actually ALL these head units have time-alignment capability.... As well as better-than-usual EQ, and they're also all capable of crossing over high enough for tweets and mids, not just mids and sub... so you could go active for a component frontstage if you liked.

What I meant about the 9887 is that it uses technology by Audyssey Labs (MultEQ) similar to some decent home theater receivers like Denon and Marantz for auto-room-calibrate for alignment and freq response correction. Infact, they're incorporating this in quite a few of their 2008 head units but don't know how good it will be compared to how it's implemented in the 9887.

http://www.audyssey.com/
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9887

Check crutchfield also at times for different models... good source I think in a lot of cases.. if they have a Hands On Research page for the model.

The burr-brown DAC's in the 9887 I'd say are a clue to a bit better quality in processing and preamp stage, but that's just a guess.. The Clarions just list that it's a 24-bit DAC setup. Other than that it's probably just differences in EQ and crossover capabilities (not counting that running imprint will be THE superior for that)... But the DXZ again has that nice USB input.

Yea the USB for me isnt really that big of a deal. Do you know of anything new for 08 from Alpine that will be coming out that is similiar to the 9887? Or is the the 9887 going to be basically the best deck that alpine has out? I know that a while my back my local car audio shop that I go to for a lot of my products said they would sell me the 9887 and allow me to use their imprint and they would do it for $400 installed. Does that seem like a good price to you? I know i can get the 9887 for about $330 online, but i havent looked into what the imprint costs in a while so i dont know. When the 9887 first came out I was going to get it but then i came into some financial and time problems so I wasn't able to get it.

And also a couple posts up I notced you said something about Eclipse new dead head unit. Is that the 7200? I have been looking and i havent seen any news on on their website or anything else. Whats that supposed to run? My guess would be around $700 or so like the 7100 was.

Babs
01-30-2008, 04:11 PM
The other units like the 9886 and '08 IDA units that are compatible with the PXA-H100 Imprint processor will have similar tuning capability I think... but there' very limited info yet that I've seen how the H100 works... last I saw, it's a standalone imprint processor with it's own pre-outs fed and controlled via AiNet from the head unit.... Don't know if it will have the SQ of the 9887 though.. Hard to say.. might be.. but it's proprietary to specific alpine 08 head units.

The other route is the H701 processor which gets into the cash because you couple that with an alpine dvd like the 205 to get the best from it.. fiber-optic inputs and ainet control.. But it's competition level tuning capable with more preout channels to run three-way and sub.. and I think 5.1 capable.. It's a beast.

$400 installed plus use of their Imprint kit... not bad.. the Imprint kit is cheapest on ebay $150ish or rental from Crutchfield for $50.. but I personally would want to have my own or access to one... Considering it's a local shop for some support.. That's worth consideration big time I think if you are one of the lucky ones with a trustworthy shop... Shoot... For 4 bills and you don't have to pull your dash yourself and it's an authorized shop with authorized warranty... Not shabby at all man.

Yep.. the CD7200 is a new copper-chassis preamp-only very much like the 7100 but I'll bet a far beefier processor and preamp stage.. I agree, it won't be cheap if it's going to go head-to-head with the likes of the DRZ... Looks killer though.

The one that's got me fired up is the new 800.... copper chassis and usb added to an 880.. and the face went to black like I believe the JDM versions are.. sharp looking and great sounding if it's as good or better than an 880.. plus it has it's own auto-tuning.. don't know how good it is though but looks equally promising for less money than the 7200 for sure.

blacksatsc2
01-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Man you have no idea how much I appreciate all of this information your passing my way. I feel like i know a descent amount about the car audio scene, but it's nice when people with much more knowledge than me all willing to share, so again thanks a lot.

blacksatsc2
01-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Hey man sorry but another question. I'm looking now at the Pioneer DEH-P880PRS, or the DEH-P800PRS. What is the difference besides the obvious silver vs black?

Babs
01-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Read above last paragraph... 800 gains copper chassis and USB input.. Other than that though I don't know.. hopefully a few other improvements.. The 880 has had in interesting history as a great budget SQ unit with a few tempermental issues.. never "hot-swap" the rca's with any power to the head unit or amps etc (disconnect battery) or risk damage to the head unit.. It's kind of delicate... but sounds great supposedly. I'm hoping the 800 has improved this one little issue. :)

No prob with the info... I've had plenty of time being too broke to commit to getting my new car project off the ground.. so I've picked up a lot of stuff here and also at diy mobile audio.. trust me.. I know very little compared to a lot of guys both consumers and pro's in here and also there.

blacksatsc2
02-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Hey just so you know I bought the 880PRS getting installed tomorrow.

Babs
02-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Excellent... That looks like a superb head unit..
They added the things I really wished the 880 had.
We'll expect a full review with pics. :) hehe

Gioss
02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
why can't I find the 880PRS on the Pioneer site? do you mean a 980BT?

Babs
02-05-2008, 11:15 AM
No the DEH-P800PRS is the replacement to the DEH-P880PRS... The pioneer site at this time has it listed but the specs I don't think are fully updated to the new model.
The 980 is the bluetooth model that is NOT active capable and I think I've read is NOT the same level of general SQ output (but maybe close). Google the 800 model above for some CES show write-ups on that unit.. basically an 880 with copper chassis, new black face (yay!) and added USB input (also yay!) :D

blacksatsc2
02-06-2008, 12:59 AM
No the DEH-P800PRS is the replacement to the DEH-P880PRS... The pioneer site at this time has it listed but the specs I don't think are fully updated to the new model.
The 980 is the bluetooth model that is NOT active capable and I think I've read is NOT the same level of general SQ output (but maybe close). Google the 800 model above for some CES show write-ups on that unit.. basically an 880 with copper chassis, new black face (yay!) and added USB input (also yay!) :D

I actually got the 880. My bad i originally put down 800. So far so good I like it. Havent really had the time yet though to tune it to my liking. I tried ti quickly do the time alignment today, but i couldnt figure out how to do it so we'll see.