PDA

View Full Version : Alpine IVA-W205

HCCA
01-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Is there something that you can use with this head unit to get a 4V output? By that, I mean, an outboard processing unit?
Also, what about the new W505? Anyone have any experience with it yet? Or, has it not been out that long yet?

iowaaurora
01-28-2008, 08:05 PM
The Top 50% of income earners pay 96.54% of All Income Taxes. The Top 1% Pay More Than a Third:34.27%...so, the next time you hear about "tax cuts for the rich", remember...those are practically the only people paying taxes.

?

BULL ****

bumpin buick
01-28-2008, 08:05 PM
line driver

HCCA
01-29-2008, 12:08 AM
BULL ****

Sorry, IRS backed data. Want the PDF file from the IRS itself, dumb***?
BTW, thanks for staying on topic!
http://http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/04in06tr.xls

HCCA
01-29-2008, 12:27 AM
line driver
Sorry, I want to have 4V without the distortion. A line driver will amplify the distortion from this source unit, without addressing the clipping problem inherent in a non-PWM power supply. An AI-net unit (if available) will redirect the digital source path to an outboard unit to digitally process the data, and send it downstream AFTER the signal is amplified through a PWM power supply. The signal at that point will have little if any distortion from the source unit. Currently, most source units, without PWM P.S., will exhibit 10%-20% distortion at max volume settings.

bumpin buick
01-29-2008, 12:30 AM
why did you ask then if you knew the answer to your own question ?

HCCA
01-29-2008, 12:37 AM
why did you ask then if you knew the answer to your own question ?

I don't want to use a line driver. That much I know. My question was specific to whether or not Alpine made a unit that would attach via the AI-net system that would take the digiatal stream info, and process it to analog, AND send a 4V signal out from there. There was such a unit at one time that WOULD do this. Is there a downstream device that would still do this? And, will it interface with the IVA-W205/W505. That's what I wanted to know. Sorry if there was any confusion.

jluv
01-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Why not get an H701? It's all that and a bag of chips.

alxmlr789
01-29-2008, 02:35 PM

x2 on the H701. Thats exactly what i use for my 2v HU. Although, 350 bucks seems a little steep just to step up to 4v. lol.

HCCA
01-30-2008, 02:31 AM

That would be the baby!! Thanks, jluv!!! That was what I was looking for. They are still produced, right??

LaserRed38
01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5300

Could probably find one used though. Check the classifieds. I think I saw one the other day...It does a LITTLE more than what you're using it for though lol.

frzninvt
01-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Why don't you adjust your amplifier's gain section properly to coincide with the voltage that the head unit is putting out. That is why they are put on there you know.

Amplifier power remains the same regardless of the gain's position so having additional voltage really is not necessary it only helps to lower the noise floor. Do you have a noise problem at all?

HCCA
01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Why don't you adjust your amplifier's gain section properly to coincide with the voltage that the head unit is putting out. That is why they are put on there you know.

Amplifier power remains the same regardless of the gain's position so having additional voltage really is not necessary it only helps to lower the noise floor. Do you have a noise problem at all?
The problem is NOT the output voltage. The problem is the distortion that ALL head units without switching power supplies have. Just in case you weren't aware, it's like having the gains on your amps up a 1/4 turn past where distortion sets in. However, there is NO adjustment on HU's to eliminate this problem.
Sure, I could just measure where the distortion begins, make a note of it, and not turn it up to that level.....And, I could just duct tape my speaker wires to the surface of the carpet too! LOL... No, I would like the peace of mind to know that distortion CANNOT get into the system from the head unit. Level matching to the amps CANNOT stop the inherent distortion that is present in the last 10-20% of the volume control.
Now, the H701 HAS a switching power supply. You cannot get 4V preouts without a switching power supply...in a 12 V car electrical system.