PDA

View Full Version : boston pro60's or kicker rs 6 1/2 components

t-money
01-28-2008, 05:17 PM
right now i have the kickers and they lack midbass. I think i have them crossed around 100-120 hz and i get no midbass. When i cross them lower, they bottom out. So i am looking for a more sq based component set with good midbass. i want to be able to cross my comps at 60 hz. I have 150 a side to the kickers and the bostons will get 225 a side.I also would like to run the bostons as coax's for now((thats how i run the kickers).My doors are also deadened. Are the bostons a step up or should i wait till i do kicks and get rainbows or something else. How is the sq on the bostons. Sorry for long rant, just decided to change my front stage and trying to figure out which way to go. thanks in advance

edit: just read about the boston spz60's, how are they?

HCCA
01-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Just my $.02...Yeah, the Bostons are about three steps up from the Kickers. Rainbows are a great choice, too. 225W/side is great for the Boston Pros, or the SPZ's. If you are having problems with your midbass, deadened or not, I would try to look at sealing your doors even better. With every 3db increase in your output in the MB region (above 105db) you have to really get aggressive in deading, and sealing, the doors to maintain your MB output.

alxmlr789
01-29-2008, 01:00 AM
What's your price range looking at?

t-money
01-29-2008, 07:32 AM
What's your price range looking at?

don't want to spend more than $500.00. Looking for a decent sq component set. Just been reading a lot about the bostons and they seem to compete with some of the higher end sq components.I had focal polyglass before i got the kickers

UCF52
01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Have you thought about going active?

HowLowd
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
im pretty happy with my germs. ive had them actively set to 63 hz but on really bass heavy songs would have to decrese the volume....quickly. on alot of my jazz tracks it was fine, but seems rap isnt the way to go.

ive been really happy with them set at 80hz and aslope of 12

t-money
01-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Have you thought about going active?

no, is that the better way to go. I do have a Alpine 9835 that i can use to go active. Is going active better? I pretty much just buy components and use the crossovers they come with. Please explain a little bit as to why active is good or gicves better control I pretty much have my sub stage set, just want to improve my front stage

redcalimp5
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
T, have you had CMX's before? If not, you should seriously consider giving the CMX Kickbass set a shot, ESPECIALLY running them active with your 9835.

I've got an Alpine 7998 that I'm using to run my CMX Kick set active, and it just flat out kicks A$$. Loud and clear, and nice, tight midbass.

t22a80
01-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Pm Sent!

t-money
01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
T, have you had CMX's before? If not, you should seriously consider giving the CMX Kickbass set a shot, ESPECIALLY running them active with your 9835.

I've got an Alpine 7998 that I'm using to run my CMX Kick set active, and it just flat out kicks A$$. Loud and clear, and nice, tight midbass.

if your speaking of the ranbows, it says to cross them at 80hz or up. I need something that can give decent midbas from 60hz and up. I was also thinking about putting soem 8's up front, but after some reading i don't think i need to do that to get good mid bass. I am running two 15's sealed in my trunk and i'm not getting the impact from the higher bass frequencies.

t-money
01-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Pm Sent!

pm received and thanks

redcalimp5
01-29-2008, 01:34 PM
if your speaking of the ranbows, it says to cross them at 80hz or up. I need something that can give decent midbas from 60hz and up. I was also thinking about putting soem 8's up front, but after some reading i don't think i need to do that to get good mid bass. I am running two 15's sealed in my trunk and i'm not getting the impact from the higher bass frequencies.

LOL Yeah, I feel ya....

My kicks are paired up with a single 12 in a sealed box, and they sound great together. If I had 2 15's in the back, I'd consider going active and either picking up a set of 7" or 8" mids. If you're interested in running active, and are looking for some good help/recommendations on 7" and 8" mids, check out www.diymobileaudio.com if you haven't already. They're a good bunch of guys who really know their stuff, and a lot of them are using Dayton and Seas 7's and 8's to really get that pounding output that you're probably looking for to keep up with twin 15's.

redcalimp5
01-29-2008, 01:38 PM
If you just want to keep it fairly simple, stay passive, and get killer loud output from a comp set, I've read nothing but rave reviews from people who own the SPZ60 set. Also look into the JL Audio ZR's or the D9 2 ways if you're really wanting more midbass. The Pro60's are a nice and loud set, but the midbass won't be sufficicient enough for what you've got going on, I'm afraid.

duece212
01-29-2008, 01:43 PM
I was looking for some 6.5 mids I could cross low and not have to worry as much about bottoming them out. Decided on the CDT m6's, time will tell how they work out but from the looks they should be able to take good power crossed around 60hz:

http://www.cdtaudio.com/pdf/m6_spec1.pdf

I was lookin at the boston pro's before I made my purchase, hopefully these were the right purchase.

redcalimp5
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I was looking for some 6.5 mids I could cross low and not have to worry as much about bottoming them out. Decided on the CDT m6's, time will tell how they work out but from the looks they should be able to take good power crossed around 60hz:

I was lookin at the boston pro's before I made my purchase, hopefully these were the right purchase.

I've heard the M6's are perfect for crossing that low....I've also read a lot of people like the CDT ES-06's for the same reason.

t-money
01-29-2008, 03:29 PM

i will look into them, but i have a feeling i may go with a 3 way set up with 8's in the doors. I really would rather a 2 way set up with comps that go as low as 60hz. Trying to do this the easiest way, but when it comes to car audio, there is no easy way

duece212
01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
i will look into them, but i have a feeling i may go with a 3 way set up with 8's in the doors. I really would rather a 2 way set up with comps that go as low as 60hz. Trying to do this the easiest way, but when it comes to car audio, there is no easy way

If you go with a 3 way system do it right. I tried the 3 way approach in my mustang with dayton ref 8's for mid-bass, focals midranges and highs. It sounded like poop for a few reasons: 1. I didn't know what I was doing. 2.I didn't take the time to tweak it. 3. Who knows if those drivers shoulda even been used together.

If your willing to do it right I'm sure 3-way would rock. For me a known 2-way setup fits my ambitions/skill level alot better and will hopefully give me a better chance of comin out sounding great. For me simple is better.

You are 100% correct though, good and easy usually don't mix unfortunately.

t-money
01-29-2008, 06:00 PM
If you go with a 3 way system do it right. I tried the 3 way approach in my mustang with dayton ref 8's for mid-bass, focals midranges and highs. It sounded like poop for a few reasons: 1. I didn't know what I was doing. 2.I didn't take the time to tweak it. 3. Who knows if those drivers shoulda even been used together.

If your willing to do it right I'm sure 3-way would rock. For me a known 2-way setup fits my ambitions/skill level alot better and will hopefully give me a better chance of comin out sounding great. For me simple is better.

You are 100% correct though, good and easy usually don't mix unfortunately.

me too. i may look into the cdt m6's

redcalimp5
01-29-2008, 06:05 PM
me too. i may look into the cdt m6's

Man, you pick up a set of the M6's, and the pair of CAL27's that RoLLaxphile is selling, and you'd have a kicka$$ active 2-way setup.

t-money
01-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Man, you pick up a set of the M6's, and the pair of CAL27's that RoLLaxphile is selling, and you'd have a kicka$$ active 2-way setup.

so i can use the m6's to play midrange as well? Would it sound like crap mixing the m6 with my kicker tweets and using the crossover that came with the kicker comps?:confused:

ViolentAudio
01-29-2008, 09:14 PM
i have a set of BNIB BA Pro60s for sale for 275 shipped...