PDA

View Full Version : Rear speakers not as lound as fronts?

darkhunter139
01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Just installed some 6x9s into my accord and they are not as loud as my 15watt front stock speakers when I have the radio on. Is this normal for rear speakers to be softer then fronts or did I connect something wrong?

dman4486
01-24-2008, 09:56 PM
you probably got a higher power 6x9, and the hu can't power them as well

dman4486
01-24-2008, 09:57 PM
if replacing for stock, you need to get the lowest rms 6x9 u can find

darkhunter139
01-24-2008, 09:57 PM

Yeah they are 225watts and the fronts are only 15 watts

I am going to be getting 40 watt per channel amp soon so that should fix the problem right?

WhoSayWho?
01-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Where are you in the car when you are liestening to them? In the front -- there you have it.

There are good reasons not to have rear speakers. If they are loud enough to hear in the front -- they are too loud IMO. If they are not that loud, then what is the point of having them.

darkhunter139
01-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Where are you in the car when you are liestening to them? In the front -- there you have it.

There are good reasons not to have rear speakers. If they are loud enough to hear in the front -- they are too loud IMO. If they are not that loud, then what is the point of having them.

No I mean when I turn the fade on all way to the rears then all the way to the fronts I can tell the fronts are louder.

dman4486
01-24-2008, 10:00 PM
the amp will get them closer to being balanced

dragnix
01-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah they are 225watts and the fronts are only 15 watts

I am going to be getting 40 watt per channel amp soon so that should fix the problem right?

:laugh: come on now

darkhunter139
01-24-2008, 10:03 PM
:laugh: come on now

Well shouldnt that mean the rears are louder? Lol

I am going to be replacing the fronts soon too.

zeuolaxxx
01-24-2008, 10:48 PM

x2

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 12:03 AM
But if 15 watt speakers are being powered by a 20 watt RMS head unit and 225 Watt RMS speakers are being powered by the same head unit shouldnt they be louder since they are getting more wattage?

I guess once I get the amp hooked up it will even them out

dman4486
01-25-2008, 12:04 AM
But if 15 watt speakers are being powered by a 20 watt RMS head unit and 225 Watt RMS speakers are being powered by the same head unit shouldnt they be louder since they are getting more wattage?

I guess once I get the amp hooked up it will even them out

no:wow:...they require more..

Side Show
01-25-2008, 12:08 AM
front speakers in your car would be more efficiant than the new ones you have just put in, meaning they'll go louder on less power

dragnix
01-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Well shouldnt that mean the rears are louder? Lol

I am going to be replacing the fronts soon too.

no, all i'm saying is that the rating is bogus and you really shouldn't believe that it'll handle 225 watts. But besides, you shouldn't even have the rears, but that's just me.

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 12:13 AM
no:wow:...they require more..

Oh already lol sorry im a noob here.

So ill just get some fronts that handle around 40 watts RMS (leaning towards polk DBs) and wont really worry about the rears. They should go louder once I get an amp to power them.

Thedeadly1
01-25-2008, 12:22 AM
return rears. buy front stage amp. buy decent front stage components. deaden doors.

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 12:27 AM
return rears. buy front stage amp. buy decent front stage components. deaden doors.

I am going to keep the rears. I like hearing sound coming from the back of my car as well. But ill deaden the doors and get some front speakers (Why components? I kind of just want coaxial speakers)

dman4486
01-25-2008, 12:31 AM
I am going to keep the rears. I like hearing sound coming from the back of my car as well. But ill deaden the doors and get some front speakers (Why components? I kind of just want coaxial speakers)

comps sound better...coax's are just easier for the less experienced..

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 12:37 AM
comps sound better...coax's are just easier for the less experienced..

That would be me :)

dman4486
01-25-2008, 12:39 AM
That would be me :)

thought u would like that:D

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 12:41 AM
I did lol :)

I am just going with this stuff for now then I will get some components and re do my electrical when I am ready to upgrade. This sounds good to me for now though

dimond
01-25-2008, 07:54 PM
when you say the rears are 225W, is that RMS. I doubt that youre probably looking at Peak Power which is pointless. What kind of 6x9 are they anyways..
BTW speakers dont put out power, amplifers will.

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 07:56 PM
No its RMS

Here they are

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2340_Audiobahn+ACS2093P+6-+x+9-.html

dimond
01-25-2008, 08:24 PM
yea based on their specs its rated at 225W RMS. I dont want to knock on your gear but, Audiobahn tends to overate their products. I can almost guarantee that those speakers wont handle 225W of power and sound normal. Well if they sound good to you then thats all it matters. Good luck anyways.

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 08:43 PM
yea based on their specs its rated at 225W RMS. I dont want to knock on your gear but, Audiobahn tends to overate their products. I can almost guarantee that those speakers wont handle 225W of power and sound normal. Well if they sound good to you then thats all it matters. Good luck anyways.

I dont really care if they handle 225 watts RMS

Ill either be powering them with 100 watts RMS or 40 so its all cool

LaserRed38
01-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Oh already lol sorry im a noob here.

So ill just get some fronts that handle around 40 watts RMS (leaning towards polk DBs) and wont really worry about the rears. They should go louder once I get an amp to power them.

where have you been posting? the lounge? you have more posts than me....i know we all start somewhere and not too long ago i was about where you are, but you should be reading up on stuff here learning instead of "buying first and asking questions later"...my first system was sophomore year of high school (5 years ago) in my 95 Contour. i had a Blaupunkt piece of crap HU from Costco and the a Sony 2 10" PACKAGE deal with a "480w 2ch amp" that really put out 90x2...in a sealed box. bought it at CC and they screwed my dash up installing my HU. i'm proud of myself for NOT thinking that it was actually "loud" or sounded "good," though. then i got my 9835 and some alpine type-s 5x7 coax's and it got a little better, then i upgraded the amp to a MRD-M501. then i upgraded cars and got a complete Alpine Type-R system with 6.5 components in front and 5x7s in rear. 2 10" Type Rs. figured out that that system wasn't "all that" either and here i am today. sold the R's and i'm currently on the hunt for a new sub stage. i'm most likely going with something from ID and i am going to be going active with my comps. if you don't know what that means you need to read up more on here and stop wasting money on crappy equipment. i wish i had. i always knew my stuff wasn't the best and never claimed it to be, but i finally realized that waiting for the deals/buying stuff online instead of retail chain stores or high-end audio shops isn't always the best way to do it, and i can actually save a lot of money and find the performance i want at prices i can afford. i don't take the time out to hound every newb who comes on here and asks about their audiobahn 6x9s because by my post count and limited experience i'm still very much an amateur, but i have come along way and hopefully you will take my advice and one day be at the point i am now wanting to learn as much as i can before i buy another piece of audio equipment.

/rant

flakko
01-25-2008, 11:20 PM
also dont forget that your front speakers are closer to you than your rear speakers.

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 11:24 PM
I cant afford super nice equipment right now and I got the audio bans in a trade for a movie I had two of and a game I didn't play anymore. Just trying to setup the best budget system I can.

I cant make a super good system right now so id rather learn this way. The 6x9s sound pretty good to me so yeah....

I know they are not the best, I know I can get better eventually but I don't have 1-2,000 to spend on car audio right now even though I am really interested in it. Some people here have been really good helping me out.

And I have posted a lot in the classified section

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 11:25 PM
also dont forget that your front speakers are closer to you than your rear speakers.

I guess I should get components for the fronts? Could I get some decent ones for around 100 dollars?

And I dont really get how to install components, know of any sites that give you a tutorial or something or could you give me a brief run down?

dragnix
01-25-2008, 11:25 PM
where have you been posting? the lounge? you have more posts than me....i know we all start somewhere and not too long ago i was about where you are, but you should be reading up on stuff here learning instead of "buying first and asking questions later"...my first system was sophomore year of high school (5 years ago) in my 95 Contour. i had a Blaupunkt piece of crap HU from Costco and the a Sony 2 10" PACKAGE deal with a "480w 2ch amp" that really put out 90x2...in a sealed box. bought it at CC and they screwed my dash up installing my HU. i'm proud of myself for NOT thinking that it was actually "loud" or sounded "good," though. then i got my 9835 and some alpine type-s 5x7 coax's and it got a little better, then i upgraded the amp to a MRD-M501. then i upgraded cars and got a complete Alpine Type-R system with 6.5 components in front and 5x7s in rear. 2 10" Type Rs. figured out that that system wasn't "all that" either and here i am today. sold the R's and i'm currently on the hunt for a new sub stage. i'm most likely going with something from ID and i am going to be going active with my comps. if you don't know what that means you need to read up more on here and stop wasting money on crappy equipment. i wish i had. i always knew my stuff wasn't the best and never claimed it to be, but i finally realized that waiting for the deals/buying stuff online instead of retail chain stores or high-end audio shops isn't always the best way to do it, and i can actually save a lot of money and find the performance i want at prices i can afford. i don't take the time out to hound every newb who comes on here and asks about their audiobahn 6x9s because by my post count and limited experience i'm still very much an amateur, but i have come along way and hopefully you will take my advice and one day be at the point i am now wanting to learn as much as i can before i buy another piece of audio equipment.

/rant
if you would just break up what you type into different posts then you would have more posts than the OP :p:

XxSuperAdamxX
01-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Rear speakers are okay...I replaced mine, but if you want better sound. Replace your fronts with some components.

WhoSayWho?
01-25-2008, 11:27 PM
I cant afford super nice equipment right now and I got the audio bans in a trade for a movie I had two of and a game I didn't play anymore. Just trying to setup the best budget system I can.

I cant make a super good system right now so id rather learn this way. The 6x9s sound pretty good to me so yeah....

I know they are not the best, I know I can get better eventually but I don't have 1-2,000 to spend on car audio right now even though I am really interested in it. Some people here have been really good helping me out.

And I have posted a lot in the classified section

There are some decent budget options. Honestly, people understand not having a lot of extra cash. But since you don't have a lot of cash you should go even slower because you don't have the money to do it twice.

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Rear speakers are okay...I replaced mine, but if you want better sound. Replace your fronts with some components.

Yeah I plan on it. I just traded for these rear speakers thats why I got them first.

I am going to save up 100 or so dollars get some component speakers for the fronts and power them with a 40 watt x 4 channel (or 100 watts x 2) amp that I am going to be picking up Sunday for 50 dollars

flakko
01-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I guess I should get components for the fronts? Could I get some decent ones for around 100 dollars?

And I dont really get how to install components, know of any sites that give you a tutorial or something or could you give me a brief run down?

if you only want to spend 100 bucks, get a set of nice coaxials on the 100x2 amp, then if you MUST have rears, just run them off the HU or something.

the main difference between coaxial and components is the fact that you have the freedom to place the drivers anywhere you want. and considering you are just starting out, a nice set of coaxes is a good place to test the waters. if you feel that the imaging and stuff is below par for your tastes, go for the components.

dragnix

two sets come to mind, PG Rsd and Cadence CWM-6 kit, both around 100 shipped.

Installing components is not hard, mids in the door, tweets in the pillar for a novice :)

danz24
Just installed some 6x9s into my accord and they are not as loud as my 15watt front stock speakers when I have the radio on. Is this normal for rear speakers to be softer then fronts or did I connect something wrong?

Is it an aftermarket deck? On my pioneer I had the radio much quieter than the CD player but this can be adjusted using the SLA setting. If you referred to radio as your head unit then nvm.

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 11:33 PM
There are some decent budget options. Honestly, people understand not having a lot of extra cash. But since you don't have a lot of cash you should go even slower because you don't have the money to do it twice.

Well I plan on just putting together a really budget system for now and then when I get finish school in a few years ill go all out and peice together one thing at a time and put together really nice system.

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 11:38 PM
two sets come to mind, PG Rsd and Cadence CWM-6 kit, both around 100 shipped.

Installing components is not hard, mids in the door, tweets in the pillar for a novice :)

How do you get the tweets to hold in the pillar?

@ Flakko

I might just get some nice coaxial speakers for the front door. Im not sure yet, I saw some Polk DBs at circuit city and I really liked them.

On the other hand I want to get some experience installing/setting up components so im not sure.

If I got components could i just place the mids in the door where the old speakers were? They are all the way at the bottom of the door (towards the pedals) would this affect were I put the tweeters?

WhoSayWho?
01-25-2008, 11:40 PM
if you would just break up what you type into different posts then you would have more posts than the OP :p:

:laugh:

Yeah I plan on it. I just traded for these rear speakers thats why I got them first.

I am going to save up 100 or so dollars get some component speakers for the fronts and power them with a 40 watt x 4 channel (or 100 watts x 2) amp that I am going to be picking up Sunday for 50 dollars

People rave about the PG RSD's for under $100. I would certainly check them out if that was my budget. A few things you need to think about.

The head unit -- tell us what kind it is so that we can help you determine whether/how many amps you can run.

Amp kit -- that is an expense that you probably have not thought of. It is basically the wire and fuses that run from your battery to your amp. The size that you need depends on the size amps you expect to run (now and in the future).

What components will fit in your car? Not all 6.5's are created the same size. You want to watch your mounting depth.

Where will you mount your tweeters? Does your car have stock locations for seperate tweeters?

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 11:43 PM
:laugh:

People rave about the PG RSD's for under $100. I would certainly check them out if that was my budget. A few things you need to think about.

The head unit -- tell us what kind it is so that we can help you determine whether/how many amps you can run.

Amp kit -- that is an expense that you probably have not thought of. It is basically the wire and fuses that run from your battery to your amp. The size that you need depends on the size amps you expect to run (now and in the future).

What components will fit in your car? Not all 6.5's are created the same size. You want to watch your mounting depth.

Where will you mount your tweeters? Does your car have stock locations for seperate tweeters?

My head unit is the JVC HDR1 and it has 3 pre amp outputs so I am good there. I already have one amp hooked up to my sub so I got the power line ran into the engine and such. Only problem is like a ******* I ran 8 gauge wire so I am just going to get a 20" 4AWG (maybe 0/1 AWG) wire run that in place of the 8 gauge. Then I will get a distro block, cut up the 8 gauge and run that from the distro block to each of my amps.

WhoSayWho?
01-25-2008, 11:50 PM
My head unit is the JVC HDR1 and it has 3 pre amp outputs so I am good there. I already have one amp hooked up to my sub so I got the power line ran into the engine and such. Only problem is like a ******* I ran 8 gauge wire so I am just going to get a 20" 4AWG (maybe 0/1 AWG) wire run that in place of the 8 gauge. Then I will get a distro block, cut up the 8 gauge and run that from the distro block to each of my amps.

Okay, so you biggest question now seems to be where do you install the tweets. I am not going to be a lot of use to you since I am lucky enough to have a stock location. There are plenty of others that can help you out more.

Assuming that you don't have stock locations for your tweets, what year is your Accord? Is there another version of the Accord from that year that has stock locations? If so, where? I just know that in some instances you can take an easy way out and replace a window sail or something similar.

darkhunter139
01-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Okay, so you biggest question now seems to be where do you install the tweets. I am not going to be a lot of use to you since I am lucky enough to have a stock location. There are plenty of others that can help you out more.

Assuming that you don't have stock locations for your tweets, what year is your Accord? Is there another version of the Accord from that year that has stock locations? If so, where? I just know that in some instances you can take an easy way out and replace a window sail or something similar.

Its a 94 accord.

I will check the owners manual and shop manual to see if I can find out if there is a stock location for tweets. I doubt it though.

Ill post back when I find out (Ill also look to see if newer models have them and where they are)

WhoSayWho?
01-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Its a 94 accord.

I will check the owners manual and shop manual to see if I can find out if there is a stock location for tweets. I doubt it though.

Ill post back when I find out (Ill also look to see if newer models have them and where they are)

If by chance you are lucky enough that higher models in that same year came with stock components you may have an easy fix with no real modifications at all.

darkhunter139
01-26-2008, 12:00 AM
If by chance you are lucky enough that higher models in that same year came with stock components you may have an easy fix with no real modifications at all.

that would be sweet.

What size fuse should I use near the battery? If my both amps have 20 amp fuses should I use a 50 amp fuse on the power wire?

LaserRed38
01-26-2008, 12:39 AM
dragnix...that was pretty funny. but i'm not concerned with racking up my post count. i'd rather let people read my long *** paragraphs lol.

to the OP, i installed a HU and 6.5/6x9 coax's in my friend's Accord EX coupe. he had an EX i believe the factory tweeters were in the dash. not 100% sure on that though. they will be towards the front by the windshield in the corners. either way, i have some last year Alpine Type-R 6.5 components that i would sell for $75 + shipping. not sure if the mounting depth will work though, they are pretty deep. let me know.

Boominator
01-26-2008, 12:44 AM

Factory Hu's are built for thier factory speakers unless it is amplified they will sound very soft.

darkhunter139
01-26-2008, 12:46 AM
dragnix...that was pretty funny. but i'm not concerned with racking up my post count. i'd rather let people read my long *** paragraphs lol.

to the OP, i installed a HU and 6.5/6x9 coax's in my friend's Accord EX coupe. he had an EX i believe the factory tweeters were in the dash. not 100% sure on that though. they will be towards the front by the windshield in the corners. either way, i have some last year Alpine Type-R 6.5 components that i would sell for $75 + shipping. not sure if the mounting depth will work though, they are pretty deep. let me know.

I have an EX so hopefully they are there. I am going to go check tomorrow morning.

darkhunter139
01-26-2008, 01:52 AM
Sweet I got a spot for tweeters in my dash! I have to go with components now. Should be pretty easy to install.

darkhunter139
01-27-2008, 01:19 AM
What do you guys think of these components?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-db6501-6-5-2-Way-Component-System-with-External-Crossover-DB6501/sem/rpsm/oid/172446/catOid/-13092/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I might just save up a little longer and get those. Or is there any better for the price?

accordingtoome
01-27-2008, 04:40 AM
http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php?masterid=33724707&lot_id=7332920
a little better price

bad @SS chevy
01-27-2008, 04:44 AM
I dont even use my speakers in the rear.. my Components on my amp are def. loud enough.

darkhunter139
01-27-2008, 04:44 AM
http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php?masterid=33724707&lot_id=7332920
a little better price

Cool thanks

dragnix
01-27-2008, 04:58 AM
I thought you had a budget of 100 for comps? Never heard much about the Polk DB, always thought that's their lower line. Btw, aren't they owned by DEI now?

darkhunter139
01-27-2008, 05:00 AM
I thought you had a budget of 100 for comps? Never heard much about the Polk DB, always thought that's their lower line. Btw, aren't they owned by DEI now?

I really like polk so I figured id raise my budget and wait a bit to get them.

Polk is one of the top home audio brands so id assume they were good for car audio as well?

dragnix
01-27-2008, 05:04 AM
I really like polk so I figured id raise my budget and wait a bit to get them.

Polk is one of the top home audio brands so id assume they were good for car audio as well?

i know their higher end lines are good, not too sure about the lower lines, which i am assuming the DB to be. I'm sure they are good speakers, just not sure if they are a good value or not though

darkhunter139
01-27-2008, 05:27 PM
i know their higher end lines are good, not too sure about the lower lines, which i am assuming the DB to be. I'm sure they are good speakers, just not sure if they are a good value or not though

Hmm so what would you suggest in the 200 dollar range though? (200 max budget would rather something around 150)

I have an alpine amp that I will be using to power them (100 RMS per channel)

crea78
01-27-2008, 07:25 PM
darkhunter, do you know how big of a mid you can place in your door? I think it's 5 1/4" for the Accord but I'm not too sure. My '98 Civic fits the 5 1/4" easily but had to do some modding for the 6 1/2s.

Anyways, I think you can get Rainbow SAC 230.25 or SLC 230.25NB components for around $200. Here is the link for them: http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/details.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=7&art=231414. In order to get Rainbows, PM 3.5max6spd or 6spdcoupe to find how much they are. Both I suggested are for 5 1/4" mids but they also come in 6 1/2s as well.

These will be MUCH BETTER than the Polk dBs you were considering and 100x2 should make them sound great. 6spdcoupe posted pictures of them in the thread here: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277093. Looks like the 6 1/2s are $255, so the 5 1/4s should be around $20 less, which isn't too much over your budget and you shouldn't have to upgrade to new components after that.

darkhunter139
01-27-2008, 10:49 PM
darkhunter, do you know how big of a mid you can place in your door? I think it's 5 1/4" for the Accord but I'm not too sure. My '98 Civic fits the 5 1/4" easily but had to do some modding for the 6 1/2s.

Anyways, I think you can get Rainbow SAC 230.25 or SLC 230.25NB components for around $200. Here is the link for them: http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/details.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=7&art=231414. In order to get Rainbows, PM 3.5max6spd or 6spdcoupe to find how much they are. Both I suggested are for 5 1/4" mids but they also come in 6 1/2s as well.

These will be MUCH BETTER than the Polk dBs you were considering and 100x2 should make them sound great. 6spdcoupe posted pictures of them in the thread here: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277093. Looks like the 6 1/2s are $255, so the 5 1/4s should be around $20 less, which isn't too much over your budget and you shouldn't have to upgrade to new components after that.

My accord does hold 6.5s so I should be able to fit them with no modding

Thanks ill check those out

darkhunter139
01-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Ok I guess im going to save for the rainbows cause I think I just blew out my 15 watt stock speakers

crea78
01-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Ok I guess im going to save for the rainbows cause I think I just blew out my 15 watt stock speakers

Good choice!! Once you get them installed, you won't regret how much you paid for em :D

darkhunter139
01-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Good choice!! Once you get them installed, you won't regret how much you paid for em :D

Whats the differnce between these three? Which set should I go with?

SAC 265.25
SLC 265 Kick
SLC 265.25 NG

crea78
01-28-2008, 07:43 PM
darkhunter, you will need to PM the Rainbow dealers I listed before about the different specs of each. I know the Kick version will give you more midbass over the other two (usually more $$), and you MUST cross them at 80 Hz (12 dB/Oct.) high pass! Also, it looks like the Kick version is the older design as well, and DOESN"T use the newer, more advanced xover.

darkhunter139
01-28-2008, 07:44 PM
darkhunter, you will need to PM the Rainbow dealers I listed before about the different specs of each. I know the Kick version will give you more midbass over the other two (usually more $$), and you MUST cross them at 80 Hz (12 dB/Oct.) high pass! Also, it looks like the Kick version is the older design as well, and DOESN"T use the newer, more advanced xover.

That is only for the kick version right?

I think ill go with one of the other two.

crea78
01-28-2008, 07:55 PM
That is only for the kick version right?

I think ill go with one of the other two.

Yes, that is just for the Kick version. The new Sound Lines (not Kick) uses the infamous Cal25 Silk tweet which is also used in the more expensive Germanium set which sounds amazing. Also, the new xover is bi-ampable and has tweeter & mid attentuation (choice between 2.2Khz and 2.6Khz) which is also found on the Germanium xover.

darkhunter139
01-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Great I completely destroyed the 15 watt front speakers now my whole system sounds like crap and its going to be a month or two before I can save up for the rainbow speakers.....now what? Whats the cheapest replacements I could get temporarily?