PDA

View Full Version : Custom Jetta plans

goldfingers05
01-24-2008, 02:02 PM
I have a 2000 jetta with the monsoon sound system which sounds pretty good as is. I have an old but never been used RF punch 360.2 amp that i'm going to put 2 RF punch stage 2 or 3 12" subs into.

My plan is this:

I would like to cut holes behind the back seat headrests (the shelf behind the back seats) for the subs so they will be in the cab of the car and basically use the trunk as an enclosure.

My questions:
I'm pretty sure its better to have the subs facing the back somewhat, is this true. I would only make it like 5-10 degrees from horizontal.

How will the subs sound be effected by having them a) in the cab of the car and b) in a "sealed" really big enclosure. I am looking for maybe a comparison of the difference between this set up and a regular 2 sub enclosure.

I am looking for a clean and balanced sound, i'm not really looking for huge bass earthquaking rumble. Sound quality is of the most importance, i'm not worried about the SPL's.

Thanks for the help and feedback. I'll post pictures asap to give everyone a better idea of my plans.

mavster
01-24-2008, 02:06 PM
well pretty much the trunk isn't technically sealed...

you would be putting your subs in an infinite baffle type setup...

Cutting the rear deck, can remove some structure strength..

85Caprice4d
01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
if you want sound quality - why go with 3 12's? Why not one 12? or 2 10's?

Also keep in mind - to get a sealed enclosure out of your trunk there is going to be vents and such you are going to want to seal. I would suggest if you want the subs on the rear deck, build a box - trace the shape of the rear deck onto mdf and have it be the top - but don't have your whole trunk the box. like have the box continue into the trunk.

just my 2 cents

85Caprice4d
01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
well pretty much the trunk isn't technically sealed...

you would be putting your subs in an infinite baffle type setup...

Cutting the rear deck, can remove some structure strength..
beat me to it :crap:

IDSkoT
01-25-2008, 11:51 PM
if you want sound quality - why go with 3 12's? Why not one 12? or 2 10's?

Also keep in mind - to get a sealed enclosure out of your trunk there is going to be vents and such you are going to want to seal. I would suggest if you want the subs on the rear deck, build a box - trace the shape of the rear deck onto mdf and have it be the top - but don't have your whole trunk the box. like have the box continue into the trunk.

just my 2 cents

x2

IB subs sound bad, and perform worse. If you truly want stealth, or something of the sort, do what caprice said.
But that's going to be somewhat complicated. You could just make a normal box with the subs firing up. But, definitely don't cut your rear deck. That would be dumb.

Tonyguy
01-25-2008, 11:53 PM
x2

IB subs sound bad, and perform worse. If you truly want stealth, or something of the sort, do what caprice said.
But that's going to be somewhat complicated. You could just make a normal box with the subs firing up. But, definitely don't cut your rear deck. That would be dumb.

This is one of the most ignorant statements i've ever seen. You're an idiot.

Hecta G
01-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Well Bro, you and I are in the same perdicament. I have a 99 and trying to do something. I have decided on 1 10" sub ported and probably be cutting out a small center section of the the rear deck to allow the magnet drop through using the the deck as support and a baffle but sealing the cavity from the trunk side still allowing trunk access and a usable trunk.

IDSkoT
01-26-2008, 02:00 AM
This is one of the most ignorant statements i've ever seen. You're an idiot.

So are you saying that IB perform better than Sealed or ported enclosures?

StupidLoud727
01-26-2008, 02:19 AM
So are you saying that IB perform better than Sealed or ported enclosures?

? Well I think that has a very large dependence on your definition of performance. I have seen a few done very well, and IMO they don't sound as good as a sealed enclosure in a dynomatted trunk, but come close. They are about equal in SPL from the front seats, maybe a little better, once again depending on the setup. They have better response than a ported box obviously since they are a lot like a sealed box, but just like sealed they are not equal to ported in SPL. But as with any installation, there are too many factors to consider in the setup to make a universal statement. That's just my opinion anyway...

HondAudio
01-26-2008, 04:18 AM
Get a good 12" sub, build a nice simple sealed box, hang it from the rear deck to save space... I dunno man, be creative. That's what this is all about man.

Hintzyboy
01-26-2008, 04:38 AM
The entire purpose of an infinite baffle install is SQ. If you heard one that sounded bad, then on of three things happened.

1) The install was done incorrectly (baffle was not sealed right, holes weren't filled, etc.)

2) The trunk of the vehicle was not large enough. IIRC, your trunk needs to be at least 10 times the Vas value of your subwoofer.

3) The subwofer used was not suited towards infinite baffle duty.

IB installs can sound VERY nice. There are a few guys on here who have used them with great results. James Bang, I think req, a couple others.