PDA

View Full Version : sealed box shape matter?

d audio 450
04-15-2003, 03:12 PM
does it matter at all what kind of shape a sealed box is? like if it's real wide and thin, will it make a dif. as long as its the same volume? my guess is no, but i just want to be sure...
thanks
-pat

i3abyjay25
04-15-2003, 03:23 PM
no it doesnt really matter...

Brock
04-15-2003, 03:30 PM
My box is kinda odd shaped cause I built it to match the countours of my car...it sounds fine...

evo2k3
04-15-2003, 09:14 PM
yeah -- for the most part it wont matter because air (a gas) expandes and finds its way whereever there is a pathway......the only problem i could see would be it there was a small (less than 4 or so inches) where the air might make noise as it travels through a small air very quickly....but that would be very rare instance.

paikiah
04-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by evo2k3
yeah -- for the most part it wont matter because air (a gas) expandes and finds its way whereever there is a pathway......the only problem i could see would be it there was a small (less than 4 or so inches) where the air might make noise as it travels through a small air very quickly....but that would be very rare instance.

turbulence in the chamber itself? 4 "? that's ports, I would imagine. I think I've seen much more narrow passages than 3" with custom boxes under bench seats...

I've got a square 4" tunnel like thing between two chambers...

fantomas
04-15-2003, 11:57 PM
my advice would be to stay away from perfect squares...dont ask why....because i really have nothing to back it up. maybe something to do with back wave cancellation....if that would even be a problem...im a little tired :(

awalbert88
04-16-2003, 12:38 AM
The shape of the box won't matter unless it's extremely large - big enough to allow wave cancellation. Unless I'm quite mistaken, this shouldn't happen unless you're talking about a box that's like ten feet long.

Diabolic
04-16-2003, 12:27 PM
The shape of a box matters slightly in sound reproduction. Plain square boxes don't reproduce sound as well as longer, rectangular boxes.

There are a number of technical papers on this that can be found on the web, if you dig around.

fantomas
04-16-2003, 01:14 PM
i know that in a perfectly square room...with plain white walls, even with a $1,000,000 sound system, the music is going to sound like complete and utter garbage. even though this doesn't have anything to do with building a sealed box...if you ever go to a recording studio, the studio has no parrallel walls (not even the ceiling) and different textures on the wall, floor, and ceiling. this is to prevent sounds from cancelling eachother out. also, when you walk to the back of the room (i guess where the tuba and bass instruments would play) the bass is amplified and your voice sounds lower while you go to the front where flutes and the such are played, the your voice sounds higher because of an amplification of higher frequencies. interesting.

Tungsten
04-16-2003, 07:12 PM
The only thing that I give much consideration to when designing the shape of a sealed box is clearance behind the subwoofer(s) magnet(s) and the closest wall of the box itself. Borrowing an automotive term, I call this "backspacing".

I try to leave at least an inch or two between the back of the speaker motor assembly and the nearest wall of the box. This seems to result in better response from the subs in the few dozen boxes I've built over the years.