PDA

View Full Version : Component/Coaxial boxes - Mini/starter project

Bun-Bun
01-22-2008, 10:07 PM
So its too cold to do any work on my car right now so I decided to start a little project that I can do in the apartment since i have new speakers on teh way.

What I plan to do is build little enclosures for my coaxials that are on there way and make them adaptable to components later on.

This is also going to be practice at making boxes for when I go to make my sub box in my car. The last box I made (while it impressed the hell out of my friends) was not the greatest thing... it molded and bulged out and the bracing broke (had 4 10's pounding away in it... didnt not realize the force those would generate on the baffle... lol) and yeah... also I have never carpeted before so this will be the time to learn.

My questions are... what kind of sizes am I looking at here for some coaxials? does it need to be a certain size? or can it just be deep enough to mount the speakers and some foam? should I insulate them in anyway other then just egg carton foam on the back face? Also should I put them in the same enclosure? Thinking of making seprate enclosures for all four so that I can move them around and play with imaging...

Thanks for any advice :D

EDIT:

Also what material should I make them out of? I was thinking 1/4" MDF...

IDSkoT
01-22-2008, 11:38 PM
This guy I saw, he got Tupperwear that was deep enough to fill his mid-range, toughened it with some fiberglass, then put Dynamat on the inside, and secured it into it... and he said it sounded amazing. Sounds likes a good idea; the only trick is finding a tupperwear that'll fit.

I don't imagine you could walk into Pier 1 and ask the clerk, "Do you have anything that this will fit in?"

Bun-Bun
01-23-2008, 02:19 AM
This guy I saw, he got Tupperwear that was deep enough to fill his mid-range, toughened it with some fiberglass, then put Dynamat on the inside, and secured it into it... and he said it sounded amazing. Sounds likes a good idea; the only trick is finding a tupperwear that'll fit.

I don't imagine you could walk into Pier 1 and ask the clerk, "Do you have anything that this will fit in?"

LMAO

bdawson72
01-23-2008, 02:26 AM

Pier one doesnt sell tupperware. noobx

inapontiac
01-23-2008, 02:47 AM
Pier one doesnt sell tupperware. noobx

PWND

Bun-Bun
01-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Ok ok... enough about tupperware lol

I am thinking 1/4" MDF and making the baffles 8x8" and the box have a depth of 5" or so. Or should I go bigger to 12x12" baffles and 8-12" depth?

And then line it with some kind of sound deadening and some egg carton foam on the back wall.