PDA

View Full Version : Best Single DIN HeadUnit?

x2o
01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
I ran a few searches before, but it seems every thread is about double-din's, which I've yet to find a kit for me car that does dub dins. (2003 Mazda 6s) Only kit I've found has been the Metra Turbo2 which only has single din and ISO support, so I'm on the hunt for a single DIN!

I'm pretty much just starting this hunt, so have no ideas or anything, any suggestions will be considered! No price range as of yet, I need to get a feel for how much a good DIN head unit will cost me then I'll decide how much I wanna toss out for one.

Not really looking for any specific features, just a good HU with decent voltage rca outs.

Thanks!

x2o
01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Hmm, the Pioneer P780MP looks pretty good, any others ones I should look at?

matrxx dude
01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
kenwood x-991 is great

x2o
01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Hm, seems really similar to the pioneer, but I might be missing something. Right now it's between these :

Kenwood X991
Pioneer P780MP
Pioneer P980BT

Any other ones I should add to my list for research? :d

Thanks for the suggestion Matrxx

matrxx dude
01-22-2008, 02:43 PM
the x 991 has built in 512 hard drive,usb,all kinds of goodies,i love mine,i got a 8 gig flash drive hooked up to the usb port,all the music you can ever want at 1 time i figure,plus you can ripp songs directly to the hard drive built in.

matrxx dude
01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Totally digital — the KDC-X991 CD receiver uses a fully digital audio platform with SRS WOW HD™ processing to enhance the clarity, dynamic range, and acoustic presence of your music. In plain English, it makes your MP3, WMA, and AAC tunes sound full-bodied and as close to the original recordings as possible.

You can store up to 370 songs in the internal 512 MB flash memory. The stereo can rip music from your CDs in real time while you listen, or import music files through the USB input, taking only seconds per song to do so. The stereo's display dips into a palette of over 4,000 colors to create smooth, rich images for the background. It also renders four lines of song text, so you can get all of your information at a glance.

Read More
Kenwood's Multi Control Wheel makes for speedy navigation through your music library and the stereo settings. For iPod® control, Kenwood's optional connecting cable uses the stereo's auxiliary and USB inputs so you can even play the Digital Rights-protected files on your iPod. If you want to keep those inputs open, get Kenwood's external iPod control adapter instead.

Details:
General features:
CD player with built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files (will not play Digital Rights-protected music files on disc)
512 MB internal memory for storing songs ripped from CD or transferred via USB connection
motorized, fold-down detachable face with a 4,096-color fluorescent display
remote control
Audio features:
digital platform with SRS WOW HD digital signal processing for improved sound
System Q EX Sound Control (6 EQ curves and a 3-band parametric equalizer)
"Supreme" audio processing for better sound from your compressed music files
speaker settings that allow you to tailor the sound to the size and type of speakers in your car
System E's+ high- and low-pass filters
Expandability:
add-ons: Bluetooth® and iPod adapters, XM or SIRIUS satellite radio, HD Radio™ tuner, CD changer
inputs: rear USB and auxiliary inputs
outputs: three sets of 5-volt preamp outputs
Other features and specs:
car performance computer
warranty: 2 years

ngsm13
01-22-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't like the pioneer's b/c of the ghey uni-pivot controller knob...

Can't stand it. Refuse to use it.

nG

matrxx dude
01-22-2008, 02:48 PM

nG

excatly wat i think of the multi control knob.lol

jdc753
01-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Some others to consider, more on the higher price range though. Alpine 9887 (currently what I am looking for) or Pioneer 880PRS. Also while checking on some things I just noticed the Pioneer P980BT, looks to be an updated version of the 880PRS.

Are there any other specs you are looking for in your HU? Ability to go Active? EQ bands? specific file support? USB input, auxilary input? Are you looking for HD radio, or satelite? iPod connectability?

matrxx dude
01-22-2008, 02:53 PM
if u truly want a single din that basically does it all,check out the jvc-nx 5000

Jameseypoo
01-22-2008, 02:59 PM
alpine 7998

tdawg30
01-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Ive got a pioneer deh-p8600mp and thats a solid unit. If you are interested let me know through pm. dont want to clutter this thread

JimJ
01-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Clarion DRZ9255...

Going to be very hard to find another single DIN unit that can control a 3-way front stage with no external processing required...although an outboard EQ might be handy.

x2o
01-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Wow, I go to take a shower and the thread explodes with content :eek:

So the Pioneer's are annoying to use eh? Forget that then, I'm easily frustrated by stupid design flaws that make every day use tough.

I saw the 512mb of memory on the kenwood 991 and the USB port, but wasn't sure how it all worked. You say it works well? I'll take that into serious consideration then.

And as to whether I'm looking for anything specific : Not really, ability to go active would be nice but not an immediate problem, mainly looking for a nice strong sub preamp out (4v or 5v or whatever), good functionality, and most important a price : performance ratio. I don't mind spending a bit of money as long as I actually get a decent performance boost from it say over a cheaper one.

Thanks a lot for all these replies, I'm looking into them now. :D

EDIT : MP3 compatibility is pretty much a necessity in this case. :) Forgot to mention that.

EDIT 2 : I don't really need a Navigation, so the NX5000 doesn't look to good to me. it seems a navigation on that little screen would be overwhelming :confused:

EDIT 3 : The Clarion unit you suggested JimJ doesn't have support for MP3 :( Wouldn't work for me. Thanks though :D

EDIT 4 : The Alpine 7998 looks good, but wouldn't work for me at the moment due to it's lack of an internal amp and I havn't upgraded my front stage yet. Maybe if I am able to upgrade it soon I'll look into the 7998.

FINAL EDIT : So right now I'm hooked on the KenWood X-991, has everything I want and for $400 brand new, I think this may be it. I am wondering if I could rig up an external hard drive to it via the USB port and be able to play all my music from there, is this possible? I happen to have a 150GB External HDD sitting here from a few months back when I reformatted my computer and had to transfer some stuff before it was lost for good.

FINAL EDIT #2 : Hm, after further thinking, I don't think the external HDD would hold up well with south florida's temperatures. Not sure though, might as well give it a shot anyways if I do end up getting the x-991 as I just have it sitting here as a paperweight though.

x2o
01-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Heading off to bed, bump in hopes of somebody replying :D

Bun-Bun
01-22-2008, 10:05 PM
X2 on the Alpine-9887.

I stumbled upon it by accident when I was looking for a replacement deck for my car when it got flooded out. Walked into a local dealer saw there highest end deck... offered them a price and they took it (like $300 off the sticker price :D) and since then I have read nothing but good things about the deck and I love it in everyway.

Great sound, mp3 capable, ipod connectable, compatible with steering wheel control units, easy to use interface, great tuning potential with its built in crossover and EQ. Just awesome.

I find the new kenwoods to feel cheap and offer less quality DAC's and other components then Alpine.

BALDEAGLE57
01-22-2008, 10:06 PM
PIO DEH-1600 :laugh:

x2o
01-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Hm, so now it's between the X991 and the Alpine 9887. The 9887 just feels as though it's missing something but I don't quite know what

Bun-Bun
01-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Hm, so now it's between the X991 and the Alpine 9887. The 9887 just feels as though it's missing something but I don't quite know what

Hype?

x2o
01-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Hype?

That might be it. Lol no, it just looks as though it's lacking something I need but can't think of at the moment. I don't know :crazy:

Bun-Bun
01-22-2008, 11:28 PM
That might be it. Lol no, it just looks as though it's lacking something I need but can't think of at the moment. I don't know :crazy:

A silly USB jack on teh front? it has an awesome screen (I thought otherwise when reading reviews and looking at pics but useing it in person it is just wow... so clear and no ghosting at all)

I cant think of anything the kenwood can do that the alpine cant do (or more like the awesome crossovers) except for its silly G sensing stuff and onboard memory which is useless IMO.

EDIT: The kenwoods look and feel cheeply built. The alpine feels like a solid unit. the whole experience is just so much nicer.

Megalomaniac
01-22-2008, 11:35 PM

nG

i believe my cd7k uses that too. its a pia at times

x2o
01-22-2008, 11:49 PM
A silly USB jack on teh front? it has an awesome screen (I thought otherwise when reading reviews and looking at pics but useing it in person it is just wow... so clear and no ghosting at all)

I cant think of anything the kenwood can do that the alpine cant do (or more like the awesome crossovers) except for its silly G sensing stuff and onboard memory which is useless IMO.

EDIT: The kenwoods look and feel cheeply built. The alpine feels like a solid unit. the whole experience is just so much nicer.

Hm, your positives on the alpine HU have made me seem more fond of it. It's currently #1 on my list atm. Although I disliked the kenwood flaming as I don't like any flaming, it was in good nature and your trying to help so I'm not gonna say anything about that.

Thanks for the info and suggestion, I believe the alpine 9887 has everything I need and it's almost $100 cheaper than the kenwood. Still not a final decision, but it's pulling ahead.

matrxx dude
01-23-2008, 12:07 AM
the x-991 usb port is in the back attached to a cable,i leave mine in my glove box,and as far as going active this hu does it pretty much all,very solid deck.

Bun-Bun
01-23-2008, 01:06 AM
the x-991 usb port is in the back attached to a cable,i leave mine in my glove box,and as far as going active this hu does it pretty much all,very solid deck.

Even worse it is on teh back of the unit! lol

Alpine has a switch on it that turns its pre-outs into highs, mids, lows instead of fronts, backs, subs. Designed specifically for active setup's. The crossovers can go a wide range of frequencies with octave steps of 3,6,12,18, and 24DB. At least I think it goes down to 3...

And back to the screen... the biolite screen is much more crisp then the x-991. All I can say is when I went to the dealer and looked at the x-991 (which was the deck I intended on buying at the time) I said to myself... why would I pay $900 (CAD) for this cheap plastic looking thing? and the volume knob just felt flimsy... I was concerned with the biolite screen on the alpine not having color but now that I have it I wouldnt have it any other way. All this flashyness on other decks takes away from what is important. Functionality and quality. That and the biolite is just so crisp and easy to read and has relaly cool animations on all its menus (and major holidays ;))

And then I saw the Alpine for $300 less (and I got them down another $300 :D) and went yeah!!! and the audio quality is awesome and if you plan to plug an ipod into then there is none better then alpine. I use my ipod with it all the time and on lossless files or very high bit rate mp3's I am hard pressed to tell the difference between the ipod and the CD from which I ripped the music (granted I actually know how to rip MP3's...). And the screen just surprised me and the volume knob is solid and has very good feedback with its click. Overall just a supurb unit.

In the end they are both veyr good units and you need to go see them for yourself I think. But I personally love the Alpine and would never go to kenwood over it. (although I have heard it has a cleaner sub preout... but I dont beleive it... not that ive compared them myself however)

x2o
01-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Yeah I think I'm gonna have to see these myself. I'll have to check around. Actually, a friend of mine runs one of the kenwoods, not the X-991 though I think its the X791 or something? Not sure, but would that look / feel the same as the 991?

Bun-Bun
01-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah I think I'm gonna have to see these myself. I'll have to check around. Actually, a friend of mine runs one of the kenwoods, not the X-991 though I think its the X791 or something? Not sure, but would that look / feel the same as the 991?

X-991 has all the bells and whistles and the nicer screen. However for a general feel of kenwood the X-791 is a good subject.

x2o
01-23-2008, 07:56 PM
X-991 has all the bells and whistles and the nicer screen. However for a general feel of kenwood the X-791 is a good subject.

Alright I'll try to head out to his house this weekend and out to a store for the alpine :D Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

zero7404
01-24-2008, 09:26 PM
the x 991 has built in 512 hard drive,usb,all kinds of goodies,i love mine,i got a 8 gig flash drive hooked up to the usb port,all the music you can ever want at 1 time i figure,plus you can ripp songs directly to the hard drive built in.

you know i almost bought this head unit for an install this saturday, but something held me back.

somehow i am not really all that convinced that it's as good as, if not better than my CD7000. yeah i messed with it, and loved the GUI and alot of adjustability parameters & features, BUT what's up with all the speaker settings that you don't see on other high-end decks ? like the fields and speaker sizes & other parameters that aren't really described in the manual. i have no idea what these features are actually doing to the audio signal. i don't really want to add extra processing to an audio signal without first knowing what it does to what is being sent to my amp.

because chances are, if it's degrading or introducing noise into it, then why would i want to send it to an audison 5.1K, to blow my expensive speakers ?

only real peeve i have about eclipse, is that the face swing mech. they use makes it a royal PITA to install in some cars and still have the faceplate open right.

Bass911
01-24-2008, 11:08 PM
I have the Alpine 9887 and I too think it is better than the Kenwood. A lot of headunits don't even sound close to Eclipse and Alpines to me. I also like the Eclipse CD7100. I've owned almost every brand out there. I also was impressed with the Rockford headunits but they don't make them anymore.

x2o
01-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Ah thanks for the extra input guys!

MBrock4u
01-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I am a solid Excelon fan, but that Alpine 9887 is a beautful deck. It would be hard to argue against it . It is a solid choice. Alpine's are just beautiful decks. With that being said, the sq of the the X-991 is very hard to beat.

grampi
01-26-2008, 11:30 PM
I'd like to say 9887, but mine hasn't worked long enough for me to really get to play with it much yet. When it worked it sounded great!

Louisiana_CRX
01-27-2008, 12:35 AM
I like the JVC NX5000 it is a very nice DIN model...with built in navigation...DVD.....built in hard drive for storing music.....fast IPOD controls....I really like it....

tcguy85
01-27-2008, 12:13 PM
best single din: Pioneer Premier 880PRS. for the money it can't be beat.

grampi
01-27-2008, 01:35 PM
best single din: Pioneer Premier 880PRS. for the money it can't be beat.

Claiming ANYTHING is the best in any audio forum is just asking for trouble. There's always something better.

Louisiana_CRX
01-27-2008, 01:40 PM
I wish my JVC had better EQ and crossover abilities...something like my Alpine phantom face.....

jaredspl
01-27-2008, 01:45 PM
the sony kamillion. LOL

tcguy85
01-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Claiming ANYTHING is the best in any audio forum is just asking for trouble. There's always something better.

true true. i'm just saying for my needs, i don't think i could have found a better HU for $270 shipped.

x2o
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
hm, well I think I've decided on the 9887, I played with both of them and really like the 9887.

Thanks for all the help guys! :D!