PDA

View Full Version : Problem with New CDA-9887

amedeuce
01-20-2008, 05:40 PM
So I got my new 9887 from Crutchfield on Friday. It is replacing my 9833.
I set it to 3-way and wire up the harness. I check one of the rca out's with my osope to check for clipping. Of course with all the alpine units I've used, they don't clip.
So I just decide to use same volume for setting up gains as I did with the 9833 which is 24/35.
I set up gains on amp and in fact I didn't have to adjust at all as they were already set from the 9833.
So I start to mess around with the 9887, getting used to the settings and tweaking everything and swapping + & - on the amp for phasing and what not.
I set the balance over to left and notice that it is extremely quiter than the right.

So after trying every troubleshooting procedure like different rca's, amp settings, h/u settings, you name it.
I thought it was the rca wires so I wiggled them and notice volume increase as I did this, so it must be the rca's, right?
Wrong.
Got my rca test plug out (male rca cut and spliced) and plugged it into each rca out on the back of the 9887.

Volume 28/35 - 1khz test tone - using oscope

The bottom rca outs (sub) are fine. 1.9xx volts
The middle rca outs (front) red fine black about half voltage .8xx volts unless you slightly pull out the plug then it's fine (it did this with several different plugs) then it would be 1.9xx volts
The top rca outs (rear) done for! They read a whopping 24mV :(

At first it was only one of the top rca outs that was reading 24mV and then they both went out.

I wonder if this could have been caused by me somehow. I have installed plenty of headunits without a single problem, ever.
But this is weird to me, it's like it started to go out slowly then the channels died.

However a simple 3 minute phone call to crutchfield and a new unit is on the way. :D

amedeuce
01-20-2008, 07:45 PM
well maybe I'm an idiot.
I might have it figured out, brb

amedeuce
01-20-2008, 08:17 PM
No dice.
If I set the h/u to F/R/Sub everything is fine, proper voltage and all that. However
When I switch it to 3-way everything is goofy, the voltage is way off.

bikinpunk
01-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Someone else here had issues with the RCA out on the 9887 and had to get a new one. Think it was "grampi".

amedeuce
01-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Someone else here had issues with the RCA out on the 9887 and had to get a new one. Think it was "grampi".

Ah, I just searched and found that thread. You're right it was grampi.

But could the preout on the unit be bad just in 3-way and fine in F/R/Sub?

amedeuce
01-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Well I guess the preout wouldn't be "bad" but the something goes wrong when switched to 3-way

grampi
01-21-2008, 11:17 AM
So I got my new 9887 from Crutchfield on Friday. It is replacing my 9833.
I set it to 3-way and wire up the harness. I check one of the rca out's with my osope to check for clipping. Of course with all the alpine units I've used, they don't clip.
So I just decide to use same volume for setting up gains as I did with the 9833 which is 24/35.
I set up gains on amp and in fact I didn't have to adjust at all as they were already set from the 9833.
So I start to mess around with the 9887, getting used to the settings and tweaking everything and swapping + & - on the amp for phasing and what not.
I set the balance over to left and notice that it is extremely quiter than the right.

So after trying every troubleshooting procedure like different rca's, amp settings, h/u settings, you name it.
I thought it was the rca wires so I wiggled them and notice volume increase as I did this, so it must be the rca's, right?
Wrong.
Got my rca test plug out (male rca cut and spliced) and plugged it into each rca out on the back of the 9887.

Volume 28/35 - 1khz test tone - using oscope

The bottom rca outs (sub) are fine. 1.9xx volts
The middle rca outs (front) red fine black about half voltage .8xx volts unless you slightly pull out the plug then it's fine (it did this with several different plugs) then it would be 1.9xx volts
The top rca outs (rear) done for! They read a whopping 24mV :(

At first it was only one of the top rca outs that was reading 24mV and then they both went out.

I wonder if this could have been caused by me somehow. I have installed plenty of headunits without a single problem, ever.
But this is weird to me, it's like it started to go out slowly then the channels died.

However a simple 3 minute phone call to crutchfield and a new unit is on the way. :D

At least you were smart enough to buy your's from a reputable retailer. I've been staring at that ugly, empty hole in my dash for almost a month now. All of the preouts on my 9887 went completely dead and I have no idea why. This is the first time in 20 years of installing stereos that I've ever had problems with preamp outputs.

amedeuce
01-21-2008, 12:37 PM
At least you were smart enough to buy your's from a reputable retailer. I've been staring at that ugly, empty hole in my dash for almost a month now. All of the preouts on my 9887 went completely dead and I have no idea why. This is the first time in 20 years of installing stereos that I've ever had problems with preamp outputs.

Yea I'm glad I went with crutchfield, sometimes the best price isn't always the best deal. The extra 100 bucks is worth it to me in this case.

amedeuce
01-21-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm actually going to go mess around with it more. I can't put it to rest, I have to know I've tried every troubleshooting procedure before I give up. I still have a new one coming and if this one for some odd reason starts working, I'll still switch it out when the replacement shows up next week.

grampi
01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Yea I'm glad I went with crutchfield, sometimes the best price isn't always the best deal. The extra 100 bucks is worth it to me in this case.

I'm finding that out the hard way. :(

nismos14
01-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Thats weird, I have had no issue with mine... good luck let us know how it turns out.

amedeuce
01-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Thats weird, I have had no issue with mine... good luck let us know how it turns out.

Hey, are you running yours active?
When yours is set to 3-way is the voltage on the rear channels a lot less, say 24mV?
I'm thinking this is the way alpine has it set up, so you are supposed to run the tweets off the rear channels.
I'm getting so confused because I think that the voltage is sparatic and this is throwing me way off.
I've tested this with my 9833, so I think in 3-way the voltage is reduced to 24mV.
On the 9833 it's the front preouts that are affected and on the 9887 its the rear preouts.
However, as I'm reading voltage on the rca cables themselves, I'm getting -
on the rear rca cables red one is "sometimes" .863 and the black one is 24mV, but it isn't consistantly like that and it changes when I swap the red/black.

On the front channels sometimes both read 1.927 and the red always reads that but sometimes the black reads .863.

:confused: All I really know is it's driving me insane.

amedeuce
01-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I think if I mess with it anymore, the next thing to do is try to single out which preout is bad exactly, but like I said in the original post
the preouts all read just fine in F/R/Sub, but in 3-way it is crazy.
I've tried different rca cables, but this isn't the problem, because in the F/R/Sub everything is as it should be. Although pulling the plugs in and out a million times, I could now have a bad cable as well, any thing is possible at this point.

nismos14
01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Hey, are you running yours active?
When yours is set to 3-way is the voltage on the rear channels a lot less, say 24mV?
I'm thinking this is the way alpine has it set up, so you are supposed to run the tweets off the rear channels.
I'm getting so confused because I think that the voltage is sparatic and this is throwing me way off.
I've tested this with my 9833, so I think in 3-way the voltage is reduced to 24mV.
On the 9833 it's the front preouts that are affected and on the 9887 its the rear preouts.
on the rear rca cables red one is "sometimes" .863 and the black one is 24mV, but it isn't consistantly like that and it changes when I swap the red/black.

On the front channels sometimes both read 1.927 and the red always reads that but sometimes the black reads .863.

:confused: All I really know is it's driving me insane.

I am running active, but notice no difference in the sound fading it left to right. I never tested the pre-outs on the deck. IF memory serves me well tweeter is on the bottom mid is in teh middle and sub is on top, of course the manual doesn't state this anywhere.. who can confirm?

amedeuce
01-21-2008, 07:03 PM
I am running active, but notice no difference in the sound fading it left to right. I never tested the pre-outs on the deck. IF memory serves me well tweeter is on the bottom mid is in teh middle and sub is on top, of course the manual doesn't state this anywhere.. who can confirm?

Just to clarify all the voltage readings I speak of are taken from the head unit and rca cables with the volume at 28/35.

nismos, in the manual on one of the last pages (in english) there is a Schematic that shows which is which and on the rear of the unit it shows

Top preout "R"

middle preout "F"

bottom preout "sw"

aeon
01-21-2008, 07:33 PM
maybe you're getting a low reading when going 3-way because the rear preout are for the tweets?

amedeuce
01-21-2008, 08:11 PM
maybe you're getting a low reading when going 3-way because the rear preout are for the tweets?

Yes, that is what I meant here.

aeon
01-21-2008, 08:14 PM
oh sorry, i didn't read through the whole thread.

amedeuce
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
oh sorry, i didn't read through the whole thread.

not a problem. :)

nismos14
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Yea but it doesn't specify which is whch for active xover right?

amedeuce
01-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Yea but it doesn't specify which is whch for active xover right?

Not specifically, but if you read into the T/A (time alignment) settings, the L-F (left-front) is the inital setting and it show that to be Mid Left.

if you look on page 18 about adjusting and storing the time correction.

Look at number 3.
2.2 channel (3 way) system
L-F ----->R-F--- L-R-->-->R-R
(mid-L) (mid-R)-(high-L)-(High-R)

amedeuce
01-21-2008, 10:00 PM
So to me that would make sense to put the tweeters on the rear channels of the head unit, less voltage. Right?
However, mine is still screwy, but that's besides the point here. So I did change my amp gains and swapped everything to have the mids on the front channels and the tweeters on the rear channels.

aeon
01-21-2008, 10:24 PM
i had that problem mixing up the front and rear. i had no mid bass at all, just highs playing from the mids and tweets. switched the rca cables and everything just came alive.

amedeuce
01-21-2008, 10:28 PM
i had that problem mixing up the front and rear. i had no mid bass at all, just highs playing from the mids and tweets. switched the rca cables and everything just came alive.

I did that as well, I just hope that the new unit I get doesn't act the same way and it's just something I'm doing wrong. I really don't think so though.
I wish alpine would have just left the preouts as they have always been.
Front on top rear in middle and sub on bottom. And I've always put the tweets on the front and mids on the rear channel of the amplifier, guess not anymore with this unit.

amedeuce
01-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I finally figured it out what's wrong with it!!! 400 dollars and I have to deal with this!!

I've narrowed it down to one preout.
One of the preouts in the middle set which on this unit is the fronts.
So it's the front left - the white preout.

This is what is wrong and why I had a hard time figuring it out.
If I push the rca cable in like everyone else in the universe does, all the way,
this would caused the voltage to be just about half. If I slightly pull out on the plug the voltage would be fine, but it has to be perfect, not to far in or to far out.

I tried this with several rca test plugs. Plus once plugged in all the way, voltage at half and the plug wiggled at all the voltage would go to almost zero.
With the plug pulled partially out and reading full voltage, if the plug is in anyway wiggled, voltage drops off.