PDA

View Full Version : Help me with Pre-Amp usage.

528hz
01-17-2008, 01:39 PM
O.k., I've been trying to figure this out for a while, but maybe I've been looking in the wrong place. Anyhow, here goes:

So I have a Mercedes with the factory Bose highs mids, and AMP. Now the amp is not RCA powered from the HU, but rather runs through a wiring harness. I want to run a pre-amp HU, or at least turn the internal amp off of HU for better sound quality.

So I guess my question is, does the factory amp have to have RCA inputs in order for everything to work through HU with the internal amp turned off? Is there a way I can make it work without changing the amp out?

Converter maybe to RCAs?

528hz
01-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Can anyone answer this question.

wierdguy75
01-18-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm not quite sure what your trying to do. Could you please clarify? Are you trying to add a aftermarket amp for your mids and highs? Your stock head unit most likely does not have an rca output. If you want to disengage the factory amp then all you have to do is find the amp turn on lead from the back of the radio and disconnect it.

528hz
01-18-2008, 12:38 PM
So I guess my question is, does the factory amp have to have RCA inputs in order for everything to work through HU with the internal amp turned off? Is there a way I can make it work without changing the amp out?

Converter maybe to RCAs?

That is the question.

andrewmoore13
01-18-2008, 01:11 PM
You want a new HU and want to use the factory amp?

528hz
01-18-2008, 01:31 PM
You want a new HU and want to use the factory amp?

Correct. The factory Bose amp is NOT RCA connected to the HU, it is through wires in the wiring harness.

blackbonnie
01-18-2008, 04:09 PM
whenever you get a new hu just grab a wiring harness that will incoporate the factory amp. it will be more expensive then a normal wiring harness but its what you got to do

nismos14
01-18-2008, 05:00 PM
You need to incorporate the rcas or a high low converter because the oem amps needs a low level signal.

528hz
01-18-2008, 06:00 PM
You need to incorporate the rcas or a high low converter because the oem amps needs a low level signal.

Exactly what I was thinking, Sir. Use a converter to convert the power, ground and remote from the amp, then run RCAs from the converter to the deck. That sound right?

nismos14
01-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Exactly what I was thinking, Sir. Use a converter to convert the power, ground and remote from the amp, then run RCAs from the converter to the deck. That sound right?

I'm not sure what you mean - a converter to convert power ground and remote from the amp??? Why?? You seem to be making this all too complicated. You have all your wiring there behind the headunit. Run power/ground/rca to the amp from batter/chassis/converter? and remote turn on from a switched 12v.

528hz
01-18-2008, 07:32 PM
No dude. The power, remote and ground from the BOSE amp to the converter, then from the converter to the RCAs on the HU.

528hz
01-18-2008, 07:35 PM
The factory Bose amp has no 12v hook up, it's straight to the deck, not battery. It just takes the signal from the deck to power it.