PDA

View Full Version : 2.4, 15" Mag, Sealed..Box Log/Help

SHOemup233
01-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Sorry, no pictures yet. I will be building the box this weekend. Just going to go out and get the supplies tomorrow. Hopefully starting friday, saturday.
Dimensions will be 15.5 deep x 17 high x 18 long.
To be about ~2.4 cubes I'm pretty sure.

This will be my first box, so any tips before I begin?
What other woods would be possible besides 3/4" MDF, although I am assuming it will be 3/4" wood. What would be best?
What screws do you guys prefer?
And I have read enough to know to use wood glue not anything else. Should I also use silicone to seal? It probably won't be carpeted.
Any tips are greatly appreciated. It will be for a 15" mag, if I should change my box design also let me know.

Thanks

BuckyBoy
01-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Predrill.

SHOemup233
01-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Yeah. I'll definitely do that. Any other tips? I'm going to go out and get the wood today and cut it.

budahbuddy803
01-17-2008, 05:03 PM
i used some fat wood screws on a box and that was terrible. Make sure the screws are pretty skinny. Sand, glue, screw is what i would do. If you get nice straight accurate cuts everything after that is easy. Take your time on the cuts and measure twice cut once.

bimma85
01-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Sorry, no pictures yet. I will be building the box this weekend. Just going to go out and get the supplies tomorrow. Hopefully starting friday, saturday.

This will be my first box, so any tips before I begin?
What other woods would be possible besides 3/4" MDF, although I am assuming it will be 3/4" wood. What would be best?
What screws do you guys prefer?
And I have read enough to know to use wood glue not anything else. Should I also use silicone to seal? It probably won't be carpeted.
Any tips are greatly appreciated. It will be for a 15" mag, if I should change my box design also let me know.

Thanks

that box will be more like 1.9 cubes net, not sure where you came up with 2.4.

Building a sealed box is pretty simple. My advice, measure twice...cut once :). Make sure your cuts are straight and correct and you'll be fine.

SHOemup233
01-17-2008, 05:29 PM
that box will be more like 1.9 cubes net, not sure where you came up with 2.4.

Building a sealed box is pretty simple. My advice, measure twice...cut once :). Make sure your cuts are straight and correct and you'll be fine.

How did you figure out the cubic feet? The way I did it was obviously wrong. ha.
I'm looking for about 2.3-2.5 cubes after sub displacement. So 2.5-2.7 before.
With 3/4" wood, how much wider should I go? Thanks

jdc753
01-17-2008, 05:36 PM

How did you figure out the cubic feet? The way I did it was obviously wrong. ha.
I'm looking for about 2.3-2.5 cubes after sub displacement. So 2.5-2.7 before.
With 3/4" wood, how much wider should I go? Thanks

Any of those dimensions you would like to remain constant? Like do you have a particular space your trying to fill?

EDIT: I get 2.07 ft^3 for your original dimensions, to make it 2.7 before displacement you would have to go to a width of 23"

SHOemup233
01-17-2008, 05:49 PM
I would like to keep the depth and the height the same, it could go maybe an inch or two deeper. But preferably not, unless it effects output or something.

SHOemup233
01-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Alright, well thank god you told me that before I went and cut the wood!
Will start cutting and everything tomorrow morning. Thanks guys

jdc753
01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
sounds good, keep us posted. Take some pics while you build and post em up here.

SHOemup233
01-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Well guys...
I was literally turning into home depot and my battery light turned on, accompanied by a loud whine when above 2000 rpms. The light turns off when I'm above 1500 rpm's, but below that the lights dim badly. So I'm assuming my alt is gone. On the way to home depot to get the wood for my box. The worst coincidence.. So I won't be able to make a box at least until next weekend. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know when I start up again.