PDA

View Full Version : Question on Alpine CDA9887 and the new ipod Nano v1.3

Darion
01-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi all, hopefully someone can help me out on this. I have sitting at my house a CDA9887, iPod interface cable and a new 8gig iPod Nano version 1.3. The Nano was a Chrisrmas gift so I sprung for the new Alpine to run it in my car. The question is will this work together. I just noticed that on the cable package it says compatable with Nano v1.2, doesn't say anything about v1.3 nor could I find anything out online.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

:patrioti:

jdc753
01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm not a big expert on iPods or anything but I do remember this thread from a couple of days ago that may be helpful for you. http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283680

Or it could be completely off, but you will probably have to try it out and see if it works. I also don't know if you would be able to reflash the iPod to an older versions that would be compatible if the newer one indeed isn't

hope this helps

Darion
01-13-2008, 10:54 AM
jcd753,

Thanks for the reply and the link. Hope that isn't the situation with the Alpine I just bought.

So, If anyone knows the answer to this from experiance it would be a big help, otherwise I will have to install the HU and see what happens, suppose I sould call Alpine tomorrow before I cut wires. Anyway, I will update as soon as I find out either way.

Thanks,

Pat

redrocket
01-13-2008, 11:40 AM
jcd753,

Thanks for the reply and the link. Hope that isn't the situation with the Alpine I just bought.

So, If anyone knows the answer to this from experiance it would be a big help, otherwise I will have to install the HU and see what happens, suppose I sould call Alpine tomorrow before I cut wires. Anyway, I will update as soon as I find out either way.

Thanks,

Pat

I'm pretty sure it won't work. Alpine's new models this year state that the new iPods will be compatible so that means the older units won't be. You can try but I doubt it will work.

Darion
01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it won't work. Alpine's new models this year state that the new iPods will be compatible so that means the older units won't be. You can try but I doubt it will work.

:( Well, have to get ahold of Alpine and find out. The CDA-9887 is listed as a 2008 model as it is in there 2008 catalogue, what can I say, clear as mud.

Thanks,

Pat

Darion
01-13-2008, 04:22 PM
ttt

BringDaBoom
01-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Called iPod Support about this same thing because I got a first Gen. Nano and didn't know wheather it was too old or not. The tech guy basially told me the Alpines with the direct iPod interface work with every iPod except the new touch. This was also back in October. Mine ended up working just fine. As long as you got the latest software version on it it may be good. TIFWIW

If not, good excuse to get a new 80 gig classic :D

Darion
01-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Called iPod Support about this same thing because I got a first Gen. Nano and didn't know wheather it was too old or not. The tech guy basially told me the Alpines with the direct iPod interface wrk with every iPod except the new touch. Mine ended up working just fine. So TIFWIW

Thanks for posting that information:cool:, I also was provided this from another forum, corvetteforum.com;

Crutchfield Site Says the following

iPod Full Speed: The CDA-9887 has an iPod Direct Connection mounted on a 4" pigtail on the rear panel. When used with the optional KCE-422i Alpine Full Speed Connection cable (500KCE422i), your receiver can interface with most Apple iPods with a dock connector. You can quickly and easily search through all of the music contained on your iPod by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, or Composer. You can view artist, album, song, and track number on the head unit's display. When operating your iPod through the Full Speed connection, you can use the Direct Search function in Playlist, Artist, Album, or Song mode to quickly locate your music . Using the unit's preset buttons, you can quickly jump over a designated percentage of your song content (Preset 1: 0% to 16%, Preset 2: 17% to 32%, Preset 3: 33% to 49%, Preset 4: 50% to 66%, Preset 5: 67% to 82%, Preset 6: 83% to 100% of the song library). The unit can be used with the following iPod versions:

Fourth generation iPod: Version 3.1.1 or later
Fifth generation iPod: Version 1.1.2 or later
iPod photo: Version 1.2.1 or later
iPod mini: Version 1.4.1 or later
iPod nano: Version 1.2 or later

That was the first time I have seen it stated version 1.2 or later. Gonna call to be sure tomorrow before I install but hoping it will all be good.

I'll keep this updated,

Pat

Darion
01-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Ok, so I talked to Alpine today and they said new iPods will work fine but not to download any software updates from Apple. There are issues with the newest updates that cause compatability issues with the HU reading them and they are working with Apple to resolve the problem. I didn't have time to put the HU in my car today but hope to this week and when I get it done I'll post what happens.

Pat

speedfreak28
01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
i have the new nano and the 9887, no problems at all, i havent downloaded any updates lately, glad u posted that

Darion
01-17-2008, 06:23 PM
i have the new nano and the 9887, no problems at all, i havent downloaded any updates lately, glad u posted that

Yup, just got everything in and working and no issues with the iPod interface, works perfect. As far as I can tell, and according to Alpine, as long as we don't do the current updates we will be fine.

Pat

aeon
01-17-2008, 06:32 PM
sorry to go off topic, but does anyone get any hissing when using the ipod? i get a lot of hissing with the ipod connected, but if i'm using a regular cd i don't get any hissing at all.

Darion
01-18-2008, 01:49 AM
sorry to go off topic, but does anyone get any hissing when using the ipod? i get a lot of hissing with the ipod connected, but if i'm using a regular cd i don't get any hissing at all.

No hissing for me in this car or my daily driver that just hooks up through the stock radio aux input.

Pat