PDA

View Full Version : Tv's

BDIDDY
04-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Looking for 10" and above screens. Either flip down or just the screen. Also these need to be good stuff not the best but not crap either.

paikiah
04-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by BDIDDY
Looking for 10" and above screens. Either flip down or just the screen. Also these need to be good stuff not the best but not crap either.

just get yourself a 15" PC LCD screen with TV inputs, or a converter to send singlas through the normal monitor jack (it's what I use to play PS2 on my computer monitor using an S-cable) I find normal caraudio screens so expensive, compared to PC LCD's...

if my car was larger, I'd probably fit that in instead of 2 small mintors on the headrest. same price, one bigarse screen instead of 2 puny ones. a 15" would look HUGE in a car, though. It will probably strain your eyes.

BDIDDY
04-11-2003, 09:38 PM
How much are these and were is the best place.

paikiah
04-11-2003, 10:23 PM
How much are these and were is the best place.

I would sya your nearest computer store... ask for LCD monitors with video inputs, or a module that converts RCA to the monitor jack...

BDIDDY
04-12-2003, 12:21 AM
Do you know what the prices are. About 400 or so do you think? What about circuit city or electronic express or are those to high?

BDIDDY
04-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Now would I need a power converter and if I bought that and those cables and a power inverter for the screen is that all I would need? I was looking at sams club and they got a 15 inch for 249 its a samgsung which is a pretty good brand right? You live in like china so you should know about this stuff right? Thanks for the help yeah.

paikiah
04-12-2003, 11:37 AM
Now would I need a power converter and if I bought that and those cables and a power inverter for the screen is that all I would need? I was looking at sams club and they got a 15 inch for 249 its a samgsung which is a pretty good brand right? You live in like china so you should know about this stuff right? Thanks for the help yeah.

well, you would need an inverter, but it does not have to be a very powerful one... the old green PC thing is very standard.. most PC parts do not draw too much power. Yes, Samsung, a korean electronics company that also dominates the RAM chip industry like Intel, produces very good LCD's. THey even produce OEM for compaq, amongst others.

I know about these things cause I studied computing overseas, and know about Samsung cause it's my country's leading conglomerate. No, I do not live in CHina...

you should be able to get other brands too, since you live in like Mexico, right? It's in North America...:rolleyes:

jayrebb
04-15-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by paikiah
well, you would need an inverter, but it does not have to be a very powerful one... the old green PC thing is very standard.. most PC parts do not draw too much power. Yes, Samsung, a korean electronics company that also dominates the RAM chip industry like Intel, produces very good LCD's. THey even produce OEM for compaq, amongst others.

I know about these things cause I studied computing overseas, and know about Samsung cause it's my country's leading conglomerate. No, I do not live in CHina...

you should be able to get other brands too, since you live in like Mexico, right? It's in North America...:rolleyes:

HA HA!!...

O.K. hey i was wondering if you know much about using old laptop screens, like if the laptop is shot but the screen is good...what do ya think...since you live in china....heh.

paikiah
04-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by jayrebb
HA HA!!...

O.K. hey i was wondering if you know much about using old laptop screens, like if the laptop is shot but the screen is good...what do ya think...since you live in china....heh.

well, mexican boy...

the things you would need to do to convert a notebook screen to get powered by DC and have the tools to convert the ribbons to an adapter, you are better off getting the 15.1"... the first generation LCD's were smaller though..12"~14"... you could get those dirt cheap..but don't know about working condition. The life expectancy of an LCD and plasma are given as 15 years. SInce it would nowhere be that old, I think it would be a safe buy, so long as you don't see specks of dust on the screen. Can't get those dust spots out, and tin trying to do so, you might introduce a whole shitload more dust into it. I leave my ipaq alone when a speck enters. My general didn't, and he screwed his up.

eengrms
04-15-2003, 01:31 PM
well, mexican boy...

the things you would need to do to convert a notebook screen to get powered by DC and have the tools to convert the ribbons to an adapter, you are better off getting the 15.1"... the first generation LCD's were smaller though..12"~14"... you could get those dirt cheap..but don't know about working condition. The life expectancy of an LCD and plasma are given as 15 years. SInce it would nowhere be that old, I think it would be a safe buy, so long as you don't see specks of dust on the screen. Can't get those dust spots out, and tin trying to do so, you might introduce a whole shitload more dust into it. I leave my ipaq alone when a speck enters. My general didn't, and he screwed his up.

Actually laptop screens already run on 12V DC. You should be able to hook it right in, making the ribbon cable as paikiah suggested. When I was in college we built robots for a senior design class and it had four laptop screens on it all powered from car batteries mounted in the bottom of the robot. We did have to get a DC-DC convertor to let us drop down to the 3.5 and 5 volts required for the rest of the computer parts we mounted in them. They worked like a champ.

jayrebb
04-16-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by eengrms
Actually laptop screens already run on 12V DC. You should be able to hook it right in, making the ribbon cable as paikiah suggested. When I was in college we built robots for a senior design class and it had four laptop screens on it all powered from car batteries mounted in the bottom of the robot. We did have to get a DC-DC convertor to let us drop down to the 3.5 and 5 volts required for the rest of the computer parts we mounted in them. They worked like a champ.

Well that would be nice since they are already 12v DC, any ideas on where i could find information about making or getting an adapter for the ribbon?? what do you think paikiah?? thanks for you guy`s help..... I already got a ghetto sound system, that bumps pretty good....now i need a ghetto dvd system, I always do my projects under a hundred bucks...and i always find a way, thanks guys.

eengrms
04-16-2003, 04:19 PM
...I always do my projects under a hundred bucks...

lol!! I bet you got some nice ****. Good luck!

jayrebb
04-17-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by eengrms
lol!! I bet you got some nice ****. Good luck!

I always got nice ****.

paikiah
04-17-2003, 04:40 AM
Well that would be nice since they are already 12v DC, any ideas on where i could find information about making or getting an adapter for the ribbon?? what do you think paikiah?? thanks for you guy`s help..... I already got a ghetto sound system, that bumps pretty good....now i need a ghetto dvd system, I always do my projects under a hundred bucks...and i always find a way, thanks guys.

Nope, no info on the ribbons... you might have to make your own... slightly thick ribbons can be attained easily in your local PC store.

Ghetto DVD system. You're only gonna get what you put into it, so you might wanna see what your full options are..

ghetto or not, in terms of audio, if you can get it to sound clean, and do a clean install job, then I'm sure there's no reason it shouldn't be bad...

jayrebb
04-17-2003, 05:34 AM
Nope, no info on the ribbons... you might have to make your own... slightly thick ribbons can be attained easily in your local PC store.

Ghetto DVD system. You're only gonna get what you put into it, so you might wanna see what your full options are..

ghetto or not, in terms of audio, if you can get it to sound clean, and do a clean install job, then I'm sure there's no reason it shouldn't be bad...

Well thats the way i look at it, i just dont go for the expensive "look" you know? like fancy installs n` stuff, they are nice but it cost money and i like more of a rugged look, wich is not very common in car audio. When i say i do it "ghetto" i dont mean i throw in pyle subs powered by a legacy amp and thump speakers, i use decent stuff and it often used but always in great condition, i end up with pretty good sound..not comp. but pretty good, and a couple hundred outa my pocket at most....this is why i so value your guy`s information, if i can learn from you and apply what i know, that means no install fees. so again, i really appreciate it.....think if Mad Max had a sound system w/ dvd....thats Me! Hell Yeah!

cjlj1
04-08-2004, 06:37 PM
I have a new 10.4 emerson flip down and emerson dvd player with head phone the whole. I'm willing sell for $1000 or best offer.

jaheim
04-12-2004, 05:24 PM
I just bought a 10.4" SAVV monitor. Fully motorized with a remote, very nice monitor. I got mine for $900.