PDA

View Full Version : Going to Ported from Sealed - couple of questions

jda
01-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Never had a ported box. This is for a daily driver BTW.

Couple of high level questions:

What is the result if I use a smaller ported box - say 1.4-1.5 CF on a T1 fosgate 12. This is .75 smaller than recommended. Will it ruin the sub, just mess with the output or both?

I don't have a lot of room and need to decide to keep the sealed or go with a port.

Thanks.

Trixter
01-11-2008, 02:07 PM
if you go with a smaller box, and its ported, at least you can maintain some low freq. in a sealed you don't have that option. you will not ruin the sub.

PV Audio
01-11-2008, 09:00 PM
The output will be far more peaky and prone to sound boomy at higher frequencies. Also, it is more difficult to tune for a small box as a port quickly eats up volume in the enclosure. You won't harm a sub in too small a box, it's the other way around.

Crodski
01-11-2008, 09:02 PM
yea i went from a small sealed box to a fair sized ported box and i couldnt be more than pleased with the output of it. now my sub doesnt bottom out

jda
01-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the help. I will have to deal with the sound. I don't have a lot of room, so I don't have much choice. On the positive side, my honda has 300K and I can pick a car with a large trunk before too long.