PDA

View Full Version : car acts up around 40mph

bad @SS chevy
01-06-2008, 03:29 AM
Hey, I have a 00 monte carlo ss. And before i take it into the shop to get it looked at.. I get a stumble/stutter when im lightly accelerating 35 mph to 50 mph. What are some things i can check for or what may cause this.. Dirty airfilter? bad plugs? I have no check engine lights or anything. and i have noticed my gas mileage going down..

luvinthebass
01-06-2008, 03:31 AM
transmission fluid

bad @SS chevy
01-06-2008, 03:32 AM
It was changed less then a year ago. and additives where added.

toolfan89
01-06-2008, 03:33 AM
it doesnt like going 40 mph that means you have to go faster. maybe 200ish.

MisterGrubbs
01-06-2008, 03:34 AM
Tons of things...

Checked the spark plugs lately?

bad @SS chevy
01-06-2008, 03:35 AM
spark plugs are 6 months old. I used to get around 24 mpg in the city, its down to 19 mpg now on my car mileage gauge

MisterGrubbs
01-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Well ****, you checked yer blinker fluid?

bad @SS chevy
01-06-2008, 03:37 AM
LOL @ blinker fluid... My I have a cold air intake k&n filter,, Maybe ill just try cleaning that with the k&n cleaner.

MisterGrubbs
01-06-2008, 03:38 AM
There's tons of things it could be from a burnt sparkplug to something to do with your fuel filter(although stupid) to even your coilpack, the best thing you can do is just have them run a check for codes being thrown, even though you dont have any lights on you might have tossed a code somewhere

bad @SS chevy
01-06-2008, 03:40 AM
actually,,, About 2 months ago a code did pop up.. MISFIRE ON CYL.3... but went away when I disconected battery to work on stereo and didnt come back.

MisterGrubbs
01-06-2008, 03:40 AM
And even though it wont solve anything, throw some injectore cleaner and some 93 octane in that bisch to make her happier

MisterGrubbs
01-06-2008, 03:41 AM
And why in the hell didnt you look into that? The codes are there for a reason hoss, even though I ignore the **** things most of the time as well haha

Spend the 30 bucks, get them to read yoru **** and give you a realistic idea of what's going on

bad @SS chevy
ok... ill get some of the lucas injector cleaner.. i like there products. and a full tank of 93..

amoffitt
Hey, I have a 00 monte carlo ss. And before i take it into the shop to get it looked at.. I get a stumble/stutter when im lightly accelerating 35 mph to 50 mph. What are some things i can check for or what may cause this.. Dirty airfilter? bad plugs? I have no check engine lights or anything. and i have noticed my gas mileage going down..

Im not exactly sure. I have an impala almost the same car but i never had that problem.. But these guys might help. www.naioa.com. its a impala/monte carlo forum.

bad @SS chevy
01-06-2008, 03:42 AM
the light hasnt came back lol.. so it cant be to serious.. or it is.. that is the question

MisterGrubbs
01-06-2008, 03:45 AM
Im not exactly sure. I have an impala almost the same car but i never had that problem.. But these guys might help. www.naioa.com. its a impala/monte carlo forum.

Not a bad idea, just like you come here for people(well, some people) who know their audio, why not go to a forum dedicated to cars when yours fvcks up, eh?

Best of luck, sir

bad @SS chevy
01-06-2008, 03:46 AM
thank you all. Im going to go have stripper *** now. thanks

Ferendon
01-07-2008, 01:50 AM
And even though it wont solve anything, throw some injectore cleaner and some 93 octane in that bisch to make her happier
A tank of 93 won't do any good. It will more than likely make your gas mileage even worse. The octane ratings measures the gasoline's ability to resist detonation (knocking). In other words, higher octane = needs more compression to pop. If the car isn't pinging or knocking, then there is absolutely no need to run anything other than what you have in it now. On cars that don't provide the compression needed to get a good burn out of premium, you're only going to end up with worse gas mileage.

http://www.quiktrip.com/gasoline/myth.asp
Even QT put it on their website.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/pf/saving/willis/index.htm
Again on CNN.
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/consumer_tips/regular_vs_premium.html
And the CEC, citing the American Petroleum Institute.

Do the RPMs do any skipping around, or do they just stutter along with the car. If the RPMs stutter with the acceleration, it's probably engine problems, if the RPMs jump or sit still, it's probably a trans problem. Pull your plugs and take a pick of the electrodes and check them against something like this : http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/diagnosis.htm
If you have an ohm meter you can test your plug wires, assuming you know the resistance per foot they should be at. Most auto parts stores can test DIS modules, if the car has one. This can fail at specific RPM ranges, without failing completely.

SRim23
01-07-2008, 01:53 AM
LOL @ blinker fluid... My I have a cold air intake k&n filter,, Maybe ill just try cleaning that with the k&n cleaner.

last time i checked the K&n didnt need to be cleaned for like 100k miles. at least thats what the one i had for my trans am said. and if i recall the cleaner is almost as much as buying a new one so might as well get a new one if thats the case.

spark plugs? or bad injector maybe? not a mechanic or anything but sounds like fuel issue or gear slipping.

Ferendon
01-07-2008, 01:58 AM
They have to be cleaned every 50-60k miles, and they recharge kit is only $10... If you over-oil the filter, though, you can get fluid on the MAF element, and cause some stuttering, and general bad performance. Nothing a little electronic contact cleaner can't fix. If you clean your MAF, be super careful not to touch or contaminate the element, and let it dry completely before you reinstall it.

Thedeadly1
01-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Engine oil, Tranny oil, Air filter, bad gas. First get a cai, and junk the cats.

MorningWood
02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Take your car to a real mechanic that can do a dignostic on it. It has to be one that is honest AND knows what he is doing, if not he will come up with all kinds of crap that he says needs to be fixed but really does not.

I just went through this -- a couple of "tire store" mechanics came up with all kinds of different repairs.

Like you, I had just had my spark plugs changed not long ago. It turns out that one of the plugs was simply not tightened enough and this was causing an arc that resulted in some buildup. I would highly recommend that you check this out first --- it did not cost a dime to fix.

It seems as though this is likely to occur after a spark plug change.

It is possible to strip the threads if you tighten them too much so sometimes people err on the side of not tightening them enough.

mk_
02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
A tank of 93 won't do any good. It will more than likely make your gas mileage even worse. The octane ratings measures the gasoline's ability to resist detonation (knocking). In other words, higher octane = needs more compression to pop. If the car isn't pinging or knocking, then there is absolutely no need to run anything other than what you have in it now. On cars that don't provide the compression needed to get a good burn out of premium, you're only going to end up with worse gas mileage.

http://www.quiktrip.com/gasoline/myth.asp
Even QT put it on their website.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/pf/saving/willis/index.htm
Again on CNN.
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/consumer_tips/regular_vs_premium.html
And the CEC, citing the American Petroleum Institute.

Do the RPMs do any skipping around, or do they just stutter along with the car. If the RPMs stutter with the acceleration, it's probably engine problems, if the RPMs jump or sit still, it's probably a trans problem. Pull your plugs and take a pick of the electrodes and check them against something like this : http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/diagnosis.htm
If you have an ohm meter you can test your plug wires, assuming you know the resistance per foot they should be at. Most auto parts stores can test DIS modules, if the car has one. This can fail at specific RPM ranges, without failing completely.

x2