PDA

View Full Version : Build log for tomorrow...Have a quick easy question tho

5.0coug
01-02-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm doing a full system in my 01 Buick Regal GS (supercharged so its no old man buick lol) and I know everything i need EXCEPT what is needed for a box build. I got all the plans for DJ for a 2.5ft box tuned to 40hz for my hdc3 12" and have a complete woodshop worth of wood and tools but no glue or whatever else I need. I can do installs and tune all day but this is my first box build so Im lost. Is there a sticky i missed about this or what? Do i need a certain woodglue or certain type of nails? Appreciate any input and trust me tommorow night there will be a complete build log for the following:

Alpine 7838
Infinity Ref 6.5 comps (cheap temps until the focals go in)
Infinrty 3way 6x9 (^^^^)
JBL GTO 75.4 (100rms by 4)
Xtant 1001x (1600+rms at 1ohm)
Dual 2ohm HDC3 12"
Kicker 0 Gauge kit
JL "premium" RCAs
Dynamat entire trunk

Plus a couple of beauty shots of my ***** ;)

IgnoreMe
01-02-2008, 11:53 PM
woodglue : elmers probond or titebond II. you can find titebond II at lowes or HD, and elmers probond at walmart.

fasteners: use screws. nails dont hold anything good enough IMO. if you have clamps, just put glue on the joints, clamp the pieces together. predrill holes every 4-5" or so using a 1/8" diameter drill bit, and then use Griprite 1 5/8" screws from homedepot that com ein the grey box. you can also try the Deckmate screws of the same size, which i prefer. they come with a bit that works really well and prevents stripping.

5.0coug
01-03-2008, 12:00 AM
appreciate it so i guess i gotta head out to HD tmrw for that titebond 2 ad some 1 5/8 griprite screws. Just curious how long did it take any of you for your first simple ported box?

miker
01-03-2008, 12:04 AM
appreciate it so i guess i gotta head out to HD tmrw for that titebond 2 ad some 1 5/8 griprite screws. Just curious how long did it take any of you for your first simple ported box?

That depends on how you build it...

97gmcsierra
01-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Took me a good 10 hour day to finish my first, including time to design it. Didnt do carpet though. I would add atleast 1-2 hrs for that.(Im no good with carpet:( ) Be glad you have a warm shop because it's cold as **** outside. I just built two boxes on my back patio and still have another one to build. GL with the build and post lots of nice pictures when you finish.:D

Measure twice (or thrice), cut once. That always helps me.

Anniku989
01-03-2008, 12:14 AM
I always take my time, but I got my box completely done (from pickup of wood at HD at 9am, to carpeted and in the car) in one saturday. I already knew exactly what I was doing for the box plans, and have built a few before, so it was nothing. Drew out all lines on the 4x8 sheet, cut, rounded off all pieces needing it, and was gluing/nailing/claming within an hour or two. I let it sit for like 8 hours, and carefully carpeted it, and got it in the car that night. I ended up letting it sit that night without turning anything on, to let the glue fully dry.