PDA

View Full Version : Best tuning for streetbeat comp?

oxsign
12-27-2007, 01:07 PM
It's going to be in a ranger blow thru with an opening of 40" wide, as deep as it needs to be (up to 60") & 16" tall. 2 15" FI BTL's fully loaded and 2 Orion 2500. It's also a daily, so I'm trying to figure out what would be the best tuning. Whats your input? :cool:

djman37
12-27-2007, 01:09 PM
you still need to tune high for the meter, so make yourself a changeable port box.
Lower/longer for daily, then have a competition port.

hoss
12-27-2007, 01:10 PM
37ish - 40ish.

oxsign
12-27-2007, 01:11 PM
you still need to tune high for the meter, so make yourself a changeable port box.
Lower/longer for daily, then have a competition port.
I think I can do that. What should I tune for the streetbeat port? I personally like 34hz for daily.

Thx hoss. You posted before mine did, lol.

stuckinok
12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I think I can do that. What should I tune for the streetbeat port? I personally like 34hz for daily.

Thx hoss. You posted before mine did, lol.

depends on the res freq of your ride

oxsign
12-27-2007, 01:16 PM
depends on the res freq of your rideThat i'm not to sure. I peak at 50hz with the setup I have now. It's a very small space (single cab ford ranger).

hoss
12-27-2007, 01:19 PM
depends on the res freq of your ride

you are going to tune below this anyways, and with a daily driver/street-beat/bass boxing set you are going to want a flatter response rather than a peaky response anyways.

i have always had success with daily driver spl set ups tuned in the upper 30's to low 40's. much higher and your peak will start taking away from your lower end for daily, and your extended range for bass boxing. plus the vehicles transfer function will help with the down lows for daily :)

thegreatestpenn
12-27-2007, 01:20 PM
gotta sealed enclosure? if so run tones one by one from 30Hz to 80Hz inside the car, then do the same with the same sealed enclosure and termlab mic outside the car. Subtract inside-car values from outside car values and the highest is your car's peak freq. I gotta whole tutorial on it from polecat, I can send you the file via email if you want it

stuckinok
12-27-2007, 01:20 PM
you are going to tune below this anyways, and with a daily driver/street-beat/bass boxing set you are going to want a flatter response rather than a peaky response anyways.

i have always had success with daily driver spl set ups tuned in the upper 30's to low 40's. much higher and your peak will start taking away from your lower end for daily, and your extended range for bass boxing. plus the vehicles transfer function will help with the down lows for daily :)

but he said he was going to try to do a removable port

oxsign
12-27-2007, 01:22 PM
gotta sealed enclosure? if so run tones one by one from 30Hz to 80Hz inside the car, then do the same with the same sealed enclosure and termlab mic outside the car. Subtract inside-car values from outside car values and the highest is your car's peak freq. I gotta whole tutorial on it from polecat, I can send you the file via email if you want itThat would be great. Please send it to me at [email protected] thx. :cool:

oxsign
12-27-2007, 01:22 PM
but he said he was going to try to do a removable portI will do this if it will give me the best results. I am open to anything right now. Thx for the help guys. :cool:

pioneerpimp
12-27-2007, 01:24 PM
can i receive a copy also please at [email protected], seems very interesting.

hoss
12-27-2007, 01:26 PM
i dont think changeable ports are neccisary at all...

your vehicles transfer function will help carry the low end as long as you dont go excessivly high on the tuning. and you can get suprisingly loud without tuning to the absolute peak enclosure. a large box ported around 40Hz will do good numbers on a mic, and sound reasonably good at the same time.

a box can provide dual functions, its just a compromise between what you want to gain and what you are willing to sacrifice. and i think you can ask anyone who sat in my explorer or my silverado, they didnt sacrifice much from either end :)

skeptikal
12-27-2007, 02:01 PM
a large box ported around 40Hz will do good numbers on a mic, and sound reasonably good at the same time.

a box can provide dual functions, its just a compromise between what you want to gain and what you are willing to sacrifice. and i think you can ask anyone who sat in my explorer or my silverado, they didnt sacrifice much from either end :)

I like your thinking hoss. Every box i've built in the past 3 years has been @ 40hz. IMO unless you are looking for SQ anything below 35 is pretty much useless but tuning at 40 always gives you that extra "umph" when you are showing off :)

oxsign
12-27-2007, 02:14 PM
So a box that is 16H x 40W x 40D tuned to 40hz would have a port (in the center of the 15"s) 18"H x9"W x 15"D (roughly 165sq" of port)? Does that sound about right?

stuckinok
12-27-2007, 02:17 PM
it sounds good but its tuff to say since your building a blow thru

thegreatestpenn
12-27-2007, 02:23 PM
that tutorial has been sent

oxsign
12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
that tutorial has been sentGot it, thx man. :cool: