PDA

View Full Version : PG RSD 5.25" questions

TriXR4Kids
12-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi, first post here. Been lurking for a while and learning alot of good information!! I was wondering how noticeable the dropoff is between the PG RSD 6.5s and their 5.25s. I can easily install the 5.25s in my factory door location without any fabrication (a def. plus for me) so that's why I want to go with them instead of the 6.5s which could be a PITA to install.

There are a lot of great reviews for the 6.5s so I would assume that the 5.25s have to be pretty good too, but never hurts to ask...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I will also be deadening my doors with damplifierPro, and dont have an amp yet. Ive got my eye on this amp: http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap1000.html

Would that be too much power at 160w X 2 @ 4ohms?

tcguy85
12-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Hi, first post here. Been lurking for a while and learning alot of good information!! I was wondering how noticeable the dropoff is between the PG RSD 6.5s and their 5.25s. I can easily install the 5.25s in my factory door location without any fabrication (a def. plus for me) so that's why I want to go with them instead of the 6.5s which could be a PITA to install.

There are a lot of great reviews for the 6.5s so I would assume that the 5.25s have to be pretty good too, but never hurts to ask...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I will also be deadening my doors with damplifierPro, and dont have an amp yet. Ive got my eye on this amp: http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap1000.html

Would that be too much power at 160w X 2 @ 4ohms?

how hard is it to make the 6.5's fit? can you made it fit with a 3/4" mdf baffle/spacer?

i have no info on the 5.25's but i love my 6.5's.

TriXR4Kids
12-26-2007, 08:26 PM
how hard is it to make the 6.5's fit? can you made it fit with a 3/4" mdf baffle/spacer?

i have no info on the 5.25's but i love my 6.5's.

Well, I really want the 6.5s, but I live in an apartment...no garage...no tools :confused:

tcguy85
12-26-2007, 08:33 PM
have any friends with a garage or tools?

fbi90909
12-26-2007, 08:46 PM
just see if soemone here on the forum will make you some rings. should not cost much of any but like 20 bucks. hell there are rings even on ebay.

TriXR4Kids
12-26-2007, 09:01 PM
have any friends with a garage or tools?

Unfortunately all my "friends" are always strung out, and they definitely dont own any tools...

My girl's dad has alot of tools but he's in Iraq :( And I wouldnt wanna use em without him around.

I'll try ebay, see what I can find.

Is the dropoff in quality that bad with the 5.25s??

tcguy85
12-26-2007, 09:06 PM
i haven't heard any reviews or anything on the 5.25's so i don't know if they are as good as the 6.5's are.

TriXR4Kids
12-26-2007, 09:24 PM
i haven't heard any reviews or anything on the 5.25's so i don't know if they are as good as the 6.5's are.

Sorry bout all the questions...new to car audio (does it show :crazy:)

What's the difference like, in general, between 5.25s and 6.5s. I mean, is it night and day or more of a subtle difference?

I went to a car audio shop in KC and they didnt even have any 5.25s hooked up to test so I couldnt see for myself what the differences are...not very helpful service I might add...

I told the guy I was ditching the rear 6x9s and going with comps in the front and subs in the trunk and he looked at me like i was crazy, like he had never heard of that before. I've been researching on the internet for like a week and a half and Ive heard "front stage" referenced in almost every thread Ive read thru and this guy has no idea what Im even talking about!! And to top it off he starts giving me installation quotes like Im actually gonna let this guy touch my car!!

tcguy85
12-26-2007, 09:32 PM
nice, i was kinda working at a local shop part time. i told the owner and one of his other guys about my plans to ditch the rears and just run a powerful front stage and they too looked at me like i was crazy. well this is the 2nd car i have had with just a front stage and a sub, and i prefer the sound.

the difference from the 6.5's to the 5.25's should just be a little less output and a little less low end extension. they just simply won't play quite as loud or quite as low. if you can't fit 6.5's then i guess you have to get 5.25's. are you going to add a sub or two in the future?

TriXR4Kids
12-26-2007, 09:39 PM
nice, i was kinda working at a local shop part time. i told the owner and one of his other guys about my plans to ditch the rears and just run a powerful front stage and they too looked at me like i was crazy. well this is the 2nd car i have had with just a front stage and a sub, and i prefer the sound.

the difference from the 6.5's to the 5.25's should just be a little less output and a little less low end extension. they just simply won't play quite as loud or quite as low. if you can't fit 6.5's then i guess you have to get 5.25's. are you going to add a sub or two in the future?

Actually I bought an older rockford 250@2 amp and two rockford subs in a box a couple years ago for like 50 bucks that I never got around to installing. They've been sitting at my parents house so Im gonna install those too when I get the comps in.

Eventually Im gonna go to a single sub that is more oriented toward good SQ, but the RFs will have to do for now...

TriXR4Kids
12-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah...if i do end up going with the 5.25s, what do you think about this amp powering them: http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap1000.html

Is that too much power??

tcguy85
12-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah...if i do end up going with the 5.25s, what do you think about this amp powering them: http://www.millionbuy.com/prfap1000.html

Is that too much power??

it should power them well. set the gains for around 100-150 watts rms.

tcguy85
12-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Actually I bought an older rockford 250@2 amp and two rockford subs in a box a couple years ago for like 50 bucks that I never got around to installing. They've been sitting at my parents house so Im gonna install those too when I get the comps in.

Eventually Im gonna go to a single sub that is more oriented toward good SQ, but the RFs will have to do for now...

sounds like a good start.

when you move onto a more SQ oriented sub check out the Dayton Reference H.O. line of subs. i love mine!

TriXR4Kids
12-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Alright, cool man. Thanks for the help! Hopefully someone will drop by who has actually used/heard the PG 5.25s so I can get a better idea of what they're capable of. Anyways, thanks...you've been a big help!

Pl8er
12-26-2007, 09:49 PM
it should power them well. set the gains for around 100-150 watts rms.

How do you set the gains to 100-150 rms?

tcguy85
12-26-2007, 09:52 PM
How do you set the gains to 100-150 rms?

a DMM with test tones.

Pl8er
12-26-2007, 09:53 PM
a DMM with test tones.

Doesn't a DMM with test tones only give you the power without clipping? It is still the same wattage, just the signal is not clipped.

or am I wrong? (don't take this as me being a smart ***, I really don't know how to do it and want to learn so I can run my comps with more power)

Also, how much power are you currently running to your comps and for how long have you been doing it? I am running about 80rms but if I bridge I would be running about 150-160. I want the power but I am worried about blowing them.

I do not set my gain with my amp but use my rockford fosgate symmetry (pre-amp).

tcguy85
12-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Doesn't a DMM with test tones only give you the power without clipping? It is still the same wattage, just the signal is not clipped.

or am I wrong?

you can set the gain to whatever voltage (wattage) you want. my amp can do over 205 watts per channel but i set the gain with a -3db tone to set it to 150watts rms. you can do the math and set the gain to whatever number you want.

Pl8er
12-26-2007, 09:59 PM
you can set the gain to whatever voltage (wattage) you want. my amp can do over 205 watts per channel but i set the gain with a -3db tone to set it to 150watts rms. you can do the math and set the gain to whatever number you want.

Do you know where I can get the calculation?

Thanks for the help :) I want to run right at 120rms for these.

tcguy85
12-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Do you know where I can get the calculation?

Thanks for the help :) I want to run right at 120rms for these.

you take the impedance which is 4 ohms and then you take whatever your desired wattage is and multiply them together, then the square root of that number will be the A/C volts that you want to set your gains to.

so 4 x 120 = 480, then you get the square root of that which is 21.9. so you turn the gain knob while playing a tone until the dmm reads that.

TriXR4Kids
12-26-2007, 11:50 PM
That's some great advice TC. I'll definitely have to refer back to this when the time comes when I need to set my gains.

And, if anyone has any experience with the PG RSD 5.25s, leave your thoughts on them here!

Pl8er
12-27-2007, 09:18 AM
you take the impedance which is 4 ohms and then you take whatever your desired wattage is and multiply them together, then the square root of that number will be the A/C volts that you want to set your gains to.

so 4 x 120 = 480, then you get the square root of that which is 21.9. so you turn the gain knob while playing a tone until the dmm reads that.

I honestly did not know that!

Thanks for that info! I'll have to give that a try.

How long have you been running your comps on power over 120?

tcguy85
12-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I honestly did not know that!

Thanks for that info! I'll have to give that a try.

How long have you been running your comps on power over 120?

well i have had them with the gains set to 150 since the day i put them in. they take it just fine. they are never seeing 150 watts anyway since music is dynamic. i think they are most of the time (when i really have them cranked) seeing probably around 80-100 watts. i like having headroom!

Pl8er
12-27-2007, 05:26 PM
well i have had them with the gains set to 150 since the day i put them in. they take it just fine. they are never seeing 150 watts anyway since music is dynamic. i think they are most of the time (when i really have them cranked) seeing probably around 80-100 watts. i like having headroom!

I feel like I am being schooled in amps today (and yesterday).

So my amp is rated at 80rms (from tru while doing the burr-brown upgrade) does this mean that I should just leave it alone? If I bridged it, it would be getting about 150ish rms. Doesn't that mean all the time? Which would end up being a bad thing on the speakers.

tcguy85
12-27-2007, 05:33 PM
I feel like I am being schooled in amps today (and yesterday).

So my amp is rated at 80rms (from tru while doing the burr-brown upgrade) does this mean that I should just leave it alone? If I bridged it, it would be getting about 150ish rms. Doesn't that mean all the time? Which would end up being a bad thing on the speakers.

nah i'm saying you should bridge it. give them 150 watts per side with the gains set correctly. read the gain setting tutorial on here.

TriXR4Kids
12-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Just ordered the 6.5s from audiosavings.com for 87.00 shipped :veryhapp:. Im not gonna mess around with this. I read the reviews on here (including yours TC) and I was sold. As for the installation, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Very nice install on your Scion by the way, TC. I was thinking about mounting the tweeters in the factory sail panel because I already have some factory tweets there. However, Ive read that the tweets should be placed 6" from the midrange driver, but my sails are about 17" from where the speaker will be in the door. Will this cause imaging problems?

headbussaboi
12-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Well, I really want the 6.5s, but I live in an apartment...no garage...no tools :confused:

It can't be that hard. I am in the same position you are. I can make 5.25's fit but I bought 6.5's. No garage, some tools. Watch me make this b!tch fit:).

tcguy85
12-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Just ordered the 6.5s from audiosavings.com for 87.00 shipped :veryhapp:. Im not gonna mess around with this. I read the reviews on here (including yours TC) and I was sold. As for the installation, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Very nice install on your Scion by the way, TC. I was thinking about mounting the tweeters in the factory sail panel because I already have some factory tweets there. However, Ive read that the tweets should be placed 6" from the midrange driver, but my sails are about 17" from where the speaker will be in the door. Will this cause imaging problems?

thanks!

i would mount them near the mid. but then again you get the guys who are putting them in the pillar which is way away from the woofer. mine are probably about 6-8 inches away. i never really measured it. it works very well where i have mine though.

tcguy85
12-27-2007, 08:33 PM
It can't be that hard. I am in the same position you are. I can make 5.25's fit but I bought 6.5's. No garage, some tools. Watch me make this b!tch fit:).

thats the spirit! i'm sure you'll get them in there!

TriXR4Kids
12-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh man, Im getting pumped up now! Im taking the stance of: These speakers WILL fit. No more of this I hope they fit nonsense. I'll even rent some tools if I need to!!

TriXR4Kids
12-27-2007, 08:45 PM
TC, What did you use to cut the holes in your kicks?

tcguy85
12-27-2007, 08:52 PM
TC, What did you use to cut the holes in your kicks?

a hole saw. my buddy here at the house that i'm at just happened to have the perfect size one sitting around.

TriXR4Kids
12-27-2007, 08:55 PM
a hole saw. my buddy here at the house that i'm at just happened to have the perfect size one sitting around.

you dont happen to remember what size that was do you?

tcguy85
12-27-2007, 08:58 PM
you dont happen to remember what size that was do you?

nah i do not, i can tell you that the cut out is 50.5mm though for the flush mount option on the tweet. that comes out to be just a hair under 2" (1.98" to be exact) so i guess a 2 inch holesaw will be perfect.

TriXR4Kids
12-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Hey Tc, I read in one of your posts that you have a kicker 550.2 powering your PGs and you set the gin to 150wrms per side.

I was thinking about getting this amp: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3953.

Since it puts out 150wrms out of the box, does that mean I will not have to tweak the gains? can I just run it right out of the box without any problems?

tcguy85
12-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey Tc, I read in one of your posts that you have a kicker 550.2 powering your PGs and you set the gin to 150wrms per side.

I was thinking about getting this amp: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3953.

Since it puts out 150wrms out of the box, does that mean I will not have to tweak the gains? can I just run it right out of the box without any problems?

that amp will do fine, you will still however have to set the gain to the way you want it.

i chose the zx550.2 cause i wanted to have extra power on tap. you know in case i ever upgrade, i like headroom anyway.

miker
12-29-2007, 02:33 PM
I just bought some... I'll tell you how they turn out... audiosavings had no 6.5"s ( :( ) and 5.25's would fit w/ no modification...

tcguy85
12-29-2007, 02:41 PM
I just bought some... I'll tell you how they turn out... audiosavings had no 6.5"s ( :( ) and 5.25's would fit w/ no modification...

so you ordered 5.25's?

miker
12-29-2007, 02:43 PM
so you ordered 5.25's?

YUp

Gary S
12-29-2007, 03:16 PM
A hole saw is the easiest way, but if the door metal is not double-steel, you might be able to get away with tin snips.

TriXR4Kids
01-01-2008, 09:36 PM
YUp

cool man, let me know how they sound

miker
01-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Will on Friday.. or Saturday.... Since nobody has them I can't get the dimensions before hand to start cutting...

mapolley07
01-01-2008, 09:42 PM
i have the 5.25 RSDs and the midbass is still pretty **** good. I have only about 75-80 watts RMS to them off of a Profile AP1040. I will be ditching my rears and deadening the doors and then bridging my amp to give the comps about 150 RMS over the summer.

tcguy85
01-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Will on Friday.. or Saturday.... Since nobody has them I can't get the dimensions before hand to start cutting...

what dimensions do you need?

i should be able to help ya out.