PDA

View Full Version : Weird sound from one tweeter

wong05tsx
12-26-2007, 12:49 AM
It's like the tweeter is picking up some of the notes the 6.5's should be getting. but instead of producing the bass sound, its a hissing sound, in place of the bass sound, coming from the tweeter. the front left tweeter sounds perfect. At higher volumes the music covers this sound, but when volume is 1-10 it can be heard... so annoying

what i've done trying to troubleshoot it.
-Checked wiring at amp make sure its all snug
-ran speaker wire from front right (messed up tweeter) tweeter to front left xover, same problem

tweeter on its way to blowing:confused:
don't get why it's only happening to that one tweeter, the mids and other tweeter has been working fine.

:wow: thanks

oneflatoniakid
12-26-2007, 04:16 AM
Had the same trouble a few days ago.
Took it to the stereo shop, bought new tweeters & had them installed.
Problem solved,blown tweeter was the problem.
New tweeters are sounding great.

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 04:22 AM
It's like the tweeter is picking up some of the notes the 6.5's should be getting. but instead of producing the bass sound, its a hissing sound, in place of the bass sound, coming from the tweeter. the front left tweeter sounds perfect. At higher volumes the music covers this sound, but when volume is 1-10 it can be heard... so annoying

what i've done trying to troubleshoot it.
-Checked wiring at amp make sure its all snug
-ran speaker wire from front right (messed up tweeter) tweeter to front left xover, same problem

tweeter on its way to blowing:confused:
don't get why it's only happening to that one tweeter, the mids and other tweeter has been working fine.

:wow: thanks
i'm fascinated by your setup. how is that 15" IDQ? it probably gets way low but does it slam hard and still move fast and keep up with drums? also how do you like it paired with those HSKs

wong05tsx
12-26-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm lovin it, coming from a 12" hype-R (my first system), i didn't even know what SQ was until I got this thing in. It's in a 2.5cu @ 32hz built by myself :D came out nice being my first box ever built. The thing is a LOW beast compared to the hype r (sorry nothing else i can compare to). I listen to everything from rap, hip hop, trance, dance, to rock and it sounds amazing doing so. It hits the fast drum beats precisely and quickly.

I just recently put these hsk's in along with dynamat xtreme in the front doors and they're really a night and day difference. (I also disconnected the rear and bridged the amp to feed the hsk's more power, trial and error, huge diff, and def. better giving them 2x the power) They are absolutely the best sounding components i have ever heard, but don't take my word for it since I've only heard type-X comps, RSD's, and some Diamond comps.... until this happened to my front right tweeter =(. It still sounds just as good at louder volumes, but it's so annoying at low volumes!

I'm actually in the middle of a whole amplifier renovation. Just ordered a Sundown SAX 100.4 and 100.2. Bridging the 100.4 feeding the hertz 320watts (compared to current 150watts), and 100.2 to fill my rears again. Also gonna change the 500/1 to a Sundown SAZ1500, give the IDQ an extra 100 watts. I love the way the sundown amps look :D

Had the same trouble a few days ago.
Took it to the stereo shop, bought new tweeters & had them installed.
Problem solved,blown tweeter was the problem.
New tweeters are sounding great.

What tweets did you have in before and what'd you replace them with? Cost of replacing?

-Would it sound weird if i replaced the "blown(?)" tweeter with another brand tweeter, as long as they can handle ~100watts rms?

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 06:14 AM
I'm lovin it, coming from a 12" hype-R (my first system), i didn't even know what SQ was until I got this thing in. It's in a 2.5cu @ 32hz built by myself :D came out nice being my first box ever built. The thing is a LOW beast compared to the hype r (sorry nothing else i can compare to). I listen to everything from rap, hip hop, trance, dance, to rock and it sounds amazing doing so. It hits the fast drum beats precisely and quickly.

I just recently put these hsk's in along with dynamat xtreme in the front doors and they're really a night and day difference. (I also disconnected the rear and bridged the amp to feed the hsk's more power, trial and error, huge diff, and def. better giving them 2x the power) They are absolutely the best sounding components i have ever heard, but don't take my word for it since I've only heard type-X comps, RSD's, and some Diamond comps.... until this happened to my front right tweeter =(. It still sounds just as good at louder volumes, but it's so annoying at low volumes!

I'm actually in the middle of a whole amplifier renovation. Just ordered a Sundown SAX 100.4 and 100.2. Bridging the 100.4 feeding the hertz 320watts (compared to current 150watts), and 100.2 to fill my rears again. Also gonna change the 500/1 to a Sundown SAZ1500, give the IDQ an extra 100 watts. I love the way the sundown amps look :D

What tweets did you have in before and what'd you replace them with? Cost of replacing?

-Would it sound weird if i replaced the "blown(?)" tweeter with another brand tweeter, as long as they can handle ~100watts rms?
It might sound different a little but find out what material is used in the HSK tweeters and when you're buying a new tweeter try to find a company that used that exact material with the same RMS and i think you should be golden :D

good luck

wong05tsx
12-26-2007, 06:20 AM
Material = neodymium

..this will be hard =(

might have to go with silk or something

edit:

speaking of which...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hertz-Hi-Energy-ht-20-100-watt-Neodymium-Tweeter-New_W0QQitemZ160192179268QQihZ006QQcategoryZ14943Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or lanzar? never heard of it
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lanzar-TWS-Pair-1-Titanium-Dome-Neodymium-Tweeter_W0QQitemZ110119459430QQihZ001QQcategoryZ14 943QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p 1638.m118

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 06:22 AM
try ebay for sure i think you should be able to find 1 tweet up there

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=%22tweeter%22+neodymium&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&fts=2&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=49525&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&fgtp=

1094 items found for: "tweeter" neodymium

will take you some time but you should have some luck. did you get your HSKs from an auth. retailer? see if you can just get the tweet RMA'd from hertz

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 06:25 AM
dont go with the lanzar. i don't know a lot but i'm 90% sure that is a bargain basement company

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 06:26 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hertz-Hi-Energy-ht-20-100-watt-Neodymium-Tweeter-New_W0QQitemZ160192179268QQihZ006QQcategoryZ14943Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is that it?!

wong05tsx
12-26-2007, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the help, appreciate it

bidding on this Hertz HT20 tweeter
Power handling is just 25 watts less then the HSK's, should be perfect

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 06:27 AM
np man i'm happy for you good luck

now to try to get to sleep
**** surgery pains :crying:

wong05tsx
12-26-2007, 06:32 AM

is that it?!

yup :cool: ~1day left on bid hope it doesn't get too high :(

Re: Weird sound from one tweeter
np man i'm happy for you good luck

now to try to get to sleep
**** surgery pains

same, minue the surgery part

Hope alls going well for you and happy holidays
good night