PDA

View Full Version : Don't trust Crutchfield's vehicle fitment specs

grampi
12-24-2007, 12:50 PM
They told me my Corolla only had 2.3" of mounting depth in the front doors. This meant my JL XR650 mids wouldn't fit because they're 2.8" deep. However, after I pull the door skin off and remove the factory speaker I put the JL mid in the speaker cutout just to see what happens and it fits with like 1/8" to spare. I purchased a set of Illusion Audio LM-6 mids specifically because they're only 2.1" deep. I think I'm gonna go ahead and use the Illusions just to see how they sound. I've never heard them before, and if there's an area where the JL's are lacking it's the mids.

For me this didn't turn out to be a big deal because I only paid $25 for Illusions, but can you imagine how pissed someone would be if they took Crutchfield's fitment word as gospel and paid a ton of $$$ for a set of spekers only to find out they don't fit?

fwb_1234
12-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Where do you go to see that spec. on the crutchfield site?

I want to see if mine is right.

WhoSayWho?
12-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I have also found that Crutchfield is sometimes overly conservative.

SethPhillips
12-24-2007, 01:11 PM
never have.. never will!

grampi
12-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Where do you go to see that spec. on the crutchfield site?

I want to see if mine is right.

I wasn't able to find it on the site. I emailed one of their techs and he told me what it was. The only thing I was able to find on their site was which stuff from what they sell will fit my car.

desertheat
12-24-2007, 04:42 PM
You rolled your window down right..? Just checking *LOL* Had a bud say the same thing years ago, then rolled his window down, it hit the magnet of his mid and broke his window. Was priceless

jmanpc
12-24-2007, 04:44 PM
mounting depth don't mean ****. i've got subs that are 4" deep in my doors lol

MBrock4u
12-24-2007, 05:24 PM
They are usually close in what they say but, if the specs are close, I wouldn't worrie about it too much. You can always send them back if you need to. They do seem to be a little conservitive in the specs so keep that in mind.

Troydb
12-24-2007, 08:12 PM
I don't think anything they list on their site is correct. I've got a Dodge Ram and their guide said I have 5.25" in the doors with 5 inches of clearence. Well I took my door panels off to find 6x9's in my doors with 3" of clearence!!

CRUTCHFIELD FOR THE OVERPRICED LOSS! :verymad:

livinlegend
12-24-2007, 08:38 PM
they're total liars.

fwb_1234
12-26-2007, 11:27 PM
I've always like Crutchfield.

Fair prices, really with very good customer service.

If you buy something from them, they will try to walk you as far as you need to go in the installation.

Rich B
12-26-2007, 11:33 PM
I wish Crutchfield went back to their old fitment chart, where they listed all the vehicles and gave the sizes for everything instead of "suggesting" what they sell that (hopefully) fits.

livinlegend
12-26-2007, 11:36 PM
honestly i think their "fitment" has more to do with the companies paying them for them to give exposure to their products. think about it - it makes sense. its so convenient that the kicker comp set fits my doors but other comp sets with just as small of magnets (same mounting depth) don't. their fitment has nothing to do with logic and everything to do with the companies paying them for advertising (or they are recommending items they make the most profit on)

however i will say they are a very very unique company and an amazing business model - i'm honestly jealous and flabbergasted

SUMrTOY
12-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Grampi,

I've been doing an exhaustive search for people who may have installed the JL 650's in the front doors of their 2003-2007 Toyota Corollas. So far, I haven't found anything definitive.

I had a set of the VR650csi's in an older car of mine and LOVED how they sounded. I'm not your typical JL Audio fan, as everything else in my car is kicker/alpine... But the VR650's were so warm, smooth, and ****, I wanted to put them in my corolla... However crutchfield says that only the VR600's will fit. It may not be a big deal to just go with the 600's, but if the 650's will indeed fit, I'd rather go with a tad more midbass.

I would be greatly appreciative if you could reply and let me know whether you think you'd go with them or not... I found these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330102036371&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

Which also add a bit more depth, but it seems that they may be a C-hair too small in diameter. These say they have a 5.5" cutout, where the VR650's have a woofer mounting hole diameter of 5.56" / 141.3 mm :verymad:

Let me know what you think...
Thanks again!!!!

livinlegend
12-27-2007, 12:49 PM
SUMr don't buy JL speakers, you can get 10x better for that price

SUMrTOY
12-27-2007, 12:51 PM
SUMr don't buy JL speakers, you can get 10x better for that price

Like?

I've even heard good reviews of the Phoenix Gold Rsd 65cs components... And they're even cheaper :crazy:

whiteZ714x4
12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I am a big fan of Crutchfield, but their prices are crazy.

livinlegend
12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Like?

I've even heard good reviews of the Phoenix Gold Rsd 65cs components... And they're even cheaper :crazy:

What is your price range and I'll give you some honest good recs and even tell you where to go to have them 100% under warranty and cheap

SUMrTOY
12-27-2007, 12:55 PM
What is your price range and I'll give you some honest good recs and even tell you where to go to have them 100% under warranty and cheap

I'm looking for under $200 shipped. Preferably around $150 shipped.

edit-
I have a set of Boston Acoustic SX60's sitting in my closet, but didn't think they would sound that great... Maybe I should just install them?

livinlegend
12-27-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm looking for under $200 shipped. Preferably around $150 shipped.

edit-
I have a set of Boston Acoustic SX60's sitting in my closet, but didn't think they would sound that great... Maybe I should just install them?

I'm not sure about the sx60's but I've heard very good things about the pro60s. If it were me I would make the smart decision and install those, but for your price range I think the PG RSDs would do you good if you like midbass according to the hundreds of reviews on these forums they are a very very good at reproducing midbass. Otherwise the other tried and true sets in that price range:
Polk db65001 (youd still do better with the PGs)

for $220 shipped you could get some Rainbow CMX 265s here on the forums - very cheap I recommend you pick them up. check out the classified section you may find a great comp set cheap if you dont go with those bostons you have

livinlegend
12-27-2007, 01:03 PM
i took the liberty of searching the forum for your sx60s and i would say definitely just install them unless you wanna try out the PG RSD 6.5's. you've got nothing to lose, everything to gain, and you'll save $200 for little increase in quality

SUMrTOY
12-27-2007, 01:28 PM
eh, I can return the SX60's... I ordered them for Christmas, then a local shop started to carry Boston Acoustics. I listened to them in the store and amplified them to about what I would, and can say that they sounded REALLY flat. It may have been the deck that had it set to flat, but it still should've had a little more response.

For the price, I might as well save the money and try out the PG RSD65s.

livinlegend
12-27-2007, 01:28 PM
eh, I can return the SX60's... I ordered them for Christmas, then a local shop started to carry Boston Acoustics. I listened to them in the store and amplified them to about what I would, and can say that they sounded REALLY flat. It may have been the deck that had it set to flat, but it still should've had a little more response.

For the price, I might as well save the money and try out the PG RSD65s.

definitely. good choice :clap:

SUMrTOY
12-27-2007, 01:48 PM
definitely. good choice :clap:

Done... Bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280185866614

They will be powered by my Kicker ZX700.5
I have an Alpine 12" Type R sub coming off the sub channel, these will be the front stage, and I will continue using the stocks for the rears (just tune them down really low) until I feel the need to replace them.

Betrayer00GT
12-28-2007, 01:33 AM
Everything I have ordered from them fit where they said it would. Whether they are "conservative", or just paid for placement, it hasn't negatively affected me.

I like Crutchfield for their master sheets. Plus, there are almost always a couple items they sell that are very heavily discounted. I buy those, or I buy from someone else. I got my Clarion deck from them for less than I could find it anywhere else on the internet. Plus, they are a certified dealer, so I actually have a warranty. That is a plus. Also, I just got some Infinity Reference 4" coaxials for $24. And then my roommate ordered the same head unit I got, but he used my 20% off coupon on it for an even better deal. We both got their master sheets for our cars with our orders.

I am sure the master sheets only help total newbs, but I had never installed a receiver or replaced speakers in a modern car before I ordered them from Crutchfield - so, guilty as charged as far as that is concerned.

Chevyaudio
12-28-2007, 01:38 AM
I wonder if he tried to roll the window down too...lol

just because you have clearance with the rear door skin doesn't mean that it will clear the window.

SUMrTOY
12-28-2007, 07:43 AM
I wonder if he tried to roll the window down too...lol

just because you have clearance with the rear door skin doesn't mean that it will clear the window.

I know I've totally sidetracked this thread, but does anybody have the mounting depth for the PG's?

I probably should've checked that before I ordered, I just assumed it would be smaller than the others previously mentioned :silly:

Flipx99
12-28-2007, 08:51 AM
If the illusions are a good fit, then go with them.

I went with the hertz space 8s in my S-10 because I couldn't get anything else to fit right. They are less than 2" deep.

Gary S
12-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Those fitment guides are only a starting point, not to be taken as gospel... you always have to check the car yourself.