PDA

View Full Version : How to resonate a box?

TBIRD 38 LX
04-07-2003, 05:50 PM
My friend resonated his box and it added a ton of bass ! well, someone resonated it for him. All he could remember from the process is that he went to Home Depot and bought some "Resin" and took an extra hardener... Anyone know anything about this process?

thanks
Andrew

evo2k3
04-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by TBIRD 38 LX
My friend resonated his box and it added a ton of bass ! well, someone resonated it for him. All he could remember from the process is that he went to Home Depot and bought some "Resin" and took an extra hardener... Anyone know anything about this process?

thanks
Andrew

ROFLMAO thats what of the funniest things I ever heard. So he bought fiberglass resin, added a little extra hardener (which just makes it dry faster, no difference in strength) and what, covered his box it in? Generally fiberglassing a box is for appearence, or making things fit curves. As for "resonating" a box....hmmmmm, dont even know what to say to that -- mabey he ported it, but I dont see how fiberglass resin plays into that, unless he used it to stengthen the port or something :confused: ......taken me a minute or two to type the response and I am still laughing my *** off.

B&R Innovations
04-07-2003, 09:49 PM
Yeah that really doesnt make any sence

RMKrider1
04-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Some big time spl people (loyd) Will coat the whole inside of the enclosure with that ****!!! And it supposedly helps! So I wouldn't be laughing except for they way you said "resonated":D But it prolly wouldn't make an audible differance to you. Another thing to add dbs (like .1 .2) Is after you get the box all built angle cut some pieces and put them in the inside corners of your box. Just to make the corners a little more rounded instead of square

crhye250r
04-08-2003, 01:15 PM
LOL...I have heard of coating the inside of a box, but "resonating" a box. LOL.. Thats just too good. No offense man, but i think you need to call this guy on some bullshit, and find out what he really did to the box.

91lacdeville
04-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by RMKrider1
Some big time spl people (loyd) Will coat the whole inside of the enclosure with that ****!!! And it supposedly helps! So I wouldn't be laughing except for they way you said "resonated":D But it prolly wouldn't make an audible differance to you. Another thing to add dbs (like .1 .2) Is after you get the box all built angle cut some pieces and put them in the inside corners of your box. Just to make the corners a little more rounded instead of square

i was about to say the same thing. He said to use about 2 or 3 layers of it.

ws140
04-08-2003, 05:06 PM
probably make the mdf and all seals super airtight for better sound. But I wouldn't waste my time doing it unless you are a big competitor.

i3abyjay25
04-11-2003, 06:51 PM
ive done this w/ a few boxes.. basically all i did was took and brushed some resin all along the inside cracks.. just to help seal air leaks.. it also helps bond the box together..i use to have a problem in blowin my wall out of my box..till i did this to the inside and outside out the box. so yeah, it does help

bigred78797
04-12-2003, 01:45 AM
It wouldn't make hardly any audible difference though. Ive made fiberglass boxes before and like all the boxes i make i always make a test box out of MDFB There is not that much of an audible difference unless the walls aren't thick enough and you are actually hearing the flexing of the box which sounds really crappy. Im sorry but i have never heard the term "resonating" though. Ive heard of fiberglassing, and or fiberglass coating but never "resonating" unless im talking about the actual sound with resonance test. or however u spell that word

fantomas
04-12-2003, 02:23 AM
maybe the box before had a lot of air holes and all he did was cover them up with the fiberglass...i seal all my seams with liquid nails.