PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow vs. Dynaudio

12Voltz
12-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Just looking for opinions. Which manufacturer makes the best sounding speakers? I think they are very close.

Side Show
12-21-2007, 08:31 PM
i think not.... rainbows all the way

Jared530
12-21-2007, 08:35 PM
rainbows

12Voltz
12-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Rainbow has such a variety, Dynaudio just the esotec. Which Rainbows have you guys heard?

flakko
12-21-2007, 08:49 PM
i think we need proof to backup yall's claims...like which sets from both brands you have heard.

2kchevy06civic
12-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah...I need to be seeing some model numbers before I just instantly, without a doubt, choose rainbow over dyn. I'm not saying rainbow isn't a good company but dyn isn't something to just right off so quickly.

Betrayer00GT
12-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Rainbow has such a variety, Dynaudio just the esotec. Which Rainbows have you guys heard?

...and the esotar:

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/car/2way.htm

The $-difference between the esotar and the other of the same size from the page above, but as sold by woofersetc:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1140

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1142

EDIT: I have heard many Dyns, but all home audio stuff. I actually own three pairs of Dynaudio Audience 42 bookshelves, some in my Home Theater, and the rest in my music system.

I must say I don't understand spending like in the above example for car audio, unless you listen with the engine off and in a quiet place. But then, why not listen at home? Well, there are those that compete, of course. Beyond that... :shrug:

kmanian
12-21-2007, 10:43 PM
what price range are you looking for, in the 600-900 I definately like the rainbows (Profi Vans)
I am running the 365's

Worlddre
12-21-2007, 10:46 PM
i think not.... rainbows all the way

rainbows

details please

azbass
12-21-2007, 10:47 PM
dynaudio > everything else.

but thats just me.

Pl8er
12-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Although both speakers in this price range are fantastic in one way or another, they both have different sounds.

You should REALLY listen to each set before buying. If you can find local dealers, do that.

Echo42987
12-22-2007, 10:31 AM
dynaudio > everything else.

but thats just me.

Hands down. I don't think much can even run in the same ball park as a Dynaudio speaker.

-Nick-

kmanian
12-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Although both speakers in this price range are fantastic in one way or another, they both have different sounds.

You should REALLY listen to each set before buying. If you can find local dealers, do that.
Along with that try to get in car auditions, see if there are any sound offs... around you and get into some cars if you really want to see what they sound like. auditioning speakers on a sound board at a shop is almost as bad as buying them blind looking at the specs. There are alot of variables that are often retailer adjustable that are not going to give you a true comparison. Along with the biggest fact that a room with a sound board can not simulate the way they will sound in an car.
Just a suggestion.

Good luck

3.5Max6spd
12-22-2007, 10:52 AM
In all honesty, i feel the Dyns is a more comparable speaker to the Rainbow Platinum line in all aspects (build quality, SQ) and its certainly a speaker better designed to handle big power over its lifetime with its 3" VC's. I've used'm all in my car, sell them both. Theres a reason Dyn has just the Esotec line and no cheaper variants- A Dyn is a Dyn.

12Voltz
12-22-2007, 11:13 AM
I am actually a dealer of both Dynaudio and Rainbow. After setting them up in the sound room and listening to them (Esotec vs. Germaniums), we thought the sound quality of both was phenomenal. However there is definitely a distinct difference in their individuals sound. I was expecting the Dynaudio to blow away the Rainbows, However i was extremely impressed with them. I just wanted to see what others opinions were of the two speakers, becuase if I were a customer listening to a $500 set of rainbows vs a $800 set of Dyns, i would find it difficult to convince me into paying another $300 for Dyns when a $500 set of Rainbows sounds so good.

helotaxi
12-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Unfortunately the sound room isn't a decent representation of how they will sound in car. I've never heard a decent speaker that didn't sound excellent on-axis. At the same time I've seen very few in-car installs where the speakers were all on-axis to the listener and plenty of drivers with an excellent on-axis response start to stumble when placed off-axis.

xtremekustomz
12-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately the sound room isn't a decent representation of how they will sound in car. I've never heard a decent speaker that didn't sound excellent on-axis. At the same time I've seen very few in-car installs where the speakers were all on-axis to the listener and plenty of drivers with an excellent on-axis response start to stumble when placed off-axis.

x10000000000000000 A sound room is the worst place to listen to a sound system for a car. There are too many variables.

kmanian
12-22-2007, 01:00 PM
I am actually a dealer of both Dynaudio and Rainbow. After setting them up in the sound room and listening to them (Esotec vs. Germaniums), we thought the sound quality of both was phenomenal. However there is definitely a distinct difference in their individuals sound. I was expecting the Dynaudio to blow away the Rainbows, However i was extremely impressed with them. I just wanted to see what others opinions were of the two speakers, becuase if I were a customer listening to a $500 set of rainbows vs a $800 set of Dyns, i would find it difficult to convince me into paying another $300 for Dyns when a $500 set of Rainbows sounds so good.

Now what about comparing apples to apples, eg. Esotec with Profi vans or somthing of our liking that has the same MSRP. I agree that it would be a hard sell to justify the extra 300 but there are some that want that extra somthing, and what would they choose dollar for dollar?

PremierAudio
12-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Both have their qualites, and the qualities of each will shine more or less on what your really prefer to hear. So, even though you can get a general census of sound characteristics from people, your ears are going to be the only ones doing the judging on your part. So I guess what I am asking is, do you know what taste you like out of a speaker?

BlackMaxima
12-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Just looking for opinions. Which manufacturer makes the best sounding speakers? I think they are very close.

SONY

kmanian
12-22-2007, 09:25 PM
SONY

now that is :laugh:

Etac
12-22-2007, 09:47 PM
i heard 6spds setup personally.. and granted i only listened to it for so long.. the first thing i said was.. **** now you're making me wish i bought these speakers.. my rainbows sound great as well.. i personally dont think you can go wrong either way.

Keyser Söze
12-25-2007, 01:58 PM
All depends on the operator.

BlackMaxima
12-25-2007, 10:24 PM
now that is :laugh:

well you know i do try