PDA

View Full Version : so odds are my alt is dying - correct?

Etac
12-21-2007, 06:13 PM
drove into a parking lot today and while reaching to grab the ticket - my foot slipped off the clutch... car stalled.. and refused to do anything after that... had to push it into a spot and ifnally got a jump and it started

but now even if i press my brake or put on my blinker my headlights will flicker... my interior lights will dim... car has a slight loss in powerand randomly drops rpms then goes back up.... measured voltage was 13 and change while at idle and after driving for like 30 mins with the radio off.. measured close to 15 the other day...

i know odds are its my alt... any possible way it could be my battery or something else?

Spider Monkey
12-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Could be.

I had an alternator go bad on me once in an older car (thanks the the amps powering my subs) and it took me hours to get home. After it died, I jumped it and got another 40 minutes, 35 minutes, 30 minutes, 15 minutes, then 10, then 5, then 2, then just seconds. Fortunately I got to the drive way before I completely lost the battery.

iagrdshaka
12-21-2007, 06:23 PM
check your connections first

Etac
12-21-2007, 06:24 PM
on the alt you mean or in the car in gerneral?

Spider Monkey
12-21-2007, 06:24 PM
on the alt you mean or in the car in gerneral?

alt and battery.

When you stalled, that little jump that your car makes might have loosened something up.

iagrdshaka
12-21-2007, 07:02 PM
My one of my friends had his car shut off on interstate awhile back after getting an amp and sub hooked up at a local shop. Turns out the +alternator to battery connection was a little loose, so I had to give him a jump start and tighten up everything. He hasn't had a problem since, but **** that was dangerous.

Etac
12-21-2007, 08:11 PM
checked the connections - everything seems to be in place =\
now i just gotta figure out what to do... im beting its the alt - and i always planned on replacing it in a few months for like a 160... but i dont know if im gonna have the money right now to put a really good one in... and i dont wanna waste the money with a stock one.. grr....