PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it tochange the fabric on car seats?

Glock23
12-21-2007, 04:10 AM
My wife is a big fan of blue and she has grey seats. How hard would it be to take the fabric off and put new on?

clbolt
12-21-2007, 04:22 AM
It's easy if you have a commercial sewing machine, hog ring pliers, and the experience to lay it out, cut, sew, and fit the new upholstery. There's a good reaosn good trim shops charge so much for a reupholstery job. It's not impossible to do a decent job as an amateur, but it's going to take you a while to get it right.

I have a 1986 Toyota Tercel wagon. I recently swapped in a set of SR5 seats, so now the interior doesn't match. When I pulled them from the original car, I pulled the covers off, rebuilt the driver's seat with foam from another passenger seat, ran all the covers throught he washing machine, and reinstalled them. I have 3 complete sets of upholstery from new TRD double cab Tacoma pickups. They were removed at my dealership when we installed leather. I'm going to cut all the stitching out, and do the layout on the new pieces using one of the original SR5 covers as a pattern. When I'm done, I'll have something that'll look and wear much better than what you get from most aftermarket fabric.

Then the old Toyota should be good for the next 350k miles.

BrianChia
12-21-2007, 04:25 AM
Seat covers FTW. :)

RipDaJacka
12-21-2007, 04:39 AM
I dont know of ANY local upholstery shop.. My grandad used to upholster Boat seats and he knows how to do it but he says he would screw up since its been 12yearts since he worked at that place.. before that plant shut down they GAVE him a huge sewing machine like that, idk where it is now tho

95BlackGA
12-21-2007, 04:45 AM
Have you thought of searching for a blue seat from a car like your wifes? That'd probably cheaper.

WhiteTrash
12-21-2007, 04:57 AM
it shouldnt be terribly difficult
take the seat covers off of the foam and use it as a template then sew it up
even if you mess up, you can do this 3-4 times for all the seats and it will still be cheaper than paying to have it done
also, you could have the stock seats dyed blue