PDA

View Full Version : Convertible 6.5 comps…angled silk tweets…solid mid bass

cpalcott
12-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Looking for 6.5 comps for a small car…2002 Saturn SL1. I am partial to the convertible/braxial type comps because I would rather not cut up my interior and many on this forum (and others) say imaging is better when the tweet is close to the mid…plus my cabin is short, so I don’t know how much I would benefit from raising the sound stage anyway. Because my cabin is so small, I am also partial to the idea of an angled coaxial mounted tweet so the sound isn’t blasting into my legs. From my own personal listening tests in local shops, I tend to prefer the more laid back sound of a silk tweet. Would still like some really strong mid bass. I listen to, literally, everything…classical, metal, world music, pop, folk, jazz, rap, hip-hop, r&b, country…you name it, I have it. Therefore, I would like something that can reasonably reproduce all styles of music. See my sig for power. Oh, and I have deadened the crap out of my doors with secondskin damplifier pro and overkill plus speaker kits and egg carton foam behind those. Would like to stay under $500.

Only comps I know of that match all the criteria are:

Precision Power 356cs
Polk Audio SR6500
CDT Braxial and CL lines

Any I’m missing? Anybody have experience with these models?

LaserRed38
12-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Here's a suggestion (made to me by CDT Tech support). I have a mustang, so small cabin also. I got some components. Mount the woofer in the door in the stock location. Then mount the tweeter on the kick-panel off-axis. CDT recommended me to do this. I didn't care for my last set up with my tweeters on the sail panels. Aim the tweeters using the angled cup, at the center of the roof (if you have a sunroof or domelight aim right for it). Imaging is pretty good IMO, sound stage is a little low, but bearable for me. I am planning on adding an Upstage kit later. For now I just have the tweeters velcroed onto the kicks. Ghetto...yea I know. Let me aim them wherever I wanted until I got them just right though. Just have to be careful when friends get in..planning on glassing them in eventually...I'd give it a try. Sorry, but I just cringe at the thought of coaxs. I will never ever go back...

jmanpc
12-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Meh, get MB Quart PCE-216 components. Yes, Titanium tweeter, but they sound really good :) But they are convertible, with angled tweets.

cpalcott
12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Can you adjust the angle of the tweet when mounted coaxially or is it static?

Gary S
12-21-2007, 07:45 PM
The new Image Dynamics XS series are a step up from the Polk and PPI.

If you don't need the extension/power handling and want to save some money, at lower power levels, the PPI will have comparable sound quality.

I do not know which models have swiveling tweets.

JoeHemi57
12-22-2007, 10:52 AM
The new Alpine Type X REF has a braxial mount and silk tweets.

DejaWiz
12-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Cerwin Vega V Max 65.

Etac
12-22-2007, 10:41 PM
i doubt you're interested
but for the money - i think these would probaly be great

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=999

they dont have a silk tweet..but it can be angled... the crossover for these coax's are external (and not cheap internal ones). i know gernally comps > coax's - but i had the comps of these and i loved them.. the comps are also convertable (if you look into them) and i liked them better with the tweet in the middle so these probaly sound very similar.. and could handle 100 watts easy and most likely 150..

and when it comes to the laid back sound of the tweet... is really more driver dependant rather than material... granted a crappy silk tweet will probaly sound better than a crappy metal tweet.. but if you take my titanium rainbow tweeters for example.. these things arent harsh at all. period. and usually any problem can be tuned out.. as long as the driver has some quality to it