PDA

View Full Version : My New DLS 4" Comps Showed Up Tonight...

clbolt
12-20-2007, 01:14 AM
What with the holiday rush, my UPS guy didn't come by till almost 8:00 tonight. Actually, he was a day early according to the tracking, so who's complaining.

Anyway, I lucked out on a set of DLS R4s on ebay, so tomorrow it'll be install time. The tweeters are exactly what I was looking for, silk domes small enough to vent mount in my 86 Tercel wagon. The mids were a bit of a shock, though. They've changed to a black anodized cone, and a blue frame. I don't know how they're going to sound, but they're as nice looking a pair of stamped basket 4"s as I've ever seen.

So... Tomorrow... New Hafler MSE88Tn under the passenger seat, driving a new pair of Polk Momo MM455s in the rear, and the new DLS in the front. Hopefully, my RCAs will show up tomorrow, but I've got some cheap ones that'll work for now if not. This little system is coming right along, and it's not costing me an arm and a leg.

jkulysses
12-20-2007, 01:18 AM
What with the holiday rush, my UPS guy didn't come by till almost 8:00 tonight. Actually, he was a day early according to the tracking, so who's complaining.

Anyway, I lucked out on a set of DLS R4s on ebay, so tomorrow it'll be install time. The tweeters are exactly what I was looking for, silk domes small enough to vent mount in my 86 Tercel wagon. The mids were a bit of a shock, though. They've changed to a black anodized cone, and a blue frame. I don't know how they're going to sound, but they're as nice looking a pair of stamped basket 4"s as I've ever seen.

So... Tomorrow... New Hafler MSE88Tn under the passenger seat, driving a new pair of Polk Momo MM455s in the rear, and the new DLS in the front. Hopefully, my RCAs will show up tomorrow, but I've got some cheap ones that'll work for now if not. This little system is coming right along, and it's not costing me an arm and a leg.

:needpics:

clbolt
12-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Sorry about that, here ya go. BTW, the tweeter in this pic is stripped of any mounting hardware in preparation for the vent mount. They came with really nice swivel, angle, and flush mounts.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/clbolt/MVC-010S.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/clbolt/MVC-011S.jpg

Twilight
12-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Nice! Are you gonna run that as part of a 3 way setup?

clbolt
01-04-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm running themids in the stock locations in the dash, with the tweeters mounted in the vents. I have a pair of Polk/Momo MM455s in the rear deck. I'm still playing around with the location for the Momo tweeters. I'm driving these 4 channels with a Hafler MSE88tn. We just got back from a trip to Tampa, and it was interesting running with no subwoofer for 2000 miles. I have a Lightning Audio Storm X1.12.VC2 that'll go in, but I'm still deciding on the amp to run with it, and I need to get the box built.

BTW, the DLS R4s were an absolute steal at $32 plus shipping. At that price, I normally wouldn't expect much, but the mids have a fair amount of punch for 4"s, and the tweeters are great, exactly what I wanted. They have plenty of presence, but they're not so bright that they bother my wife. The new components have widened the front stage noticeably.

JimJ
01-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Thirty-two?

Yeah, you stole those :D

DLS tweets...ah, the ugly little basketballs...they sound really nice, though ;)

If I were you...I'd be forgetting about those Polks and bi-amping the DLS's with the Hafler...man, add some 6.5" or 7" midbasses and another two channels of amplification and you've got one heck of a front stage there.

Eugenics
01-04-2008, 11:44 PM
They're not the ebay fakes are they? :p:

clbolt
01-05-2008, 10:32 AM
They're not fakes, but they are old stock. I emailed DLS about some hardware that was missing from the box, and was asked to email a couple of photos because of problems they've been having with Chinese knockoffs. The rep at DLS verified that they're genuine, and that they were manufactured in 2001. The current ones have a paper cone and a boot on the magnet, along with a black frame. The earlier version had an aluminum cone, no magnet boot, and a blue frame.