PDA

View Full Version : Did I design this Tline correctly?

galacticmonkey
12-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I did a quick read on 1/4 wave Tline design, and was wondering if I got it right. Heres a design I did for one of the cheap Elemental Design 12s. It has an F2 of 25hz I was told. So would this work? Throat length of 11.3' and a Throad width of 8"?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/galamonkey/Tline.jpg

Immacomputer
12-19-2007, 08:20 PM
If you just did the 1/4 wave of 25hz and made that the line length and the line area the Sd of the driver then no, you did not design it correctly.

galacticmonkey
12-20-2007, 04:46 AM
Well what is wrong about that? And how would I go about designing it correctly?

Death By Bass
12-20-2007, 04:51 AM
it would work, but that box is huge! :p

Immacomputer
12-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Well what is wrong about that? And how would I go about designing it correctly?

http://www.quarter-wave.com/

goodstuff
12-20-2007, 03:35 PM

Wow. I wish I was better at math.

Volenti
12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
It depends on what you want it to do, just eyeballing the enclosure it'll "work" as in it'll make bass, probably more suited to HT use in a room than for in a car (it may sound a little bloated in car and lack upper bass punch) , for car use I'd shorten it up some, look at 7'-8' line length with that same line area or even a little larger, 1.2-1.3x driver SD, that'll give you a little more gain.

TL's are dramatically effected by loading in a car so you can get away with a shorter line length than the calcs/theory would suggest.

Immacomputer
12-21-2007, 10:59 AM
And, the line length is not based on the driver's free air resonance but rather its point of resonance in a sealed enclosure of the same size. That will almost be higher than free-air and will never be lower.

Megalomaniac
12-21-2007, 11:00 AM
If you just did the 1/4 wave of 25hz and made that the line length and the line area the Sd of the driver then no, you did not design it correctly.

I am going to take a wild guess and say he saw the overgeneralized- tutorial on meades site.

twisztdauthorit
12-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I'snt the throat supposed to be taperd down ? Or it this only on some designs to cancel out standing waves?

I created a t-line for one of my 10's (fs 25 or 28) i believe. Anyways it hits a hell lot lower then the prefab it came in... definitely a different sound.

BrianChia
12-21-2007, 01:30 PM

Did you buy King's worksheets?

Volenti
12-21-2007, 11:07 PM
I'snt the throat supposed to be taperd down ? Or it this only on some designs to cancel out standing waves?

You can taper it down, that can help smooth the response and decrease the length of the line you need, but at cost of output, an untapered line will have a higher output, you see all this when you start to use Martin Kings Mathcad software and model different designs.

For the most part standing waves aren't a big issue for bass TL's, especially car ones, most of our output happens below 100hz or so, the standing wave ripples are above that so with a decent low pass filter you won't hear them.

80INCHES
12-21-2007, 11:38 PM

i agree and to add..its not taperd
but it looks like a killer ported box though:D

galacticmonkey
12-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Oh, well I designed this to be used as a box for my room, with about 75-100rms. Just as something to test out and mess around with. Anyone know of any good designs that work well for HT? I say HT, but it will only see music if built.

ballstothewall
12-22-2007, 03:49 PM
The cross sectional area needs to be 1.5 to 2 times the Sd

Immacomputer
12-23-2007, 02:16 PM
The cross sectional area needs to be 1.5 to 2 times the Sd

That's not true at all and sometimes, you need a line area lower than the Sd of the driver. I'm about to build a T-line for a 12" sub using only about 50% of Sd for the area of the line. It's also tuned about 6hz above the Fs of the driver.

Did you buy King's worksheets?

Yes, and I also have downloaded all of the papers on the site but I can't find the disk I backed them up onto.